User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive gearbox oil thread

Quick question, just gone over 60,000km and want to get some Penrite Sin where have you guys been purchasing/ordering from?

Also how easy is it to change oil over with a trolley jack?

The SIN stuff is a special order oil I was told so by Repco and Autobarn.

Changing the tranny oil is simple, Jack up the car, put it on chassy stands, then take off the black stone tray cover, make sure you have an oil pan under the gearbox and you need to undo the lowest drain plug on the gearbox it is just below the CV joint, I think it's 24mm socket that you need.

The fill hole is on the front of the geabox, you will see a bolt that is on an angle which you must not touch, the one you need to undo is below that and I think you yet again need the 24mm socket on a breaker bar to get it undone.

Thats just a rough guide, I'll PM you a link of a howto I've just googled lol
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Can you post the link up for all of us...??

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Can you post the link up for all of us...??
    +1

Chris.

Or 1mte of clear 20mm ID tube and one 20mm black irrigation pipe elbow , the elbow fits into tube and end of elbow fits into fill hole (the lip on the elbow holds it in place in gearbox)
    Push tube up through any space in engine bay and insert small funnel,fill slowly ,checking several times.till fluid is just overflowing from fill hole 2.5litres is max .
    DO NOT overtighten drain nut or fill nut ,they can be stripped easily and then its a bitch.

Car: Mazda6 MPS

Oil Brand: Red Line

Type / Viscosity: MT-90 75W90 GL-4

K’s on vehicle at time of change: 100,000km

Oil change number: As far as I know, this was it's first

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: N/A

Comments: There was minimal improvement when it was first changed. In fact, downshifting second gear on a cold start was near impossible, and at times I would have to stop to get it into first. After warming up, there was a notable improvement in shift feel. It has now been approx. 2,500km since the change and things have free'd up nicely when cold. You still have to be careful with the first couple of downshifts but it seems to have smoothed out. I'd also like to say thanks to Harold at performancelub.com, someone on here (I think it was Kagerou) mentioned his website and that's how I got onto it. It was a good price, fast shipping and Harold is very friendly as well. I'd recommend the business to anyone looking for non-mainstream oils.

Just been researching different gear oils tonight...

I know alot of people are using Castrol VMX 80 which is a mineral oil. Has anyone tried Castrol Syntrans 75w85? It's recommended by Castrol for our cars. It's a fully synthetic GL4 oil which is meant to greatly improve shifts.

Thoughts?

Well that is very similar to the peneite oil that I have in mine, it's a 75w85 and is a GL4 oil, more people on here should give it ago, it's the SYN oil too and it completely got rid of the wong wong noise and my shifts are better than when I first got the car, cold mornings are never a problem for me.

Oh and forgot to mention that torque steer also minimized...

Tunehouse put Castrol VMX80 75W/8 in my gearbox last week. They said something to the effect that they find it the best they've found for the MPS gearboxes.

Shifts aren't RX8 silky smooth but they are a bit better, and downshifting into first while the car is moving is actually possible now.

^^^ is that 75W-80 or 85???

Dunno, that's exactly as it appears on the invoice. Guessing 80

I also use VMX 80, shifts great still.

Have been lucky enough to have a manual rodeo and an rx7, both known for bad cold shift problems and the recommended oils didn't improve them, vmx 80 made them alot nicer.

I am going to try VMX80 in the near future after similar reports.

I'll let everyone know how it compares to the penrite

Well I'm about to do my 100,000km service and been thinking on draining out the Syn 75w85 GL4 oil I have in my box and drop in what the others have been using which is the 75w90 Syn GL5, would there be much difference between the two??? I know the viscosity and grade are slightly different but apart from that all I could tell from the Penrite website was that they recommend the Syn 75w90 GL5 for boxes with LSDs as the one I have doesn't mention it.

I've also noticed something weird, it happens when I come up or down steep driveways and I have the steering turned a bit, when I go to accelerate it almost feels like one wheel is turning and the other is not, it's almost as if the LSD is not hooking up. I wonder if this has something to do with the viscosity and thought I'd ask before I go and spend $60+ on the Syn 75w90 stuff....
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

From what I know about the Penrite SYN 75w90, it is mainly used to remove 'wong wong' noise. (It has added friction modifiers to quieten the LSD)

Alot of people have suggested it is a bad idea using a gl5 oil as it will lead to wear of the synchros.

I am currently running the Penrite SYN 75w90 (done by Mazda) and plan on changing to Castrol Syntrans 75w90 GL4 or Castrol VMX 80 GL4 (Which is meant to fix alot of shifting issues)

Hope that clears things up a bit.

I'm soddy if this may have been covered before, but can anyone clarify the volume of the gearbox oil required? Is 2.5L correct? Cheers

Just to clarify, because ive seen them talked about in comparison.
    The VMX 80 is for Gen 2 cars, penrite SYN for gen 1 cars.
    These cars have different recommended grades.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thelegend64 View Post
    I'm soddy if this may have been covered before, but can anyone clarify the volume of the gearbox oil required? Is 2.5L correct? Cheers
    Fill to the top drain plug, with the car on a flat surface. Not with the front jacked up whilst the back is on the ground.

Cheers Cton but I was wondering how much I had to purchase.

Yep 2.5L mate

Oil recommendations from many sites like Penrite, Castrol etc tell you the capacity of both engine and gearbox...

Not to forget owners manual

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast