Thread: The definitive gearbox oil thread

Isnt anything pre-Gen 2 MPS models, 75W-85

2. Default

Brand: Penrite
    Type / Viscosity: SIN 75w90 - GL5
    Vehicle : 2007 Mazda 3 MPS
    K’s on vehicle at time of change: 95,000
    Oil change number: 1
    “Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 5/10 still got it!
    Comments: I changed the gearbox oil not long after purchasing my car and using this thread as a guide I went with the penrite SIN 75. Cold shifting is harder than it was and it actually grinds more going into second and the wong noise is still there but is preety much the same as it was when i first got the car.

I was told by the boys at TUNEHOUSE to use a GL4 oil in the BK series MPS as the GL5/6 oil isnt good for some metals in the gearbox....apparently it reacts with some particular metal in this gearbox. Im going to try castrol VMX 80 or the penrite sin 75-85 which is the GL4 and report back........

Default The definitive gearbox oil thread

^^^^ same bro. Sick of grinding n Wong Wong noise. I'm going to try redline MT90. Improves cold shifts n it's smoother than 75w90

Castrol syntrans (fully synthetic ) 75/85 and nulon gear additives
    For my BK 3 Totally fixed gear changes , no Wong Wong .
    Nulon g70 gear additive seems to work.
    Give the G70 a try.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Castrol syntrans (fully synthetic ) 75/85 and nulon gear additives
    For my BK 3 Totally fixed gear changes , no Wong Wong .
    Nulon g70 gear additive seems to work.
    Give the G70 a try.
    I tried g70 didn't help at all. I will switch back to 75/85. I just wanted to try pen 75/90 n thought it would be smooth but it just made it worse
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    OK I better go first,

Brand: Royal Purple

Type / Viscosity: Max Gear 75w90 - GL5

K’s on vehicle at time of change: ~25000

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 2

Comments: Very noisy diff and gearbox, had difficulty engaging gears on cold mornings until fluid had warmed up a bit.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Brand: Redline

Type / Viscosity: MT90 75w90 - GL4

K’s on vehicle at time of change: ~45000

Oil change number: 2

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 7

Comments: Much quieter than I was experiencing with the Royal Purple , shift is noticeably smoother and feels more precise.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

OK time to update my thread, I have been runing the AMSoil Severe gear 75w90 for the past few months and it has been much better than any of my previous oils

Car: 2007 3 MPS

Oil Brand: AMSoil - Severe Gear

Type / Viscosity: 75w90

K’s on vehicle at time of change: ~95000

Oil change number: 3

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 9

Comments: Great Oil, shifts possibly not quite as smooth as the MT90 (only marginal) but a lot less gearbox whine and shifting generally feels better, and from what I can tell has eliminated woong noise (I do get tyre scrub on tight turns which could be masking any noise), but still noticeably quieter overall than the MT90.
    Also worth noting that I generally have increased gearbox / diff whine in cabin due to aftermarket side & gearbox engine mounts.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by GEN1MPS View Post
    I tried g70 didn't help at all. I will switch back to 75/85. I just wanted to try pen 75/90 n thought it would be smooth but it just made it worse
    Give the syntrans fully synthetic a go, worked for me.

Car: Mazda6 MPS

Oil Brand: Nulon

Type / Viscosity: Full Synthetic 75W-85 Smooth Shift GL4

K’s on vehicle at time of change: 85 000

Oil change number: 2

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: I don't think I have woong woong..

Comments: Greatly improved cold shifts

Car: Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2

Oil Brand: Castrol Syntrans Synthetic 75W-80

Oil Change 2

Wong wong: 10

Comments: After using VMX80 for over 8 months I decided to try this as suggested from a previous poster. I agree with his comments "Almost German Like Precision" Use this oil you will not regret it. Its not cheap but worth the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYMPS View Post
    Car: Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2

Oil Brand: Castrol Syntrans Synthetic 75W-80

Oil Change 2

Wong wong: 10

Comments: After using VMX80 for over 8 months I decided to try this as suggested from a previous poster. I agree with his comments "Almost German Like Precision" Use this oil you will not regret it. Its not cheap but worth the cash.
    So a big improvement over vmx80 then? Worth the cost difference?

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    So a big improvement over vmx80 then? Worth the cost difference?

