User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive gearbox oil thread

Default The definitive gearbox oil thread

As Im sure many of you have seen, we have for too many gearbox oil threads, lets pool our collective knowledge and post our experiences with the various brands and viscosities of oil available.
    Please use the template below (in a convenient copy and paste format) and share your experiences with the community.

If there are any areas you think I should add, or expand on please feel free to PM me.

Car:

Oil Brand:

Type / Viscosity:

K’s on vehicle at time of change:

Oil change number:

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10:

Comments:

I have included the diff woong noise factor, as it is one of the biggest areas that raises concern amongst people when this type of oil change is made, it is on a sliding scale

0 - more woongs than a Chinese phone book
    10- "I cant believe its not butter" no noises and my gearbox feels smooth

I have also attached a very good read on many of the leading brands, oils were thoroughly tested to the point of failure in a variety of scenarios.

Please keep this thread to the topic at hand.

Matt.

Gear Lube White Paper.pdf
    Last edited by MattMPS3; 03-12-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

OK I better go first,

Brand: Royal Purple

Type / Viscosity: Max Gear 75w90 - GL5

K’s on vehicle at time of change: ~25000

Oil change number: 1

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 2

Comments: Very noisy diff and gearbox, had difficulty engaging gears on cold mornings until fluid had warmed up a bit.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Brand: Redline

Type / Viscosity: MT90 75w90 - GL4

K’s on vehicle at time of change: ~45000

Oil change number: 2

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 7

Comments: Much quieter than I was experiencing with the Royal Purple , shift is noticeably smoother and feels more precise.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

think you also need to put in the template which car 3, 6 and which gen.

Sorry off topic, but anyone care to give me a ride in their car who does have the wong noise? I think I may have it, but not too sure if it is really. Im in brisbane

hopefully will turn into a resourceful thread

edit: had a quick squiz of that white paper, where can we get the amsoil oil lol
    Last edited by lup15; 03-12-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Brand: Penrite
    Type / Viscosity: SYN 75w90 - GL5/GL6
    Vehicle : 2007 Mazda 3 MPS
    K’s on vehicle at time of change: ?
    Oil change number: ?
    “Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 10
    Comments: Just right, IMO

Mazda changed oil as warranty. TOTALLY resolved cold start "wong" noise, improved gearbox feel.

Good idea about including the make, have added it to the first post.
    Its easy to replicate the noise, find somewhere quiet and do a slow full lock turn from a standstill, as the clutch packs in the diff slip they make the noise "woong woong" its not very loud, and totally harmless, but freaks people out none the less.

Ah ok, yea I do have that. Dont mind the noise if its harmless. I was reading the other sticky about the wong noise and it seems GL4 is better than GL5 for our boxes.

Just another suggestion to add to the template is gear shifting performance. I rather smooth gear shifts than worry about the wong noise

I'm running stock fluid, so wanting to change it out for something that performs better

Im with you there. My gearbox feels like its working on 50/50 oil & sand, so looking out for the best GL4 for tranny, but don't trust Mazda to do the right thing if I talk to them about it.

Brand: Penrite
    Type / Viscosity: SYN 75w90
    Vehicle : 2007 Mazda 3 MPS
    K’s on vehicle at time of change: 60k service
    “Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: Quiet. Zero wong wong.
    Comments: I originally asked Mazda to change the oil due to poor shifts. It is much better than the factory oil. You still have to change a little slower when the car is cold, but shifting has improved alot!

Seems to have gotten even better since I have done a few k's with it.
    Last edited by boost; 05-12-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Im with you there. My gearbox feels like its working on 50/50 oil & sand, so looking out for the best GL4 for tranny, but don't trust Mazda to do the right thing if I talk to them about it.
    Use castrol VMX 80. It's the proper spec for the gen 2.
    Tunehouse did mine after Mazda had done it because it sucked when I got it back from Mazda.
    It's perfect now!

anyone care to share their gearbox oil and diff oil choices for the MPS6?

my 2006 cruches gears when cold if im not careful and gentle, and is a general pain to shift smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Tunehouse did mine after Mazda had done it because it sucked when I got it back from Mazda.
    It's perfect now!
    Cool. Ill have a look at that. Mine started going down hill after Mazda 10000k service too...plus the turbo blew up the next day. lol
    Thanks
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Hi just on the Penrite oil, the closest I have been able to find is a Penrite Sin 75W-85 which is fully synthetic and is a GL-4 oil, would this do the job???

I have seen them for $30 for a 2.5L bottle where as the Sin 75W-90 is a special order and will cost $60 for the one bottle!

suggestions???

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    It's perfect now!
    How much did that cost you? My gear changes feel a bit notchy at times, was wondering if changing to this gearbox oil would make a difference.

I have the JBarone SSP and the CPe CAI + TIP.

Any recommendations guys?

Cheers,
    Adam

im going to take some SIN GEAR OIL 75 - Penrite Oil in with me on my 50k service how much will I need to take in?

Well I finally got around to replacing the oil in my gearbox yesterday, I used the SIN gear oil 75w85 which is a GL4 oil, not the SIN 75 mentioned on here and, so far so good!

Wong Wong sound has vertually disappeared, second gear crunch is almost non existent though I think it will get better as it does more and more kms. The torque steer has also toned down a fair bit more, I guess it has got to do with the fact the LSD is working like it should. I've so far taken it on a long drive down to the beach and back and no dramas what so ever and it feels real good.

I also installed my JBR SSP and gear knob which have also helped with the gear changes, only problem atm is the air box rubbing which makes 5th a little bit hard to get through the gate.

All in all I'm very happy and all for a mere $30 plus the oil comes in a 2.5L bottle which is spot on what the MPS gearbox takes.

I'm yet to drive it on a real cold mosrning to see how the gear changes are when super cold, but wouldn't be surprised it they're not far from great.

Will get back to ya'll with more as I do some more kms...

Cheers!

Alex
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

16. Default

Car: 3mps gen 1
    Oil Brand: MOTUL GEAR 300
    Type / Viscosity: 100% synth 75W-90 API GL4/GL5 & MIL-L-2105D
    K’s on vehicle at time of change: 10000
    “Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 3 after 000's km

---

Car: 3mps gen 1
    Oil Brand: Penrite Sin Gear oil 75
    Type / Viscosity: 100% synth 75W-90 GL5/6 & MIL-L-2105D, MIL-L-PRF-2105E
    K’s on vehicle at time of change: 20000
    Oil change number: 2
    “Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 10
    Note the spec sheet for Sin Gear Oil 75 states:
    It has good compatibility with copper alloy components and protects against corrosion.

so no fear of it corroding away the yellow metal parts...

I'm approaching my 100,000km service and have to do transmission oil. I am not so concerned about wong wong noises being an MPS6, however have really struggled to find a synthetic 75W/90 GL-4 transmission oil. All I can seem to find is Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG. Does anyone with an MPS6 have experience with either?

Either way when I get the service I will post my opinion.

I use Millers Motorsport CRX 75w90 NT in the UK. It is a GL4/5 fully synth and works much better than the Mazda stuff from the factory. Even from new my 6MPS couldn't cope with fast, say 3rd to 6th, changes without crunching - very irritating. Just like a normal box now.

+1 to castrol VMX80 . Improved my cold shifts .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    +1 to castrol VMX80 . Improved my cold shifts .
    I'm on VMX80 now and while it's not quite as silky as the Penrite SIN, it's good...
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast