User Tag List

Thread: How NOT to add white highlights:

Blog Entries

Default How NOT to add white highlights:

Courtesy of local tradie who dumped a load of paint on the road just before I changed lanes into it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21122010204.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	6915
    Too much traffic to see it before it was too late:

Name:	20122010199.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	6916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20122010198.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	6918
    Went straight to local detailer where we spent an hour cleaning the already touch dry paint off with an appropriate solvent, a gurney, and elbow grease. No idea what sort of paint it was. White.

Name:	21122010201.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	6917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21122010202.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	6914
    It came off. BUT now have lots of fine scratches down one side of the vehicle. Not too bad but it looks like someone has ****ed the paint cleaning it - presumably tiny flecks of dry paint have come off and then scratched the surface.

So now I want to try to recover the paint condition, which although I'm not an obsessive cleaner, was quite good - I managed to put similar marks on my SP23 once learning to clean it properly, so until now I'd managed to avoid any glaring swirls etc.

It's clean, and waiting for a wash and surface prep, which I am going to do this evening, followed by a thorough application of meguiars tech wax...

Reccommendations on procedure to get best result appreciated. Steps above and beyond shampoo + "claybar" + speed detail + wax or specific products to mask the fine scratching...

I have on hand to work with :

small amount of bug and tar remover
    meguiars shampoo and conditioner
    turtle wax liquid claybar
    meguiars speed detailer
    meguiars tech wax
    meguiars gold wax
    Last edited by Nexus; 21-12-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Unlucky mate. I would be so angry if this happened to me. hopefully you can get it sorted out

Did you get details on the tradie's truck or had it long gone? There is a lot to be said for having a camera on in a car now. One guy here had a bad experience in a road rage incident but the cops got the perp pretty fast, as the complainant had 6 video cameras scanning full-time all around his car!
    I always keep a cheap camera in the car now. Mobile phone cameras are not always up to the task. Often merely pointing a camera will usually deter the road rage wan#@%s, idiots and vandals.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 21-12-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

You'll need to add a machine polisher to your arsenal mate.

I would be angry if that happened to me too, even though I have a white car! Pretty dangerous if things are falling of tradie's cars though. What if it was a motorcycle...?

DAME sorry bud! that sucks! man i would want blood if it happend to me. my cars black it would be a DOOM..

Lucky the paint was white, some **** knuckle did it near my house with blue and red paint :|

Sorry to here.

I thought this was Jons car by the pictures, oops.
    Last edited by 2XS; 21-12-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Damn, that seriously sucks.

well, at least the price was right...
    in all seriousness, bugger man... that's pretty shitty
    almost makes me want to keep a camera in the car...

that sux. at least if it was brown paint, you could pretend it is a rally car.

That sucks man

Megs Ultimate Compound should help, but as Joel says, you may to machine polish that bad boy to get the deeper scratches out

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just think, you could have joined our XR5 brothers with some rally stripe action!!

Seriously, I would have kicked the nearest cat in frustration. Good luck in restoring it.