User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19's and you - Wheel fitment to MPS6 question

So you are running a 19"x8" rim with an offset of +45? Do you think a 225/35/19 tyre would rub as that is what is on my rims, keeping in mind that a 225 is both narrower and shorter? I am guessing if the 235's were rubbing big time then the 225's would rub atleast slightly as well.
    Last edited by naddis01; 01-01-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
    What offset do the CX9 rims run? 52.5 as well?
    20 x 7.5J 45 offset

Blog Entries

So you are running a 19"x8" rim with an offset of +45? Do you think a 225/35/19 tyre would rub as that is what is on my rims, keeping in mind that a 225 is both narrower and shorter? I am guessing if the 235's were rubbing big time then the 225's would rub atleast slightly as well.
    My bet from the feedback here is that the 5mm difference in the location of the 225 sidewall at the shoulder and the smaller diameter means the 225 really might get away without a gaurd roll. I think it would be a bit like 215/45R18 on 18x8 - rubs so rarely that most drivers with the fitment might never experience it.

Having said that - it's only $100 or so to roll the gaurds. If you want to fit 235 you need to. If you fit 225 you might still want to. Why not just roll the gaurds and have the flexibility?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Having said that - it's only $100 or so to roll the gaurds. If you want to fit 235 you need to. If you fit 225 you might still want to. Why not just roll the gaurds and have the flexibility?
    I am not sure why he doesn't want to roll the guards. It sounds as though he isn't interested in the wheels if he has to do it.

I considered 225s but bare in mind that even the 235s comprise the stock rolling diameter thus being defectable. I can remotely remember that 225s were significantly smaller than the stock rolling diameter hence it is possible to throw the speedo out. If you get defected its as easy as swapping the wheels over, and bare in mind as its often difficult to work out the rolling diameter of a rim cops generally enforce a 2" bigger rule but in NSW it is illegal to compromise rolling diameter by 2.5mm.

My rims are 19x8", I bought them second hand and theres no visible mark of offset on the rim but I'm 99% sure theyre +45. My passenger rear would scrub epicly, even to the point where it actually hacked away rubber from my tyre. For $100 I wouldnt bother swapping tyres etc I'd get the guards rolled. At first I was hesitant as I thought it would be visible and compromise my warranty, but you can't notice it. I've now done around 3000km, of which some drives have had 3 passengers in the rear and a boot load full of crap and it hasnt scrubbed since.

Aside from rolling the guards I considered going a narrower rim; say 7-7.5" but fortunately I didnt need to.
    Would it be possible to try the rims on beforehand? The scrubbing issue should only occur at the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by skyna View Post
    I considered 225s but bare in mind that even the 235s comprise the stock rolling diameter thus being defectable. I can remotely remember that 225s were significantly smaller than the stock rolling diameter hence it is possible to throw the speedo out. If you get defected its as easy as swapping the wheels over, and bare in mind as its often difficult to work out the rolling diameter of a rim cops generally enforce a 2" bigger rule but in NSW it is illegal to compromise rolling diameter by 2.5mm.
    I don't think you are right regarding the rolling diameter. In NSW anyway. This is from the RTA website.
    The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by skyna View Post
    Aside from rolling the guards I considered going a narrower rim; say 7-7.5" but fortunately I didnt need to.
    Would it be possible to try the rims on beforehand? The scrubbing issue should only occur at the rear.
    Does it make a difference by going to a smaller rim if the offset and tyre size is still the same?

My location is a problem for trial fitment.

235/40/18 is pretty much the same as 215/45/18

I don't think you are right regarding the rolling diameter. In NSW anyway. This is from the RTA website.

Does it make a difference by going to a smaller rim if the offset and tyre size is still the same?

My location is a problem for trial fitment.

Unfortunately I don't think so as my problem appeared to be with width as I also fitted an 18x8" and it still scrubbed badly. You could try as I havent wheel alligned mine since I've owned it (couple of months) but I doubt that'd influence it badly.

Apologises for wrong info, brain is still recovering from NYE celebrations but I knew it was around there somewhere as I had to go into it fairly deep with my old car when I got defected (wrongly). Either way, using a tyre calculator TYRESAVE: Tyre Size Calculator you're out 34mm using 225/45/19 or 5.22% and only -4mm or 0.61% using 235/35/19.

I knew the answer to the question I asked in my last post.

You must have had a big NYE because I am out around 10mm (within the rules) using a 225/35/19 as fitted to the wheels, when comparing to stock 6 MPS tyres.

Only trying to help. I'll be honest, I've only given it a skim read (and probably read 35 as 45) but either way mate, shes gonna scrub and scrub big time if my experience is anything to go by. If you have a look in the inner guard, theres an inner lip that is roughly 10-15mm and this is the problem.

I think that pretty much surmises your question and yes pretty much all yesterday and this morning was spent recovering - excessive consumption of alcohol and complete lack of sleep
    Last edited by skyna; 02-01-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Using narrower rims will reduce the likelyhood of rub. 7.5" instead of 8. Clearance calculation is still the same and so is the reccommendation to roll gaurds for 19x8+45. The reason for this is that the tyre shoulder is in about the same position with either fitment - this is what I am basing a recommendation on. This doesn't change between the 7.5" and 8" wide rim.

What changes is the position of the tyre bead and the shape of the sidewall. A fitment that doesn't rub at 7.5" is more likely to rub at 8" and vice versa. In the example of a 7.5" that didn't, then the 8" did, you would expect the rub to occur on the sidewall, closer to the wheel than the shoulder - because the fitment is wider at the rim, but almost exactly the same at the shoulder.

Regarding diameter, I'd suggest taking specifications from your tyre manufacturer not generic fitment charts.

225/35R19 is probably a little small, but if my recollection is correct, it's not too small. 225/40R19 is another option, although being bigger it would have higher rub risk (towards the vertical lip section of the arch) than 225/35, it would be less or similar to 235/35R19.

I'm tempted to suggest 225/40R19 on 19x7.5+48 as a target ideal. But they're not common sizes. 235/35R19 on 19x8+45 much more so.
    It has good sidewall depth, is only +1.5mm diameter over 225/45R18, so is certainly within the legals....inside track within 0.5mm of stock position (meaning stock steering weight and feel - lower offsets lighten steering), and will fill the gaurds better than small 225/35.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

12. Default

I have a similar question and didnt want to start a new thread.
    I am looking at buying some 2nd hand rims of another forum, to go on my MPS6. They are 18x8 +55, so quite a bit wider then stock. Do you think that these will fit ok?

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MattF20C View Post
    I have a similar question and didnt want to start a new thread.
    I am looking at buying some 2nd hand rims of another forum, to go on my MPS6. They are 18x8 +55, so quite a bit wider then stock. Do you think that these will fit ok?
    Dunno how much clearance these cars have on the inside. Going to that size from standard means 16mm LESS clearance on the inside and 10mm closer to the outside (the guard).

Wheel Offset Calculator

Me thinks it would be ok, however as always, proof would be in the fitting...

Adrian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12