User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Downpipe Related, ways to prevent CEL?

Yea ok so a few of us have had the same problem, Cton had his patched recently so am keen to hear what experience he has had so far. From all reports the sensor extension is simply a bad idea with the Gen II, if anything it should be the P0421 code that they patch out. The sensor itself still works fine.
    Last edited by Reedy; 07-10-2011 at 12:56 PM.

We moved the 2nd O2 sensor AFTER the cat. CEL gone now for almost 12 months.

Are you considering trying this?

The sensor is after the cat in the CP-e DP. it has to be in a Gen II.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Keep us up to speed if Ecuteck have now developed a patch for P2096.
    Yep my car is done ....

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Reedy, I still think you should jack the car up and pull the extender out.
    Ive pulled my rear O2 out with the crappy ass jack that comes with the car. you should be able to get to it.

Getting under the car isn't a problem, it's getting my hands and tools into the cramped space that I wasn't confident enough with.

Car goes in on friday to have the fix applied.

Fingers crossed!

Fix was applied on friday, I havent driven much since but I have definitely gone further than I could before without a CEL coming on..... Looks promising.

Maybe it's the CPe DP with the Gen 2.

Cton has the Best Mufflers one and had exactly the same sequence of events. I still don't know whether that initial P0421 code was a once off or not. Probably never will. Still don't care about emissioned based CEL's anyway so the less likely either of them are to occur the better.

I have only done 70k's since getting the fix applied and just had the same P2096 code come back again.

Next service ill get the sensor bung removed and put back to normal, then we will see if the original P0421 comes back, if so i might see what CP-e can do for me, they have offered to replace the cat for free but that will involve shipping the bastard back to them and I dont want to do that.

If you have the ability to see what voltages the rear O2 sensor is reporting then grab some numbers. Do this prior to removing the bung then afterwards.

In terms of ECU logic and overall system health, the P0421 code is preferable to getting a P2096.

technically, I think if you got it fitted and supplied by MPS Garage, who are the Australian distributer for CPE, It should be up to them to send it back for you, and CPE should fit the bill. Thats if its a warranty claim on the cat. If you got it shipped from somewhere overseas to you, then you had it fitted somewhere, then its on you.
    So Jim has flashed the p2096 fix in for you as well? strange.
    I would email Ecutek UK just to let them know you are still having the problem after the update. Their customer service combined with Jims is second to none.
    Im sure they can sort this out for you.
    Id also want to be finding out if your cat has crapped itself. It has been known to happen with the CPE DP before...

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Id also want to be finding out if your cat has crapped itself. It has been known to happen with the CPE DP before...
    Especially if the car has a P2096 thinking it's running lean, it will be dumping more fuel in to compensate, so making a greater chance of buggering up the cat.

Emissions related error codes don't affect the tune, ever. It's not compensating by dumping more fuel.

My DP was supplied and fitted by MPSG, as I said CP-e have already offered to replace the CAT free of charge but that will involve costly shipping expenses and wasting time having the DP removed and refitted again.

The big unknown is still whether that P0421 code was a one off or not.

It will put in more fuel with a P2096, to get the fuel trims "right" as it's being reported lean. The rear O2 sensor is used in fuelling calcs on these cars, but not exclusively.

From your standpoint a P0421 is a much better thing to have, that's just a cat inefficiency code.

Since DP install, has anyone put a spanner on the exhaust system and tightened everything up for you?...

I have to agree with Dan. I had the P2096 for months. I'd blow heaps of black smoke on WOT, would regularly get backfires (I miss them ) and exhaust tips would be black after 30mins of normal driving. Definitely more fuel on that CEL.

Mine is blowing no more smoke now than it did when it was stock standard.

Reedy ,update please as to continuing P2096. Jim as sent my details to Ecuteck for flash /patch as well this date.

Noticed u still had P2096 after patch and some 70klms. and i dont want to drive to Sydney if the patch is not working completely.
    Couple of days ago i removed the euro cat extender and cleaned and replaced my sensor ,(thick black).

I am booked in for a service on Friday. At this I am going to ask them to remove the O2 sensor bung and put it back to normal to see if the original P0421 re-occurs.

The P2096 is still persistent despite the ECUTEK fix, if I clear it then it comes back consistently after about 50km. At present I have both a P2096 and P0137 (O2 sensor Low Voltage), which isn't a surprise as the low voltage on the O2 sensor causes a false P2096 code to occur.

Once I go back to normal and have the O2 sensor bung removed that should get rid of the P2096 code, the only issue after that is to see if the Cat efficiency code comes back and if it does, I'll either just deal with it or get a new CAT installed, CP-e have offered to do that free of charge anyway but I don't think I could be bothered shipping it back and forth.
    Last edited by Reedy; 16-11-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast