User Tag List

Thread: Potential MPS6 owner

1. Default Potential MPS6 owner

Hi!

My name's Mark. I'm currently looking at potentially buying an MPS6 in the near future.

I currently drive a 1991 3rd generation Honda Prelude, which has been modified a fair bit. It's a brilliant handling car and I love it to bits, but I think it's time to upgrade and move to something a little bit more grown up (I bought it when I was 22, now I'm 27)

The MPS6 has always attracted me, due to it's subtle yet muscular appearance, but a fiery engine and AWD performance. That suits me perfectly, I'm not one that really likes to scream "look at me!". Tasteful and classy is the way I like to roll. And looking at other cars around the same spec, it really fits the bill. They are also somewhat rare!

I don't have any experience with driving or owning a turbo'd car so I'll be looking around here for as many tips as possible. I'm currently a member of the Prelude Australia car club so don't worry, I know the importance of searching and reading stickies!

I'm searching for an example under 100,000kms that is stock (or lightly modded at the most). Budget is around $25k. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for, in particular? I've read about smoking seals, and a grabby clutch from the factory.

Should I buy one, I'm thinking of just basic mods like lowering, SRI and maybe a DP. I also really want LED tail lights and halo's on the front - I think they'll really modernise the car.

Anyway, it's good to be here and there's a wealth of quality information and fun which I think is the mark of a good community. All help is appreciated!

Peace

Markc

2. Default

Welcome Marc

Congrats on making the decision to get yourself an MPS6, they are a fantastic car you wont regret it. You should be able to pick up one with those kms in that price range easy, guess just depends on the colour your after.

The cluth is grabby in the early models of them, and takes getting used to but by all means its not bad just something to get used to.

There is a thread here on problems with the MPS6, some people have some problems, others have none ... a bit like life I guess

Maybe try and get along to a vic meet to talk to some of the guys there, they are a very friendly bunch and a couple of them have more taste and class and are driving MPS6's

Red one for sale on here http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...zda-6-mps.html
    Last edited by blackbetty; 21-12-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Gday Mark and to the forum!

The MPS6 is a great choice in vehicle (naturally as myself and BB own one!) I'm sure you'll be happy with the car off the bat but IMO with a few tweaks (if you're into that kinda thing) it can be a stunning car. I have referenced a few threads that may be of interest to you if you're considering a MPS6 hope they help

Sticky | Hints and Tips for purchasing a used vehicle

Sticky | Mazda 6 MPS workshop manual

Sticky | Smoking Turbo Seals

Sticky | Mazda 6 MPS problems you've had, warranty fixes

You're welcome to check out my thread on my vehicle if you like. There's a bit of info and pics. Some of the mods you may/may not like. To access my thread just click on the RR below on my sig. Any questions about the vehicle, post em up and we'll help you out.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Welcome Mark.
    Congrats on your decision, and good luck with your search.
    I had the same concerns as yourself when looking for my MPS6, and decided to focus on non-modified vehicles only.
    I ended up buying a one owner car from a Mazda dealer simply because they were able to offer warranty (not too pleased about having to have it serviced with them, but thems the breaks) and genuine history.
    Your budget sounds about right, and although they are not that common, there are always e few around, so you should end up with a selection to choose from.
    Keep us informed about your search.

5. Default

Thanks everyone for the replies and welcomes!

Rogwick, your ride is beautiful, something I'd be hoping to emulate.

One thing that I can't find much info about: is there any difference between a 2005 and 2006 models? I've only read that the 06 can play MP3s, but that's the only difference?

Thanks Marck, done a bit of work on mine to make it look a little different. Keen to see what mods you might plan one day.

There is a couple of changes between the 05 and 06 but not any that would concern you. I think its just the design of the inlet manifold and BOV flange that I've noticed. There might be another change (which has left me for the moment) but basically they're the same. Actually now that I've said that the 2006 has MP3 capabilities and the 2005 does not. So what you have read is correct. My reference is Toddy22587 if you wish to direct 2005 MPS6 questions to him as we regularly catch up and compare our cars etc and those are the things we have noticed between the 05 and 06.

If you can, I suggest a 06 purely because I like my music and have MP3 CD's with a sub and all set up. I don't like the idea of changing CD's around etc. Hope that helps

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Mark I'm a newbie too. Been admiring 6 mps since they came out. Finally picked one up 2 days ago. I was same as you looking for stockie with low k's. Same budget.
    Had to go interstate to find my girl. Still cant wipe the grin off my face. Just want to be in it constantly.
    After years of driving 1.6 ltr nissan pulsars this thing has opened my eyes wide.
    I highly recommend you getting one. You wont be dissapointed.
    Hope to catch you in your new 6 at a vic meet sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    After years of driving 1.6 ltr nissan pulsars this thing has opened my eyes wide.
    I highly recommend you getting one. You wont be dissapointed.
    Ex Nissan pulsar owner here too! The MPS6 is great, however a tad limited stock. If you're into modifying, a few well placed mods really livens up the car making it more of a pleasure to drive

M P S