User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive gearbox oil thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    The VMX 80 is for Gen 2 cars, penrite SYN for gen 1 cars.
    I have looked into this. Castrol VMX80 is definitely only recommended for Gen 2's.

VMX-M is recommended for the Gen 1's. Alternatively, Syntrans 75w90 is also recommended for the Gen 1.

It is interesting that the two different models require different oils... I thought our transmissions were the same. Anyone know what the differences are?

More then likely are, wouldn't be to concerned.

Anyone looking to buy oils, make sure you check out PerformanceLub.com.

Harold was so easy to deal with, and alot cheaper than everywhere else!

Highly recommended!

Got a pleasant surprise today, Penrite SIN 75/90 is available off the shelf at your local Repco store, no special orders required. Even comes in a 2.5L container which is the exact amount the Gen1 3MPS needs. Price was $53ish from memory...

Dropping the old Penrite fill out tomorrow and filling with fresh stuff after 40,000km of wong-wong free motoring
    Last edited by TD; 18-06-2011 at 06:19 PM.

hi guys !

Im new here and this is my first post so bear with me

I just brought myself a mazda True Red 3 mps gen 1 with 76,000 on the clock a few weeks ago and have a few questions.. mainly about the gearbox.

ok wong wong sound was about 5/10 and i have no idea what oil was in the box but the previous owner says its the std mazda oil so whatever that is.
    It had a fair bit of diff whine between 45 and 55 kph in any gear and cold shifting from 1st to second and from 3rd back to second was horrid untill it warmed up. Even when warmed up 1st to second would most times crunch and always felt like i had to really concentrate on matching the revs and slowing the shifts.

After reading allot of threads and posts on here i decided on changing the oil to Castrol VMX 80.

I did this yesterday and here are the results

wong wong noise is 10/10 totally gone
    cold shifts are noticably better and overall shifting does feel a little more ....lubed i guess is the best way to describe it. the second gear crunch is sometimes still there but deffinately not as bad as it was.
    Tourque steer is allot less and going into 1st whilst rolling is now allot easier.

Thing is the 45-55 diff whine is still there and it does feel like it wheelspins a bit more than before.....

question is Have i done the rite thing with the brand and choice of oil ??? mainly because of all the talk about the penrite sin 75 90.should i be using that ? and is my LSD now not working as well thats why there is more wheel spin and less tourque steer ? is this diff whine im experiencing normal ? Its only in about a 15kph window and every other speed its pretty well non existant.

any ideas or sugestions would be a massive help thanks guys.

oh and buy the way it does have a stronger rear engine mount fitted but not sure what brand.

Love the car though

VMX 80 is recommended for Gen 2's only. (Don't know why though.)

I personally would not recommend the Penrite SYN 75w90 Gl5. Shifts were fairly poor, but no 'wong wong'. However, apparently a GL5 will cause premature wear to the synchros.

Not sure about the diff whine. Hard to say if its normal or not without hearing a sound clip.

I am currently running Redline MT90. Shifts have improved alot, but theres a bit of 'wong wong'. Cold shifts, i can now change smoothly without any crunching. Just have to shift a little slower until it warms up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    However, apparently a GL5 will cause premature wear to the synchros.
    I'll think you'll find that the Penrite SIN75 could be one of the exceptions to this rule, due to possibly not having the additives which attack yellow metals (copper, bronze etc) which are present in other GL5's.

My memory on this is a bit sketchy so I'll attempt to dig up the technical reference later tonight.
    Last edited by TD; 28-06-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Product References:

Penrite Sin 75 SIN GEAR OIL 75 - Penrite Oil

Penrite Sin Manual Trans SIN MANUAL TRANS - Penrite Oil

Castrol Castrol Australia - Manual Transmission Fluid

Redline MT90 Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

Royal Purple Max Gear Royal Purple Synthetic Oil - Australia

I couldn't find a suitable oil from Motul...
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Thanks for the input guys . I guess the VMX80 can stay in there as it doesn't seem like its going to cause any problems . But what does bug me is why there are 2 different oils recommend for both gens. Like you guys said they are the same box ??? why different oil ? could it be maybe they found that VMX80 was a better oil in the long run and didn't want to change there minds on the Gen 1 recommendations because it would make them look bad ????

