User Tag List

Thread: New Mazda3 MPS to appear at Melbourne International Motor Show - Wed 4th March

Blog Entries

Talking New Mazda3 MPS to appear at Melbourne International Motor Show - Wed 4th March

Australian Coup for Mazda3 MPS

Melbourne, Australia – Australian hot hatch enthusiasts will see the new-generation Mazda3 MPS just hours after the turbocharged performance hatchback makes its international debut on the other side of the world.

Mazda is fast-tracking a high-performance Mazda3 MPS version of the new-generation Mazda3 range to the Melbourne International Motor Show less than a day after its official world debut at the Geneva Auto Salon.

The new-generation Mazda3 MPS will be revealed on the Mazda Melbourne Motor Show stand on Wednesday, March 4.

This is a huge coup for Australia and for hot hatch fans, but it's not the first time Mazda has rushed a new car Downunder for a near-simultaneous reveal. The Mazda MX-5 roadster starred at the Melbourne motor show in 2005, again just hours after making its international debut in Geneva the night before.

The Mazda3 MPS is the performance king of the new-generation Mazda3 range, and has the potential to rewrite affordable hot-hatch benchmarks, primarily with its feisty 2.3-litre turbo engine, but also through its finely-tuned chassis and sports suspension.

The previous model's pedigree is proven in the toughest automotive environment – motorsport. The first-generation Mazda3 MPS has competed twice in Targa Tasmania – a five-day road race across Australia's smallest state – and finished in the top 10, amongst a field of Porsches, Lamborghinis, Evos and other exotica.

Alongside the Mazda3 MPS on the stand will be the updated Mazda MX-5 roadster and two new-generation Mazda3s, in sleek sedan and sporty SP25 hatchback form. The new-generation Mazda3 will be offered with a range of economical petrol and diesel engines. Mazda is confident it will make significant advances in style, safety, value for money and driving spirit.

The new-generation Mazda3 will be the most significant new car at the Melbourne International Motor Show. Australians buy more Mazda3s than any other new car on the market, according to official January sales figures.

The new-generation Mazda3 range goes on sale in April 2009. The Mazda3 MPS is slated for launch in Australia in the third quarter of 2009.
    Source: Mazda Australia

Any Victorian members going to the Motor show?
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

2. Default

The front of the MPS reminds me of the Neko bus in a Japanese Anime movie called "My Neighbour Totoro"

It seems the MAZ Japanese design team have been watching too much manga, and think the MPS is a cat bus...

Blog Entries

There is nothing wrong with being that obsessed with Hayao Miyazaki that you design a car after his creations haha

4. Default

I think it looks horn and it gives me wood

Blog Entries

Got a mate getting photos when he goes so expect it the day after

Ill be doing my best to get there and go nuts with the photos.

I'd go but I'll be in Hawaii :P
    Last edited by zackd; 16-02-2009 at 04:30 PM.

It must be in melbourne by now... might go past mazda hq and see if it's visible..

Blog Entries

Make sure you get a pic if it is there!

10. Default

I'll be there one some day.

I don't like it as much as the previous model. It's that lower grill look... the "grin" of the car...

Makes the front of the car look more agressive, and becuase of that, the intake on the hood.... makes it look more like the WRX Hatch... also... ROUND FOGLAMPS!!! Give me a break. Rims look like the SP Snowflakes. Where's the standout portion of the car that the current MPS range has?

Last of all, 2.3 L Turbo engine.... what about a tweaked 2.5 L Turbo? Surely they could've upped the ante with that one too!

My rant is over..

Don't know if I like the postage slot on the bonnet (remember, we are in Australia and are not the US, however unfortunately we are turning into little America) :wink:. That is one of the things I like about the current version, it doesn't shout about it's performance. I wonder what they have done to the interior as I haven't seen a picture of it inside yet, the MPS that is!!
    Last edited by mafian; 22-02-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Ill have a bunch of photos up on the night of the 7th, unless something goes horribly wrong.

Blog Entries

Photos and official press release is up.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/mazda...s-release.html