User Tag List

Thread: Cutter & Polish Recommendations?

Default Cutter & Polish Recommendations?

Hey guys, I just purchased some new Victorian Waxes and before they arrive, i was considering a very light cutter/polish for the MPS.

It gets left outside a bit and i use it everyday so there are faint scratches in the paintwork, its and wear and tear thing more then anything.

Considering when I do a full detail, i wash, i clay bar, i pre wax cleanse, i polish then i wax and then wax again, its a 1 - 1.5 day event lol.

Polish i use atm is Autoglym but i was hoping you have something in spray, I've never used a cutter on the MPS only a Scratch X 2.0 from meguairs but it took about 1 hour to do rear spoiler so i'm also looking at a cutter in spray form.

Currently im considering a Optimum Hyper Compound/Polish Combo which is on special, im handy with a buffer but is there anything else you would recommend?

Another topic is im looking at either:
    Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer
    Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant
    Prima Hydro Spray Wax/Sealant

What i'm looking for is something like a quick detailer that increases the life of your wax and of course leaves an awesome shine.

Thanks for all the help
    James
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Hey James,

For protectant and gloss, I use a combo of Hydro and Slick

I use the Slick after every wash, and the Hydro about every 4th wash to top up the protectant layer.

If yours is outside and exposed to the elements, maybe using Hydro a bit more frequently (say every second wash) might be the way to go.

In terms of cutting, I'll let someone else comment more on that, suffice to say that I use Megs Ultimate Compound. By hand it's "reasonably" mild, however I believe it can be quite potent when used with a machine polisher

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks Dan, good to know I was so used to having my old car garaged and now we have run out of spots and MPS is outside its tuff but the weekly Car Wash helps.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Thanks Dan, good to know I was so used to having my old car garaged and now we have run out of spots and MPS is outside its tuff but the weekly Car Wash helps.

James

When we moved into the new place I commandeered the single garage citing that at the old house my Golf GTI lived out on the street

We'll kick off the car wash meets again in a couple of weeks. I'm missing them too

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Hi James

If you are after compound/polish in a spray form, then the Optimum products are your only option (they are a world first for that type of product). The compound has quite a bit of bite, so you will only need it for the heavier defects, and then the polish for the rest. You can vary the cut of the polish with the different grade pads until you get the desired result. They are very nice to work with compared to other products. Wipe off is much easier than most and they produce little to no dust.

If you are looking for a quick detailer, it is hard for me to recommend anything other than Victoria Wax Quick Detail Spray. This is not because the others mentioned are no good, but it is because you are using the Victoria carnauba waxes. The reason people use these waxes is for the looks. So by coating it with Prima Hydro etc you are kind of defeating the purpose!

I do recommend having a quick detail spray on hand though. If you apply to thick or wipe off too early you might get some smearing. Carnauba waxes aren't the easiest to deal with for this reason. But a quick detail spray will clean it right up if this happens. I wouldn't use anything other than the Vic QD in that case.

You will also find the waxes very durable. Even after beading starts to flatten, they still sheet water very well and the shine keeps going and going.
    Last edited by ZAS; 02-01-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typo

Ok thanks guys, yeah the Zymol I used was hard to get off and i'd need to use about 3 microfibers to do a whole car once i applied it by hand. Generally i was told by a professional detailer that you do 1 panel then do another then move back to the first panel and begin wiping off.

Considering there very light scratches with what you've told me I really don't need the Cutter from optimum hopefully I can get some funds in to buy the 3.8 Litre . How long has the Optimum Product been on the market for? I remember my cousin using something very similar that was pink in colour and spray on and needed a buffing pad and was a polish about 3 years ago he said he swore by it but apparently was only for trade sales?

James
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

The Optimum product has only been on the market for a number of months. I'm not sure what the other product your cousin used, but does sound similar. I've never used or heard of anyone using the Optimum polish by hand though so I can only recommend it for use by machine.

With the Vic waxes, application is exactly how the professional told you. These waxes are quite oily (this is what gives them their appearance on the car) so you use only a very small amount of product. I can do a whole car and barely take the top off the jar!

Coat one panel, coat a second, buff off the first, buff off the second. Remember less is best! It is better to do multiple coats than try and do a single thick coat. All you do is waste product and make it difficult to remove.

Hey guys, i purchased the Victorian Wax detail , and also the optimum pack tonight and rest of tomorrow are going to be spent cleaning car for Knox Car Show .

I've got 3 question thou...

I had my rim Powered Coated and the Rim Protector (spray) I use normally seams not to have the same effect on them anymore since they have been painted is it ok to use some wax on them?

Also last time I was washing my car i got some polish on the black plastic surround for the rear spoiler and this was nearly 6 months ago i've tried a few things to remove the white stain it left for you guys have any suggestions?

How long should I wait between applying the second coat of Victorian Wax?

Thanks Guys
    James
    MPSX-treme

Question 1 - It is OK to wax your wheels. Keep in mind though that these surfaces are subject to high temps. Carnauba wax won't last long. You need a synthetic wax. Prima Wheel Armour, Optimum Opti-Seal or Finish Kare 1000P are all good choices.

Question 2 - Peanut butter works if the marks aren't too severe. Otherwise there are products out there for this but I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head.

Question 3 - Vic Chaos you don't need to wait. Vic Concours wait a few hours

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    Question 2 - Peanut butter works if the marks aren't too severe.
    Only works though if applied using a fresh baguette. None of this cheap TipTop stuff

Thanks guys