User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive gearbox oil thread

No point trolling an informative thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 03blk View Post
    I called Penrite technical line this morning. i talked to 'Alan' about our discussions on this thread. For the Gen 1 3MPS he recommended going with the SIN75W90 that TD and others have recommended.

I'm definitely not up with the tech side of things here. But he said he saw no reason to stick with a GL4 and that the MPS's gearbox and diff linkage for lubrication meant a GL5 suited it well.

If someone can elaborate on my last point there with an explanation that'd be great. Sorry if I've worded it wrong.

Otherwise give him a call on the Penrite website 1800 number and he'll tell you the ins an out o his reasoning. It's just one opinion I know. I'm about to do my GB oil and at this stage am leaning toward the Penrite SIN75W90.

Are you still happy with yours Dan?
    Yep, on my second fill of it now and liking it. Gearchanges are good after a few minutes of warm up and there's zero LSD 'wong wong' with it. Will qualify this by saying I haven't used any alternative other than the factory fill.
    Last edited by TD; 15-07-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by novarossi View Post
    I hate my first and second gears there not friends with each other at all . I did that oil change to VMX80 but even though it has improved its still unexceptable in my books. The car has a better rear engine mount and only 76,000ks on it . Such a shame they couldnt really get this right at maxda. I may even change to the Penrite GL5 oil in the near future to see if that helps it a bit. Untill then ill just keep a nice big gap between the 1st 3 gears when on the GO
    It would be worth looking to see if the rear engine mount is a 75 duro not the softer 60 duro , change to the Penrite SIN 75W90 , and you will benifit from a good short shifter kit ( J Barone ) with the lighter wieght & SURE Motorsport gearshift bushes . Depending on howmany k,s the rear engine mount has been in for & whether the car has been tracked or draged you may need to replace it .

Col

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    You guys need to learn how to drive a manual car properly without crunching the gears like girls can!
    The Girls are better than boys argument again This time Artemis I am siding with you girls are probably more accustomed to handling sharfts with big knobs on the end & getting them into the correct slots more smoothly than guys can . You can show me how to use mine better any time you like ..

A male member with a sense of humour
    Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 15-07-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Love your dirty assumptions.

Thanks Col.

Don't you be trolling now.

He has the 75 Duro cp-e mount.

( I know this because I fitted it)

Hopefully posted from my iPhone on the VodaFAIL network.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Love your dirty assumptions.

Thanks Col.

Don't you be trolling now.

Me a dirty man never
    Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

I purchased Penrite SIN75W90 from Autopro and had it installed in my Gen 1 3MPS by JR Automotive here in Cairns yesterday.

Took the car out for a good run lat night and 1st impressions were great. Shift is much crisper and faster. The car is far more willing to downshift and put the power on immediately. 3rd into 2nd is vastly improved. 2nd to 1st whilst on the move likewise. I can't comment on improvement in sound as that was never really a problem with my car.

After more time and testing I'll post a proper rating.

Thanks to TD and Col who both suggested the Penrite for my Gen 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Tunehouse put Castrol VMX80 75W/8 in my gearbox last week. They said something to the effect that they find it the best they've found for the MPS gearboxes.

Shifts aren't RX8 silky smooth but they are a bit better, and downshifting into first while the car is moving is actually possible now.
    I'm going to buy some of this Castrol VMX 80 and take in it into Mazda on my next serviced booked for August. After having a chat to Paul (Oldhead), and asking TD some questions (cos I know jack ), and reading through this thread I reckon it might be worth a go.

I have also had issues with my clutch position moving out twice in my car since I've had it, so gear changes were always a bit dodgy as I got used to the new position. Seems to have settled now, but like you Reedy, going into first while the car is moving is sometimes a bitch.

Seems like not all of us girls are perfect drivers after all
    Last edited by Leelu; 21-07-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Im adding a 2XS SSP to my car this weekend as well as some solid bushings. After which next week ill add a weighted gear knob and the weekend after that i may change my oil to the penrite stuff . Ill let yas all know how it goes but im pretty sure all that should clean up my gears a whole lot better than they are now fingers crossed.

OK i added the 2XS SSP and solid shifter bushings and wow! what a difference. The car should have come from factory like this . The shifts are much more precise and feels like a sports car now. Crunching gears has also toned down so for now im very happy i ordered a TWR weighted gear knob as well so when that comes ill leave my thoughts on that upgrade as well.

It does take a little more force to get the gears through the gate but it makes for a much more sporty feel . I recommend if you havent already got one its a MUST for anyone that has shifting issues. the throw is now perfect between gears

From what I hear a Gen I with a SSP is similar to the Gen II stock feel. maybe Sam was exaddgerating but there is a bit of a difference between both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    From what I hear a Gen I with a SSP is similar to the Gen II stock feel. maybe Sam was exaddgerating but there is a bit of a difference between both of them.
    Gen 2 has a nicer gear change than a gen 1, but a gen 1 with the 2xs ssp has a similar throw distance to a gen 2 stock
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

OK I changed my oil last week.

Car: Gen 2

Oil Brand: Castrol VMX 80

Type / Viscosity: Unknown as the VMX80 I bought had no rating on it

K’s on vehicle at time of change: 29k

Oil change number: 1

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 5

Comments: If I didn't change it myself I'd never know it was done. No difference at all from standard. Gearbox whine is still present and also at idle in the garage when I push the clutch in the noises really quieten down. I'm thinking it may be a dodgy thrust bearing. $36 was worth a try though...

14. Default

I changed my gearbox oil 2 weekend ago

Oil Brand: Castrol VMX 80

K’s on vehicle at time of change: 33000k

Oil change number: 1

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 4

Comments: It was hard to get into 2nd gear on cold mornings, drove it for a week and was not happy with the oil.

Take 2

Oil Brand: Torco

Type / Viscosity: MTF

K’s on vehicle at time of change: 33500k

Oil change number: 2

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 9

Comments: fixed the problem with getting into 2nd gear in cold morinings. Smoother gear shifts .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtf.gif 
Views:	292 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	9313

Thanks for that. Might try Torco. Was this a specific grade?

16. Default

Specifications It is GL-4

Viscosity ?
    http://www.torcousa.com/technology/MTF.pdf

i have penrite 75w 90 in my gen 1 and getting into second when i first start my car is a joke. really really annoying. might try something else.

18. Default

You must try Torco I had the same problem to

Most of posts are for the 3, anyone have the 6 and recommend an oil? Or will it all be similar?
    My gear shifts are getting pretty poor, and getting into 2nd is a mission.

Brand: Redline
    Type / Viscosity: MT90
    Vehicle : 2007 Mazda 3 MPS
    K’s on vehicle at time of change: 70k
    Oil change number: 2
    “Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: Some wong wong at low speeds on tight turns.
    Comments: I find it alot better than the Penrite SYN75w90. Cold shifts have improved alot. I can easily shift into second now. A little wong wong, but it's worth it for the improvement in shifts. (Especially cold shifts)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast