User Tag List

Thread: Sunroof Seal

Default Sunroof Seal

So... Today I cleaned 5 years worth of dirt and dust from around the rubber on my sunroof.

Now my question is... what to put on it to lubricate it and protect it?

My first thought was to use the Meguires interior cleaner/protector that I have, but started to wonder if there may be something more suitable?

Thanks,

Chris.

That will work fine, but will leave residue on anything that touches that seal. These days Automotive rubbers are generally design to last UV a little better.... Personally I wouldn't use anything, because most wet lubricants/protectants leave a residue that encourages even more dust and grit build up. You could try using a dry graphite lubricant.

The rails and mechanisms on the other hand, I would use White Lithium Grease.

I use a Mothers product called "Naturally Black" to restore all exterior rubbers on my car!!!

Works a treat!!! also removes any wax residue from polishing too!!!

Doesn't sound like it needs restoring mate. You just want a dressing. Using a heavy silicone based product like the Mothers one mentioned when it doesn't need it will just speed up the aging process. These products should be used on trim that is already damaged and gone to improve them. Not on surfaces that aren't damaged.

Most trim products for plastic, vinyl etc will also be used for rubber. Check the label on the product you have (could be one of a number of Megs products) and it will most likely mention rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    Doesn't sound like it needs restoring mate. You just want a dressing. Using a heavy silicone based product like the Mothers one mentioned when it doesn't need it will just speed up the aging process. These products should be used on trim that is already damaged and gone to improve them. Not on surfaces that aren't damaged.

Most trim products for plastic, vinyl etc will also be used for rubber. Check the label on the product you have (could be one of a number of Megs products) and it will most likely mention rubber.
    Yeah, the rubber is in fine condition, just had heaps of dirt caked on around the outer edge, where it seals against the hole in the roof (which also had heaps of dirt attached)...

The product I have is "Meguires Classic Shine Protectant"... only mentions NOT to use it on clear plastic, glass, driveways(?), tyre tread and bike seats...

Will give it a go with a tiny amount and see what happens.

Thanks,

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

That product is also for use on rubber. So you are G2G