Who knows . If anyone actually knows why there is a difference id love to hear it .

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by novarossi View Post
    Thanks for the input guys . I guess the VMX80 can stay in there as it doesn't seem like its going to cause any problems . But what does bug me is why there are 2 different oils recommend for both gens. Like you guys said they are the same box ??? why different oil ? could it be maybe they found that VMX80 was a better oil in the long run and didn't want to change there minds on the Gen 1 recommendations because it would make them look bad ????

Who knows . If anyone actually knows why there is a difference id love to hear it .

cheers
    Could be some differences in the components used for bushings or similar?

I'm going to change my gearbox oil on Saturday and looked at the vmx80 and there is the standard one without any grades on it and also 75w 85 and 75w 80. Do I just go the unmarked vmx80 or a specific grade? Thanks in advance

well i just got the one without grades on it . It was all they had . VMX80 was all it said on it . Its a good question now im wondering if i got the right oil. The gear changes are a little smoother . and only a little i might add. But tourque steer is almost gone altogether and wong wong totally gone . so it didn something .

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    I'll think you'll find that the Penrite SIN75 could be one of the exceptions to this rule, due to possibly not having the additives which attack yellow metals (copper, bronze etc) which are present in other GL5's.

My memory on this is a bit sketchy so I'll attempt to dig up the technical reference later tonight.
    I called Penrite technical line this morning. i talked to 'Alan' about our discussions on this thread. For the Gen 1 3MPS he recommended going with the SIN75W90 that TD and others have recommended.

I'm definitely not up with the tech side of things here. But he said he saw no reason to stick with a GL4 and that the MPS's gearbox and diff linkage for lubrication meant a GL5 suited it well.

If someone can elaborate on my last point there with an explanation that'd be great. Sorry if I've worded it wrong.

Otherwise give him a call on the Penrite website 1800 number and he'll tell you the ins an out o his reasoning. It's just one opinion I know. I'm about to do my GB oil and at this stage am leaning toward the Penrite SIN75W90.

Are you still happy with yours Dan?

[QUOTE=03blk;180171]I called Penrite technical line this morning. i talked to 'Alan' about our discussions on this thread. For the Gen 1 3MPS he recommended going with the SIN75W90 that TD and others have recommended.

I'm definitely not up with the tech side of things here. But he said he saw no reason to stick with a GL4 and that the MPS's gearbox and diff linkage for lubrication meant a GL5 suited it well.

If someone can elaborate on my last point there with an explanation that'd be great. Sorry if I've worded it wrong
    Otherwise give him a call on the Penrite website 1800 number and he'll tell you the ins an out o his reasoning. It's just one opinion I know. I'm about to do my GB oil and at this stage am leaning toward the Penrite SIN75W90.

Hi Tom ,
    I have been using Penrite SIN 75W90 for about 18 months , no probs so far except Madaz has sat in the garage for the last 9 months apart from the occasional cruise Worth noting Westco Mazda recommends this gearbox oil as well .

Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 14-07-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

I hate my first and second gears there not friends with each other at all . I did that oil change to VMX80 but even though it has improved its still unexceptable in my books. The car has a better rear engine mount and only 76,000ks on it . Such a shame they couldnt really get this right at maxda. I may even change to the Penrite GL5 oil in the near future to see if that helps it a bit. Untill then ill just keep a nice big gap between the 1st 3 gears when on the GO

You guys need to learn how to drive a manual car properly without crunching the gears like girls can!

Yeah, I am sure it's just all of our bad driving

I don't know what they are like from the factory, but my gear changes leave alot to be desired.

Well how come I've been able to manage ok with both my Gen I & II? It's called a clutch you know lol.

Maybe your transmission didn't have any problems?

Everyones so serious on here.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast