User Tag List

Thread: 17.4L/100km!!

Default 17.4L/100km!!

Ive only had my MS6 for a few months now, and normally my avg km's show 13-14's, but recently my avg read 17.4l/100km

Its getting worse, ive just had an 80km service and it seems to be growing every tank. During the service, I changed the filters, oil and cleaned the AFM. However the sparks were kept...

What would, apart from the sparks on a stock standard MPS, cause higher fuel consumption if all variables like fuel and oils were standard. I use my car daily and this is becomming a burden.

Also, when I fill my car now, the "Km's remaining" reads 399!!! What the hell!?

Have you actually checked how many litres it is taking to fill from empty? Maybe the gauge is inaccurate?

Interesting, as boost said, do the fill up check and measure your distance travelled then fill again and divide your litres into kms travelled x 100 = L/100km, also try resetting your avg l/100km by holding the info button (I think from memory) down for a few seconds then measure again! 17.4 sounds excessively high unless of course you are giving it heaps! btw what mods do you have?

Yeah, that is heaps mate, definately something going on there. Depending on your sort of driving it should really be around 11.0L maybe 12.0L on the heavy side. As Chris mentioned above, you can reset your averages by holding down the information button down a few seconds. What octane are you running btw? Also what psi are you running in your tyres? FYI my trip reads around 570km remaining on fill up, sometimes around 530 (depending on time of day of the fill and what my averages are set at) never in the 3/400 mark.

HMMMM.... interesting.....

My MPS6 has just had it's 80K service too. It was showing mid 11's round town and mid 9's on the highway. Since the 80K service it is now showing 15.4L/100K on the car's trip computer. (In all fairness I should mention there was a slight "kerfuffle" with my trip computer from a blown fuse before it went in for that service, but I wont go into that right now, will I Mitch ).

I have just started using the mileage readout on my Dashhwak and IT shows consumption as 9.4L/100K as "around town". This has me wondering if my car's trip computer has a problem. Funnily enough I am sure the "K's remaining" figure was also 399K at my last fill. I intend to monitor it using the fill and calculate method suggested by shakespeare. (Thanks shakes for the reset tip. I just tried it and it works).

I will post my results after "fill and check".

Leon
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left

I always "0-off" my trip on the instrument cluster just on the "Trip A" just to get an idea on how many kms I'm actually doing, not just what the computer suggests. It's a good habit to get into, I usually fill around 430-460ish to have enough in case of emergency. I never like to go too low on my car just in case I need to get somewhere in a hurry, just a personal safe guard really. Same with my motorcycles, never run them too low. My GF on the other hand frequently (always) runs her car until the fuel light comes on!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Trip computer could be faulty, they aren't that accurate anyway.

But forget what it says, do you notice that it is it actually using more fuel?

I've never found much of an economy difference with different octanes, nor has dad in his mps. A little difference, but not that much.

However, it could be as simple as bad fuel.
    Try another servo.

I once got 13L/100km on a non stop 500km drive. Normally it's about 8.
    That was bad fuel. Both dad in his mps and my brothers VRX lancer filled at the same place and got similar results

Well when im getting 340-400km's per tank, at 60L that equates to around just over 17

Im currently sitting on 14.5, and that is absolutely GRAN SPEC driving and keeping it under 3000. In the lower gears, the fuel reading jumps to 100+L/100km! So for every km at this rate id be burning 1L, that is just friggin off the chain.

Id also like to add car is BONE STOCK, it has only had the resonater removed, car hasn't even been lowered...

9. Default

its really high and would bother me too, i dont know what could be causing it, have you had someone check it over ?

I push my car reasonably hard alot of the time and my avg always sits between say 10.5 and 11.5 L/100

Lead in the soles of your shoes perhaps???

some sensor may be out or on its way out, could be Air Flow sensor, O2 sensor or perhaps just needs a good service and tune.

I usually get just under the 500km mark on a full tank and I drive my 3 every day, plus I give it some too!!!

Have those checked out and also give it a good service, do the plugs while you're at it and also depending on kms do the fuel filters.

You'd have to be caning it on a track to get those sorts of numbers. I suspect your trip computer. As suggested, recalculate independently of your fuel computer, using your odometer and recording fill-ups for a few fills. My total fuel consumption, mostly in crappy Perth traffic, is 12.2 l/100 km, over the past year. I'll easily do 9.2 l/100km on open road trip at speeds up to anything that local roads can sensibly stand in short passing bursts, and have seen it down to 8.5. 6th is a wonderful gear for economy!!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Well my average reading is definetly working... my current tank has been babied and i have never gone over 3500 in revs for the last week. And my reading is 13.7L/100km - km reading on this tank is 410km

No im not a leadfoot, and im not caning it anywhere. Most of my driving is to and from work in mornings which is not a long trips (5km each way) - and there is quite a bit of stopping/starting

What I did notice is that on heavy acceleration (last tank) that the average would actually jump up a point in one burst.

Ahhhh. 5km trips.
    There I think is your problem.
    It's still probably in warm up mode. Very rich. Like driving around with the choke on.

Have you taken the car for a good long cruise and is it better?

Yeah I agree, maybe go for a bit of a cruise at least 20-30kms (and back). Reset your trip computer before you go and see what it averages out at...

Bah, 17L/100?! Thats nothing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel econ.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	6881  

Lead foot! I think my average speed is around 35kmph

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Bah, 17L/100?! Thats nothing!
    Wakefield I'm guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    Lead in the soles of your shoes perhaps???

some sensor may be out or on its way out, could be Air Flow sensor, O2 sensor or perhaps just needs a good service and tune.

I usually get just under the 500km mark on a full tank and I drive my 3 every day, plus I give it some too!!!

Have those checked out and also give it a good service, do the plugs while you're at it and also depending on kms do the fuel filters.

Same here brother , always average 10.5 +/- .5 litres (but thats 85% urban and 15% hwy)
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk