User Tag List

Thread: 18inch (Legal) mazda 3

1. Default 18inch (Legal) mazda 3

I know not MPS related, please excuse.

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 with 15 inch wheels.
    What I am wondering is it legal (with VICROADS) to fit 18 inch wheels to this car?

RACV will cover what ever Vicroads will.
    Thanks Tim

Non MPS discussion is still welcomed here mate.

Not sure on the rules and reg over in VIC but I think in WA the conditions are, no larger than 2inches over standard size. Don't quote me on it though. A local tyre place will know the design spec of the rim and profile of the tyre which is legal, they may be able to help you out, if not a reply on here with more info. You may to get some work done on your car to fit 18's though

What wheels are you after? If you buy some OEM sets then they will be the correct offset and stud pattern. There is Member here with a SP20 hatch with GENII 18's. AWESOME!

Good luck mate.

I sold my gen 1 shadowchrome mps rims to a guy in Vic who also had a mazda 3 fitted ok & legal apparently

The Colster

Marcs_sp20

The way i read it( if i find the PDF file i will post it RTA rules for tyre size) it say that u cant go larger than 2' taller 1'wider ( without a engineers cert), for that model since the model is mazda 3 i think you can go off the tyre size of the mps?

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    The way i read it( if i find the PDF file i will post it RTA rules for tyre size) it say that u cant go larger than 2' taller 1'wider ( without a engineers cert), for that model since the model is mazda 3 i think you can go off the tyre size of the mps?
    Very correct

i had a barina with 14" steelies...but due to SRi coming std with 16s...i was legally allowed to put 18's on it..

18s on a barina was rather fun

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Bling Bling Barina

It was actually a Opel Corsa C

As there was no barina in my car....fully Opelized ...including steering wheel ...and was Made in Spain with build plate saying Corsa C

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    Very correct

i had a barina with 14" steelies...but due to SRi coming std with 16s...i was legally allowed to put 18's on it..

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    OMG, this thing is going viral...It's already in 2 threads!!!

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Marcs_sp20

That's the one...Thanks Big A!

It should be fine legal wise aslong as its close to the original rolling diameter

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    Very correct

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Woot wooo thats one sexy car duggy

We could be opel brothers

in vic it will come down to the largest size that is on the tyre placard of the car...

you can go no more than 2 inches bigger...

Quote Originally Posted by IBOMPS View Post
    in vic it will come down to the largest size that is on the tyre placard of the car...

that is incorrect. in VIC, you are allowed to go:-

15mm bigger (tyre rolling diameter) of any wheel/tyre option available for the chassis
    -and-
    25mm wider than the widest rim available for the chassis

Quote Originally Posted by IBOMPS View Post

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    that is incorrect. in VIC, you are allowed to go:-

15mm bigger (tyre rolling diameter) of any wheel/tyre option available for the chassis
    -and-
    25mm wider than the widest rim available for the chassis
    Police officer vs projectracing.. who's right?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I've done some searching on the Vicroads website, and here is the following excerpt from The Vicroads Vehicle Standards Information - Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles (May 2003)

Link to PDF: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf

Page 3, Section 8:

Replacement wheels and tyres may be fitted provided that they comply with the following requirements:

1) The width of any replacement rim must not be:

- more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or
    - less than the width of the narrowest rim specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series

2) Rims, which have been widened, must have no more than one peripheral weld. All welding must be carried out in accordance with recognised engineering standards, and the rims must comply in all respects with the specifications contained in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia

3) The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:

- more than 15mm greater than the largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series
    - more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series
    So, unless I've missed something (like a more recent doc update hidden somewhere on the Vicroads website) it looks like this round goes to projectrracing (sorry Ian).

If you read the definition of "vehicle series" in this case to be the entire Mazda 3 range (including the Mazda 3 MPS), then 18" wheels are legal on a Mazda 3 by Vicroads Standards, as the 2008 Mazda 3 MPS came standard with 18" wheels.

I can't however, find Vicroads' specific definition of the term "vehicle series", however the above assumption seems logical to me.

Dan
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 20-12-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Police officer vs projectracing.. who's right?
    Well according to The Vicroads Vehicle Standards Information - Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles (May 2003), I am right.
    Last edited by projectrracing; 20-12-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Which I just posted above mate..... no need to re-iterate it.