User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mufflers from MPS6 [NSW]

Default Mufflers from MPS6 [NSW]

Hi All

I am looking to purchase a pair of mufflers to suit MPS6. Ideally I would like to try and de-res the standard mufflers or if you have sports mufflers to suit the standard flange I may also be interested.

I don't want to go the whole hog yet and I want to make sure I want a louder exhaust first before I spend big bucks on a full system (will obviously sound much different, but sound quality aside).

If you're in the Hunter/Central Coast area, or even Sydney (maybe), and want to get rid of your old mufflers, let me know.

Cheers

Andrew

Andy, I have a Best Mufflers dump pipe with std system from there back. I personally wouldnt think of replacing my mufflers; I'm sure I read on here somewhere that the MPS6 mufflers are "a marvel of engineering excellence" (or words to that effect) being very efficient and causing minimal power loss while avoiding the dreaded drone.

Not exactly sure if you are looking to go back to standard MPS6 mufflers of if you are looking to replace the standard ones. If you are looking to have your car produce a "bit" of a note but not make excessive noise then I can highly recommend the dump pipe. (The performance gain is not to be sneezed at either.)

I live in Newcastle. PM me and we can arrange for you to listen to how your 6 would sound with a dump pipe before you go to the expense of exchanging your mufflers.

Leon
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left

I didn't know Best Mufflers did a DP for MPS6! I might be interested...depends on cost. Also, I was worried going to single Cat from dual and possible smoking. But I have heard other people doing the same and apparently it does make a better note, maybe this is the way I should go.

I have standard mufflers on the car, I wanted to buy either sports mufflers with flange to match standard exhaust, or buy another set of standard ones so I can cut the insides out and see how that sounds.

If I recall Mal (kmh001) replaced his t-piece with a Y piece to remove that 90º flow restriction and left the rest of the mufflers as they were, this gave him some pretty good gains, while retaining good sound qualities.

Dump and STD cat back makes a nice sound.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    If I recall Mal (kmh001) replaced his t-piece with a Y piece to remove that 90º flow restriction and left the rest of the mufflers as they were, this gave him some pretty good gains, while retaining good sound qualities.
    I stole the design specs from a US race engineer who I have a lot of respect for. He did one for a Mazdaspeed6 over there and found that you have to get it just right to maximise the gains and get the best from the DP and stock mufflers.

I haven't done this mod yet. Earlier in the year MPS garage posted here somewhere that they were developing a mid-pipe that would be available for sale later in the year. I was waiting to see what they come up with before going to a custom fabricator.

Gone to Volvo

I have a whole stock catback exhaust i want to get rid of.
    I am in melbourne though. I want to get rid of the whole stock cat back and not just the mufflers.
    Pm me and let me know.

Yeah I would take the whole system if required, however I am in NSW so I'd say shipping would kill. And unfortunately I won't be able to travel

If you really are keen on shipping let me know. Otherwise, good luck. I hope you eventually find the mufflers you're looking for

10. Default

borla expensive buts sounds sweet. 700 dollars a muffler. youtube mazdaspeed6 borla exhuast

11. Default

Hi andy b
    We have a complete OEM CBE at the shop & we also will have the new TZR Axle Back Exhaust which replaces the Tee & runs to mufflers in the standard location & a split Y.
    The gains where good on the proto type system, but we will test the finished product before we talk Kw's .
    Product team starts up again in two weeks I found out today. Not happy as we have order a large number of these & meant to have them now. But lets see the finished product & as normal TZR will be worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by philbie13 View Post
    borla expensive buts sounds sweet. 700 dollars a muffler. youtube mazdaspeed6 borla exhuast
    I see Remus are very expensive too, and are only the mufflers..I would buy a CP-e system if I wanted to spend that much!

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    Hi andy b
    We have a complete OEM CBE at the shop & we also will have the new TZR Axle Back Exhaust which replaces the Tee & runs to mufflers in the standard location & a split Y.
    The gains where good on the proto type system, but we will test the finished product before we talk Kw's .
    Product team starts up again in two weeks I found out today. Not happy as we have order a large number of these & meant to have them now. But lets see the finished product & as normal TZR will be worth the wait.
    I would be interested in hearing more about the TZR system, sounds pretty ideal. Someone had mentioned you were looking at a system to replace the T pipe with a Y. The standard setup is hardly a smooth transition

For mufflers I'd be looking at magnaflow

Magnaflow & Best Mufflers FTW....having said that, I still have no idea what my car sounds like to everyone else.

Hey Andy, the offer still stands to see what a MPS6 sounds (and feels) like with a Best Mufflers dump pipe and standard catback and mufflers.

Leon

Should I interpret this to mean that MPS Garage are not going to produce a replacement mid-pipe with a smooth transition in pipe diameter to match the stock muffler flanges? If that's the case I'll have to go custom because I only want the restrictive T piece replaced and I don't want inferior aftermarket mufflers.

PM Sent!

Thanks for the offers those with standard exhausts. My original idea was to de-resonate the standard mufflers for extra sound, however after watching a YouTube video on the weekend (stumbled upon it accidentally), I have decided against. Not into the sound at all...

Leon, sorry I completely forgot over holidays, we had so much on but I am still keen to hear the DP with standard exhaust as quite a few people have said how the standard mufflers are fairly free flowing, but the DP is restrictive. The other thing I will wait to suss out is the setup mentioned above by MPS Garage.

19. Default

Hi Kmh001,
    this system will use the standard mid pipe. But it needs to be cut before the T & the after market System slides on from there.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    Hi Kmh001,
    this system will use the standard mid pipe. But it needs to be cut before the T & the after market System slides on from there.
    Thanks for the reply. Not sure if you're saying your new item mates to the stock mufflers. But if you're not saying that and you're after idea's for new products, I'd really like to see a replacemernt mid-pipe (with a less restrictive T) that is a direct bolt-on replacement and retains the stock mufflers.

When done properly, this has been proven to give good power gains without any of the noise issues. And it enhances the effectiveness of a DP for those that have them.

Gone to Volvo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast