User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Downpipe Related, ways to prevent CEL?

Ok I've got my hands on an OBD2 reader now, turns out one of my workmates had one in his car.

Will take a look at things when I get home.......

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    So from the sounds of it the O2 extension was probably the wrong thing to fit, and there's a good chance that has turned my harmless CEL into a harmful one. Turns out the standard fix for the Gen 1 isn't appropriate for the Gen 2. I need to get this latest code read asap.

Is this extension easily removed without trashing the sensor? I'm not too keen on taking it in and spending $100 on labor for something that I can probably do myself in 2 minutes.
    Yeah, you can do it easy, just need a jack, some stands and a couple of medium sized shifters. dont pay to get it taken out,
    Ive done all sorts of logging, and trust me the extension makes it worse. under vacuum the air is pulled out of that extension and the voltage will drop, If it drops to 0.0 a couple of times on a warm start, it'll come on. i have also watched my AFR change after its come on. even after i've cleared the code. To get the afr to come back to what it should i had to do a full reset by disconnecting the battery, let us know what code you got when you know

Looks like you were right Cton, it's a P2096 code.

Yeah, pull the extender back out.
    You may find the other code you got was a one off.
    Once you've taken it out, take off the negative battery terminal for 1/2 hour and press the brake pedal a couple of times to make sure the power is drained. Then see what happens from there on.
    Last edited by Cton; 13-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.

I've cleared the CEL but can't get the car high enough off the ground to get at the O2 sensor easily.

Ill just see if it comes back and if so, will take back to TH to undo.

The second O2 sensor has no bearing on the base tune, just the CEL.

The ECU can only make adjustments to the tune (in cruise mode) but not during WOT (the ECU reverts to the base tune)

Leave the extender in, take it out, it won't do anything to the base tune, just clean the O2 sensor with a rag (no fluids) and air (preferably compressed air) If the O2 sensor is dirty, regardless of the extender, it will still cause a CEL.

The extender works better for (Gen 2) cars running 200 cell cats. Gen 1's can run catless, when fitted with a second O2 sensor extender.
    The second O2 sensor MUST be placed after the cat in Gen 2's only. Again, Gen 1's can do whatever they like

Gen 1 (3 MPS), 6 MPS and CX7 have a different ECU to the Gen 2 (3 MPS). The "window" for variance is greater for Gen 1 than Gen 2.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Either way, the less CEL's I get the better, even if it doesn't cock with my tune.

Will get the sensor removed when I can. Just in a bit less of a rush to do so now.

CP-e have up and offered to replace the cat free of charge, I guess CEL's are bad for business for them. it would be cumbersome to box it up and send it to the US just to have a cat replaced but that's still good of them to offer it.

Just had a good chat with Tony, the sensor extension that Tunehouse use has its own CAT element in it which makes it operate a bit differently to your standard extension plug.

The P2096 issue with low volts caused by removing the sensor from the downstream can be fixed with an ECUTEK patch. They are going to send my tune to the UK for them to fix it up and will re-flash it for me. Said it would take about 10 minutes to do once they get it back.

Will see how it goes, should be able to get it done on the weekend & will report back.

It seems a bit odd putting in the extension for a P0421 code then removing the P2096 code. Why not just remove the P0421, or make it less sensitive?

Exactly my thoughts! Why not just remove the cat code in your case?

You heard anything from TH Cton? They said it would take a few days and they would contact me again but haven't heard anything. i'll call them this week, i've got a track day next monday and I would really like to have this CEL issue cleared up beforehand.

Yeah mate, getting mine done tuesday.... Although it hasnt come back on again. still getting it done though.

I have my own OBDII reader now and the P2096 code comes back 5 minutes after i've cleared it every time. Interested to see how yours goes Cton.

Got a call from Jim today, after some discussions with ECUTEK my software has been sent to the UK for them to poke around with. Once they get it back I will be good to go.

Now I have a Wifi OBDII reader and some proper software to use I have got the P2096 code still staying on but also an O2 sensor low volts code listed in the developing faults list. That one is definitely due to the sensor being moved out of the exhaust flow. I'll be putting the car in for a service by the end of the year so will get everything tidied up when I do. Still going to push for the extension to be removed the P0421 code to be patched out of the ECU.

In hindsight, I should have just cleared the P0421 code and waited to see if it reoccurred. I never had that chance.

I wonder if a change in resistance when the extension is added also affects the readings? We're talking miniscule/fine measurements being taken by these sensors and converted to an output voltage, changing the electrical properties of the sensor by adding extended wiring could throw the readings out. If you get a chance when they're changing the extension back to normal, whack a multimeter on it and see if there's a difference in resistance measurements between the two setups...

The sensor voltage is dependent on exhaust gases flowing freely over it, all the sensor extension does is draw it back away from the exhaust flow where it is still exposed to the gases, but is no longer in the main stream.

The wiring doesn't change, just the physical location of the sensor relative to the exhaust flow. I could build an amplifier circuit to fudge the results but I'm not about ot go hacking into my cars electronics.

Ahh rightio, all the talk about extensions had me thinking the wiring was altered...

Cton is exactly correct the millivolts are not reaching range for 2nd o2 sensor .i have this exact prob for some time Reedy and when Jim at tunehouse tried to patch with my Tune ,he was not able to at that time.
    My dashawk has confirmed voltage ranges and this is because the 02 sensor is not getting hot enough . I have the BM DP with thde 100 Cat and my second 02 sensor is mounted b4 the cat ,i have also tried many diff extenders ,the last one being an extender with a built in euro 4 style mini cat .this does not work!!!!!!.
    When u remove the extender ,clean the sensor as per previous advice as u will probably find it filthyblack with carbon ,this is due to it not getting hot enough and burning excess carbon off. remembering these cars run pig rich.
    Keep us up to speed if Ecuteck have now developed a patch for P2096.
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast