User Tag List

Thread: Idling to low

Default Idling to low

Hi Everyone,
    Got my MPS3 back after 80,000km service and my car is idling around 700-750 rpm's
    I'm sure it was higher before the service.
    What should it idle at and can you adjust the idling on these cars ?
    Cheers

Blog Entries

I would have thought between 700 and 800 rpm was normal.

when i start car it sits ~1800, but once it's warm it will sit ~700-800 rpm...
    seems fine by me
    think you had a problem before you went to mazda

On fire up I think mine is around 2,000RPM when it settles about 700RPM which is normal for a car.
    Yeah as Sam mentioned above, perhaps a problem with the throttle body/ignition or something prior to the service.
    Not sure if you can adjust the idle in modern cars, it may be computer controlled. Older cars, yes, newer cars...maybe...?

700-750 is normal. Can't change the idle unless you get an aftermarket tune done. Dealerships can't even change the base idle rpm...

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    Can't change the idle unless you get an aftermarket tune done.
    Thought so, ECU controlled. Older carbie motors you can change idle speed on. As well as a fair few bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Thought so, ECU controlled. Older carbie motors you can change idle speed on. As well as a fair few bikes.
    You can still change it on most cars today, it's just harder when you have a fly-by-wire throttle. Generally throttles have an idle adjust screw on them...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    You can still change it on most cars today, it's just harder when you have a fly-by-wire throttle. Generally throttles have an idle adjust screw on them...
    Not new cars. Since about 2003, cars manufacturers have deleted the throttle screw so backyarder people can't adjust their idle. It's solely an emissions thing. Dealerships can't even change it. It's preset from factory.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Interesting, I hadn't really noticed. I know bikes are still coming with idle adjust screws though.

I know my 97 Kwaka ZZR250 and 99 Super Sperpa 250 have adjustable idle control, not sure about my ex 07 Honda CBR600RR. Bikes may be easier to tune and might still be manual control. Although the CBR was EFI and the other bikes are carbie. I'd be inclined to think the newer bikes on the market are completely computer controlled?

The CBR has Honda programmable fuel injection, it changes the maps and trims on the run for efficiency and emissions.... And still has an idle adjust screw. I think that's more of a hertage/race thing though. I always used to customise the idles on my bikes, it helps with on-off throttle characteristics and low speed manoeuvring. Modern bike engines have a reasonable level of technology and sophistication to them; even my '05 CBR had the programmable FI, ram intakes and a second stage injector (5th injector in the intake that kicked in at 8,000rpm).

Quote Originally Posted by ribaree View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Got my MPS3 back after 80,000km service and my car is idling around 700-750 rpm's
    I'm sure it was higher before the service.
    What should it idle at and can you adjust the idling on these cars ?
    Cheers
    What did you pay for your 80k service?

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYMPS View Post
    What did you pay for your 80k service?
    $560 including machining front and back discs and a wheel alignment

Thanks everyone for your responses. Looks like everything is normal as fara as idling goes

Cheers
    2007 3MPS - Aurora Blue