User Tag List

Thread: Upgrading speakers and running through Bose Head Unit

Default Upgrading speakers and running through Bose Head Unit

Hi all,

I've always been disappointed with the stock Bose speakers so was looking to upgrade the fronts. I'd prefer just to replace the speakers and run them off the existing head unit - not looking to add amplification unless i really need to.

From researching I've found the standard speakers are 2 ohms. Im looking to replace them with JL Audio C5 splits which are rated at 4 ohms, with a decent sensitivity of 90dB. I'm assuming the head unit will be able to run these new speakers easier than the OEM Bose speakers because they won't draw as much power. But will the stock head unit be able to pump enough power at higher volumes? I rarely have the stereo cranking, but i do like to turn it up every now and then.

So are 4 ohm rated splits going to work off the stock head unit or should i consider amplificaiton as well?

Any help much appreciated

Blog Entries

Bottom line is it will work but it will be a lot better running an aftermarket amp.

Polk audio 7x5s 60rms without amp are lovely...and cheap....add a focal underseat subwoofer and you're laughing - less than $1000 fitted

Thanks for the replies

jimred07 - do you run your Focal sub from the existing sub amp or did you replace the amp as well?

Blog Entries

Just a comment - Jimred's is not the Bose unit... Does sound good with the sound deadened doors and speakers though.

Blog Entries

yep almost forgot, thanks for reminding me Simon, but sound deadening is one of the best things to make your system sound better.

Bear in mind the bose sub is a small unit and either sitting on the spare wheel or under the parcel shelf. Both have negatives from a sound point of view, the spare wheel mount is too far away from the driver and the under shelf unit loses heapds of sound by the time it gets through the seats etc to the driver.

My Focal is running off one of the door speakers and is sitting right next to me...booming away. very happy with it, volume level controls are in the rear ashtray, just reach over and adjust if needed.

With the extra bass I have been able to set my head unit to zero (bass, treble etc) and let the tweeters tweet and give me more mid and upper range.

ALSO...just bought a small amp (small in size) to act as a pre-amp for my blackberry to get a decent amount of sound into the headunit to match the cd/radio levels.

Sound deadening is a must.
    Faster than swallowtails Passat...and it has a letterbox