User Tag List

Thread: Thoughts/impressions after driving someone else's MPS

Default Thoughts/impressions after driving someone else's MPS

Ok, it's a very very simple idea, and i want it to stay on topic please...

if you have DRIVEN someone else's MPS, preferably cross model (ie gen 1 to gen 2, or 3mps to 6mps), but same model is fine, post your thoughts here

i dont want comments on exterior styling etc, it's specifically if you have DRIVEN someone else's car and how it felt compared to yours... if you havent driving one, dont post (simple idea isnt it?)

here's a nice simple template for people to follow:

Quote Originally Posted by template
    My car:
    Car driven:
    Like's:
    Dislikes:
    Other comments:
    My car: gen 1 3MPS
    Car driven: Postman dan's gen 2 3MPS
    • The stock suspension is much better, and it seems like a far easier car to live with on a day to day basis, still felt sporty, but didnt crash over bumps like mine does (on same stretch of road)
    • Gearstick positioning is much superior, the throw distance with no SSP is about the same as my gen 1 with a 2XS SSP
    • Gearbox feels much smoother as well (engine mount?)
    • Exhaust note is nicer stock

Dislikes:

• Seat isnt as good
    • the steering wheel seems a bit fussy

Other Comments:

• Seems to lack the great big torque spike around 3000-3500rpm
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 30-12-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

My Car - Mazda 2 Genki
    Car Driven: Duggys Blue Beast

I just loved the power of it and being able to sit in sixth on the freeway and put your foot down and zoom zoom, .. admittedly compared to my 2 there is no comparison but I appreciate that my car does okay for what it is ..

Dislike - the speeding ticket I got the first I drove it !!!!! GRRRRR

Cheers
    Dee !

My car: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS Pearl White

Car driven: 2005 Mazda 6 MPS Pearl White - owner - Toddy

Like's: Same as mine when I first drove it, nothing too special, but over time Toddy and I have modded ours and Toddy's gets more power to the ground. Pretty much each mod we've done we've exchanged drives at some point. Although, not sure he'll let me drive it now with the BNR stage III turbo. I notice a difference in Toddy's ride when he had the boost controller running and also the 17-18psi from the TMIC compared to mine as stock.

Short shifter in Toddy's feels great, close shifts.

Dislikes: Lol, it's not for me to say what I dislike of his car...only what I "do" like ....If anything, perhaps the car might feel slow off the mark in the lower gears due to the large pull (haven't really had time to compare though) I assume mine with the stock small K04 turbo and tune it might feel a little more aggressive in the lower gears, but in the higher gears opened up, there's nothing to dislike on Toddy's 6

Other comments: A great way to try some mods before you purchase....just drive a mates car...I think it's time for a swap again so Toddy can drive mine with the Hypertech tune installed and see if there is a difference to his bigger turbo.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

My car: Gen I 3MPS
    Car driven:Gen II 3MPS
    • Loved the location and position of the gearstick.
    • The armrest is adjustable

Dislikes:

• Felt numb, no well planted on the road, little to no feedback through the steering wheel.
    • Seats and steering wheel.
    • No punch
    • Too quiet but an aggressive exhaust note wouldnt suit with the car
    • Location of the handbrake

Other Comments:

• Reminded me of the Golf GTI I test-drove when I was on the market for the MPS
    Last edited by Nirvandan; 31-12-2010 at 12:31 AM.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

My car: Gen II 3MPS
    Car driven: PremHK's Gen I 3MPS
    • Seats are much better and provides more side bolstering
    • More of a 'brute force and ignorance' feel regarding power delivery and torque steer

Dislikes:

• More of a 'brute force and ignorance' feel regarding power delivery and torque steer
    • Shifting not as precise. Stick feel is generally sloppier.
    • Chassis felt less balanced under hard cornering. Tendency toward more understeer than the Gen II
    • Needing to use something called a 'key' to operate it....wtf is up with that??

Other Comments:

• Power delivery feels more aggressive, whereas the Gen II is generally more composed. The Gen II definitely has less 'fanfare' about it when putting your foot down, but I do believe it gets the power down better overall. More 'grip and go' so to speak.
    • I really didn't like the gear shift. It felt very vague and imprecise. I see now why many talk of missing third when shifting. Wouldn't be hard to do.

I've mentioned 'brute force and ignorance' as both a like and dislike simply because I could easily go either way depending on how I was feeling at the time. If I was in the mood to thrash it about, I can see how it would be masses of fun. However if I just wanted to putter it about, I would find it more tiresome and irritating than the Gen II.

I see exactly what Mazda were talking about when they said the Gen II was more evolutionary than revolutionary. They've gone to a great deal of trouble to refine a lot of the stand-out characteristics of the Gen I (eg. more progressive power delivery, tauter chassis etc) . Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is solely dependent on personal viewpoint, and, as I mentioned above, how you're feeling at any point in time.
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 31-12-2010 at 08:58 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now