User Tag List

Thread: 3MPS won't go into 3rd gear/grinding

Default 3MPS won't go into 3rd gear/grinding

My 1st gen 3MPS recently developed a problem where it makes this horrid metal on metal grinding noise when I try to put it into 3rd gear, and the shifter does not want to go in.

Occasionally, it does go into 3rd gear but I have to apply a bit of force and hold the shifter in 3rd for the gears to engage, and if I take a sharp corner or a bump while in 3rd, the shifter pops out of 3rd and into neutral.

A Google search revealed that the problem might be either worn shifter bushings, or a damaged syncro mesh. Has anyone else experienced this or have any insight on this? I fear a transmission rebuild might be necessary, which from what I hear is not cheap.

rebuild?.....ha, upgrade more like.
    By shifter bushings, do you mean the 4 little ones holding the shift cage in place? If so, they are easy to rip out and inspect. I just replaced mine with JBR solid ones anyway for about $30 or something like it

Sounds like your 3rd gear Synchros could be shagged If it were happening in every gear then I would point to the clutch, but since it's only 3rd....

Have to agree with Jeev, the mps has a reputation for shagging out the 3rd gear synchro's.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Have to agree with Jeev, the mps has a reputation for shagging out the 3rd gear synchro's.
    What? Son of a.... Looks like I'll have to start flogging all the gears equally

the fact that its only happening on 3rd sounds like its gearbox related and like everyone is suspecting, most likely the syncro

you drive the car hard? If it needs a rebuild, chuck a lsd in there while your at it. Least that way you get something out of it instead of the same ol box

If the shifter bushings fixed it, I would be laughing! I got a set from mpsgarage, I'll fit them in soonish but I doubt that's going to fix it, the problem is more likely to be the syncro

It does only happen in 3rd, and I do drive it hard occasionally. I tend to downshift to 3rd quite commonly so it does cop a fair bit of abuse.

To fix the syncro, does it require a transmission rebuild? Does anyone have any ballpark figures on cost? I am also considering getting a used transmission from the wreckers to replace mine with, that might end up being cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    If it needs a rebuild, chuck a lsd in there while your at it. Least that way you get something out of it instead of the same ol box
    Can you tell me what an lsd is, what it's for and where I might get one? I presume you are not talking about a drug?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    If it needs a rebuild, chuck a lsd in there while your at it. Least that way you get something out of it instead of the same ol box
    It's got an LSD. Chuck a quaife in, I say!
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by sanx View Post
    To fix the syncro, does it require a transmission rebuild? Does anyone have any ballpark figures on cost? I am also considering getting a used transmission from the wreckers to replace mine with, that might end up being cheaper

Can you tell me what an lsd is, what it's for and where I might get one? I presume you are not talking about a drug?
    Replacing synchro requires a rebuild. No Idea on the cost of that though.

An LSD is a limited slip differential. The MPS has an LSD but the Quaife LSD is much better, if also quite expensive lol.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    It's got an LSD. Chuck a quaife in, I say!
    yea a proper LSD i mean :P and the quiafe is the one i was referring to

a LSD basically links the two driving wheels together so that all the power doesn't go through 1 wheel, causing only 1 wheel to spin. that's it in a nutshell

Dunno if this may be of some help, but I had the same problem in my old Integra also front wheel drive and I had to either rebuild or replace.

I went with the replace option as it was much cheaper and easier than having to find someone to do the work of rebuilding, it will surely be the 3rd gear syncro...

with regards to the upgraded LSD it really depends how you drive your car and what type of driving you plant on doing, if it's street/daily driven only I don't see much of a point in spending $98769879 for one...
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

if third gear syncro is going would that be a warranty job anyways ??

do you reckon a short shift plate would affect a claim on this if it is potentially a warranty job?

I was told that it would have been a warranty job, except I'm well out of warranty

I suppose they would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the short shift plate directly caused the synchro to fail... but you could switch the short shift plate to stock before taking it in for warranty, no?

Just a follow up for others that may face a similar problem in the future, I got my gearbox rebuilt as the 3rd gear synchro was the problem, as well as a broken 3/4th gear selector fork. 1st, 2nd and reverse gears were also replaced as they were damaged :S

Blog Entries

Just a follow up for others that may face a similar problem in the future, I got my gearbox rebuilt as the 3rd gear synchro was the problem, as well as a broken 3/4th gear selector fork. 1st, 2nd and reverse gears were also replaced as they were damaged :S
    Approximate damage in $ for the rebuild?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

$1500 for the parts, $450 labour for the rebuild, $300 labour to get the gearbox out and in. No aftermarket options for the parts. Had to wait 4 weeks for the fork to ship in from Japan because they didn't have any in Aus

I Should note that I did call up all the Mazda wreckers I could find nationwide for a 2nd hand gearbox. 3MPS gearboxes are fairly scarce, prices ranged from $1100-$2300, best I could find was $1600 that had done 17000km, sold before I could make a decision

Blog Entries

$1500 for the parts, $450 labour for the rebuild, $300 labour to get the gearbox out and in. No aftermarket options for the parts. Had to wait 4 weeks for the fork to ship in from Japan because they didn't have any in Aus

I Should note that I did call up all the Mazda wreckers I could find nationwide for a 2nd hand gearbox. 3MPS gearboxes are fairly scarce, prices ranged from $1100-$2300, best I could find was $1600 that had done 17000km, sold before I could make a decision
    Ochies. Still, not as high as I had suspected it might be. My guess was going to be $3K
    I really am keen on the idea of saving bikkies towards a quaife sometime down the track (I imagine internals + clutch at that time too.)
    Wondering how many K's your original box took before packing it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Ochies. Still, not as high as I had suspected it might be. My guess was going to be $3K
    I really am keen on the idea of saving bikkies towards a quaife sometime down the track (I imagine internals + clutch at that time too.)
    Wondering how many K's your original box took before packing it in?
    80,000km - not much hey? The clutch outlived the gearbox, but I did replace the clutch and the flywheel cos I thought it would die soon anyway so that was another $800... so I did spend around $3k after all