User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPS6 drivers VS MPS3 drivers

Default MPS6 drivers VS MPS3 drivers

im going to say this is just a broad generalisation and I apologise to all the MPS3 drivers that aren’t like this…

But…EVERY mps3 driver I have encountered in perth…(which is at least ten and mostly consist red, blue and black gen 1s), so far has showed shit & immature driving characteristics (strickly speaking when they notice me in the MPS6)

Im not a grampa driver, nor am I a racer boy, but I do enjoy the occasional fast acceleration/speeding, however this is in consideration of trafficconditions.

When I encounter another MPS6, there has been no desire from either driver to race, however, with MPS3s, once they spot me (either from in front or behind), they HAVE to accelerate quickly/zig zag through traffic without any consideration of other cars, just to get ahead, no matter how close other cars are and always have to be in front...

Why is that?

Any other drivers care to chime in?

ive got the nickname "patientone" for a reason
    and i drive a 3MPS

EDIT:
    i'll sit there and give it a bit of gas when the conditions allow, but i'll happily sit behind a bus for a good 5 minutes to turn left (right leeHOON?)
    i live in sydney, near parramatta road, which anyone can tell you is a sh!t of a road... have learnt not to try and weave in and out, cause sometimes you dont get back into the lane you need to be in
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 21-12-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

IM one of those drivers who does enjoy a good squirt of the throttle. But in traffic i not one to zig zag in and out of traffic, well not tryn to provoke somene to race.

Everyone here is an

the zig zaging is due to the torque steer, we can't help it but to use up all the lanes since it's just does it on it's own.

dunno why they do that but when I have seen a 6MPS or 3MPS we just look and keep driving, no need for nonsense...

what you're describing sounds more like the commodore drivers in my area...

Well i dont zig zag too much in traffic, it only causes accidents as people dont expect you to be right next to them so quickly when they have only just seen you behind them when they checked their mirror before changing lanes...

And i never bother getting a MPS6 driver to try to race me, because generally they are wayyyyyy too mature to wanna have a little stab at the traffic lights with me

I encounter more 6's than 3's so i dont see how other people drive their 3's in normal circumstances...on cruises its a totally different story because everyone is out to have a good time, so they are more willing to have a stab here and there....

One thing ive been wondering though is....

Does having AWD make you see better????

i havent driven a mps3 before, but my wife has a sp23, which i find very zippy, i could only imagine what it would be like with the turbo engine FWD/torque steer.
    shes planning on getting one in the future, but yeah, my experiences with MPS3 drivers on the roads have just not been good.

I haven't noticed that competitive 3 vs 6 tendency much. But all the MPS6 drivers I have pulled up next to at lights or in car-parks have wound down a window to say Hi and chat.

BTW, Torque steer is a myth. Any deviation from straight-line acceleration is all to do with the earth precessing on its axis!

As Doug said, a few are friendly. I often get random people comment on my car and ask "oi mate....how do they go...?" Clearly not much is known of the MPS. However when I pass a fellow MPS my foot always slips on the accelerator, especially when it's Toddy in his white MPS6 lol. So I guess I'm somewhat guilty...

I think here there is a line between fun and stupied driving. when someone is driving to fast in heavy traffic, or exceeding the speed limit by a lot! this is stupied.. but a simply squirt off the line and a smile after i cant see anything wrong with that. Providing ur not speeding heavily!!

I have done some really stupied things ( i have also crashed, lucky i did these things by myself with no other cars around ) and thought why did i do that!!

I recon the answer here is there is a 'time and a place' ( i sound like my dad ) and its not when there are others that can get hurt!!!!
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 21-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

As an MPS 3 owner i have to say that i totally agree.
    I think its more to do with the market for each car.
    the 3 is a "hot hatch" and generally hot hatch owners are younger and more likely to drive more agressively.
    The 6 is more of a "grand tourer" and more attracted to the "mature" driver.

I know there are obvious exceptions, but its a fairly accurate generalisation....... unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    The 6 is more of a "grand tourer" and more attracted to the "mature" driver.
    Oh dear...I'm in the wrong car...you could have told me sooner buddy!!

The weird thing is, I've seen people who own clubsports yet, do 50kmph everywhere.....why did you get such a powerful vehicle? I kind of have an expectation people in quick cars might be more inclined to put their foot down. Otherwise they would have bought the Impreza rather then the WRX etc. I agree with Luke's comments above though, is true

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

All MPS owners I've encountered have completely ignored me lol. A couple of times I've waved only to be snobbed or get bewildered looks lol. I like accelerating off at the lights then easing off once I approach the speed limit. I'm only 23 so I go against the grain for the 'mature' MPS6 driver lol, but after owning a heavily modified cop bait POS for 6 years I kind of grew out of 'hooning' (regardless of your definition) pretty fast.

On the flip side my mate from work had a pretty crazy experience with an MPS6. He was cruising to work and noticed it tail gating him and flashing high beams. He thought it was me but then saw it was red, so he tapped his breaks. It just went up the side, tried to encourage him to give them a run but he didnt as he had his kids in the car (which is weird for an ss commodore driver!)

I can drive like a complete nut at times, insanity will do that to you though.

But no speeding in heavy traffic, and Im not a off the lights dragger either.

I save my crazy for the twisties

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    BTW, Torque steer is a myth. Any deviation from straight-line acceleration is all to do with the earth precessing on its axis!
    Erm, to my knowledge, the difference in length of the driveshaft also helps.. which is why a FWD Subaru Impreza wont torque-steer due to have equal length driveshafts.

(Am I even correct in calling it a driveshaft? CV's... whatever )

i always acknowledge a 6mps or another 3mps owner as i drive past or as they drive past me but I sincerely apologise if i have been spotted doing anything illegal or unsafe

i'm very sorry you have that opinion about us little 3mps drivers

The MPS6 is more of a high performance GT rather than a street light dragster. I have too much respect for my transmission and tyres to seriously get on boost in 1st gear. I'll roll in 1st & 2nd usually and let 3rd reel in the opposition!

It's the open road passing legs (80-120 km/h: 5.3 seconds - Mazda figures) that I like, and a super tall economical 6th gear. I like the four-door cruising style (GT means high speed, four door touring anyway), and most of my cars have fitted into this category (Vauxhall VX4/90 & other variants, Javelin, Maserati Quattroporte, Jaguar 2.4 & 3.4 & Sovereign V12, Renault 25GTX, Citroen Deese 25 Injected, Alfa 1750, etc)
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I cant read the original post from JohnnyC.... it's completely blank to me.

Is it JUST me?

Leon

Quote Originally Posted by BradstaMS View Post
    Erm, to my knowledge, the difference in length of the driveshaft also helps.. which is why a FWD Subaru Impreza wont torque-steer due to have equal length driveshafts.

(Am I even correct in calling it a driveshaft? CV's... whatever )
    I think dougs rather amusing comment went over your head sorry.

And the Subaru doesn't torque steer because you need torque to torque steer.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Red View Post
    I cant read the original post from JohnnyC.... it's completely blank to me.

Is it JUST me?

Leon
    Yeah, It's just you ;-)

Are you reading the forum as black text on white background?
    If so , reverse the colour scheme using the option at the bottom left of this page (change to "OzMPSclub Black".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast