User Tag List

Thread: heat wrapping downpipe

Default heat wrapping downpipe

Hi there i have resently fitted a downpipe on my mps6 and once stopped noticed the extra heat which is given off by the down pipe, i know this is because the new pipe has no heat shielding like the stock pipe but has any body thought about this causing problems down the line? also has any body heat wraped there down pipe to try to get arround this? as i believe there is not a problem with cracking a stainless steel down pipe if you was to use this method.

Thanks

Heat wrap causes the heat to stay within the pipe, yes, but stainless steel doesn't like continous heat. With mild steel it will promote rust quicker, with stainless, it can also cause it to deteriorate faster.

Stainless steel suffers from thermal fatigue from too much heat. It also work hardens. If you are worried about heat, either have the DP HPC coated or have some aluminium heat shrouds made to suit.

Hi there
    Thanks for that.
    Are there if any long turn issues from the heat as i can feel a slight amount of heat from the downpipe in the foot well, about half way up the foot rest beside the clutch peddle. does any body else notice this heat? there is what looks like a wiring harness and control box of some kind in close proximity just what to make sure this will not cause any problems down the line.

Thanks in Advance

Jay

4. Default

i would wrap your o2 sensor wiring located on the dump pipe. with exhuast tape or some high temp stuff. you should be able to move this behind the fire wall sheet if its still there. most likely you'll have to remove the battery
    to re run the wire. its simple job. the heat will fry your o2 sensor wiring over time. just muke sure the wire is well protected. good luck. some one on this forum, had a hole step by step to do this lol. beats me who.

The top O2 sensor wire is about all I would shroud. It already has a heat resistant outer layer. I tucked mine behind the firewall shielding.
    Wrapping the whole DP would cause heat retention and the SS to degrade with time.
    If you are getting heat through the floor then I'd put a heat shield on the floor pan - it would solve your problem, leave the DP clean to more effectively radiate heat away from itself, and fitting a shield is easier than wrapping the DP anyway.
    It's all another good reason to consider bonnet louvres at the rear of the bonnet to dispel heat from the rear of the engine bay - see my previous item and example photos on this on http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...tml#post148943
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 06-01-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

6. Default

yep spot doug