Significant improvement for me between the 2. 3rd down to 2nd under load much better now. Would spend the extra every time if the box keeps performing the way it is now.

Significant improvement for me between the 2. 3rd down to 2nd under load much better now. Would spend the extra every time if the box keeps performing the way it is now.

Awesome, thanks mate. Anything to improve downshifting is very welcome. Hope it holds up well over time.

Car: 2011 Mazda 3 MPS BL Series II

Oil Brand: Comma

Type / Viscosity: SXGL41L (Semi-Synthetic 75W90 API GL-4)

K’s on vehicle at time of change: 40,940

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 10

Comments: Excellent stuff. When cold, shifts require a bit more muscle than the OEM stuff but once warm its fine. Shift quality has improved, it feels like a more mechanical and raw experience, but it has gotten rid of stuff like the 2nd-3rd grind that would happen every now and then when trying to do a quick 2-3 change, or the audible 1st-2nd clunk (it still clunks, but its much quieter). Box just feels nicer to use. And its only week one. Also, not a sound to be heard from it, great! For those who haven't heard of Comma, its a British made oil, they currently supply Formula Two. Comma :: Home Page
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Can i know how much gearbox oil do we need for a change? Looking to get the Penrite SIN 75w90 (apparently, its now called Pro Gear)

Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    Can i know how much gearbox oil do we need for a change? Looking to get the Penrite SIN 75w90 (apparently, its now called Pro Gear)
    You can check it out at www.penriteoil.com.au , and go to 'Recommendation Guide' to see whats for your car...

There site says its called 'Trans Gear' - I'm guessing thats it. 2.5 Litres is the refill capacity, so one bottle is perfect (2.5L)

According to Tunehouse, they did extensive testing and recommend the Penrite for Gen1's and Castrol for Gen2. They put the Penrite (SIN 75) in mine and it has improved a fair bit, but sometimes the problems are still there (cold shifting isn't the best).
    2006 MPS 3 SPORTS - COSMIC BLUE

STYLING: LED Interior, Number Plate & Parker light replacements | Osram Cool Blue Intense HID Bulb Upgrade | CREE LED Fog Lights

PERFORMANCE: Whiteline RSB |
    SURE Anchors | SURE Shortcut | JBR 70 Trilogy | GFB Respons BOV | COBB APv3 - STAGE 1 | COBB SRI+BOX & TIP | Dual Resonator Delete | T3 Slotted Rotors (F&R) | Remsa Pads all-round |

COMING SOON:
    Downpipe | Autotech HPFP |

Had my car serviced recently, didn't have any noise previously, now absolutely horrendous.

Will find out the brand they stuck...

Sent from my SGS3 4G

17. Default

hey everybody i've been on here a while now never posted anything but have learnt a great deal just wanted to share with everyone that i have come across a piece of paper from mazda that all manual transaxle oil specifications have been changed in all mazda 2,3,6 and all variants of those to classification SAE 75w-80 API service GL-4 so hope that helps, i recently had my gearbox oil changed to a 75w-90 fully sin by an independant mech and have problems with my gearbox shifting from first to second ever since so hopefully when i change it back to 75w80 it will go back to normal will let everyone know how it goes

18. Default

so to report back on my gearbox oil change, one of the mazda techs came up to me and reccomended 75w85 instead of the the 80 as he has a mps aswell and found it to be the best so i told him to try that and see if it works and im happy to say it does gearbox feels brand spankin new can change gears instantly with 1 finger, no grindng, no wong wong noise at all, im am very happy considering my independant mech was pushing hard for a gearbox rebuild, the oil specs are duragear 75w-85 GL4 i hope this is able to help many of you!

Quote Originally Posted by 01KDT View Post
    so to report back on my gearbox oil change, one of the mazda techs came up to me and reccomended 75w85 instead of the the 80 as he has a mps aswell and found it to be the best so i told him to try that and see if it works and im happy to say it does gearbox feels brand spankin new can change gears instantly with 1 finger, no grindng, no wong wong noise at all, im am very happy considering my independant mech was pushing hard for a gearbox rebuild, the oil specs are duragear 75w-85 GL4 i hope this is able to help many of you!
    What brand did you put in?

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Valvoline duragear^^^^^

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast