Thread: The definitive gearbox oil thread

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by creole View Post
    @GoonBong what gen is your MS3?
    Gen 2.

2. Default

Car: 2010 GENII MS3

Oil Brand:
    Nulon 75w85 smooth shift (WSD-M2C200-C meets same requirements as: fomoco XT-M5-QS)

Type / Viscosity: 75w85 gl4

K’s on vehicle at time of change: 90,000k

Oil change number: 3!

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 7/10

Comments:
    VMX @ 70,000K good oil no wong, but still had occasional 3rd gear WOT lock out.
    Redline MTL @ 90,000km no wong , complete garbage. Notchy shifts, backlash on downshifts, WOT lockout on 2nd and 3rd.
    Nulon 75w85 Smooth shift, has wong wong 7/10, but absolutely great GB oil. Great cold performance, No wot lockouts (yet), ultra smooth engagements, no backlash when downshifting to 2nd, and meets XT M5 QS specification equivalent.

Penrite 75W-90 GL4 - how many litres do I need? Gen 1 MPS

2.5L, but to make it overflow, its gonna be something like 2.6~2.7

Thanks mate - looks like I'll get away with 2.5 + 1L bottles.

Car: 2006 Gen 1 MPS 3

Oil Brand: Penrite (on special at Repco $24.95 for 2.5L bottle, bought two)

Type / Viscosity: 75w80 GL4-Plus semi synthetic (as recommended per Mazda guidelines)

K’s on vehicle at time of change: 160K

Oil change number: no idea

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: don't actually know what this is.

Comments: Since owning my car (from ~ 145K) I'd never had the oil changed, and had some unpredictable shifting. After the oil was replaced the gearbox felt much smoother, then I adjusted the shifter using the guide below (basically centered the gear stick with some resistance then clicked it back in). Success - much more predictable to shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duIbdq-MQtw

JB
    Last edited by Byrd; 28-10-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Car: 2006 Gen 1 MPS 3

Oil Brand: Penrite (on special at Repco $24.95 for 2.5L bottle, bought two)

Type / Viscosity: 75w80 GL4-Plus semi synthetic (as recommended per Mazda guidelines)

K’s on vehicle at time of change: 160K

Oil change number: no idea

“Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: don't actually know what this is.

Comments: Since owning my car (from ~ 145K) I'd never had the oil changed, and had some unpredictable shifting. After the oil was replaced the gearbox felt much smoother, then I adjusted the shifter using the guide below. Success - much more predictable to shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duIbdq-MQtw

JB
    Nice to see you've had a good result with this oil too. I think it's the best I've used in my Gen 1.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    - 2006 BK MPS 3 -

Yep DD3, I did notice your posts on the Penrite which swayed me to get it - thanks So much choice in this thread though, best to keep @ stock in this instance.

Prior to the trans oil change, I was finding it hard work to get the car moving at low speeds. Next step is shifter bushings - might just get some stock rubber units and replace. My MPS came to me in fantastic condition with a good stealership history, but its becoming more apparent nothing much was replaced during this time. Things like cabin filter, plugs were roached and I don't think the trans oil was ever touched either.

9. Default

Brand: Valvoline
    Type / Viscosity: Dura Gear 75w-85 GL4
    Vehicle : 2008 Mazda 3 MPS
    K’s on vehicle at time of change: 122,000
    Oil change number: 3
    “Woong Woong” Factor out of 10: 10
    Comments: This is the only oil to use guys. Don't waste your time and money on anything else. I have tried a lot of different oils and grades and this is the best. $55 for 4 litres

Ok peeps, on the cup weekend just gone I took it upon myself to give the new aquisition the once over and get it spic and span. The previous owner has done all the maintenance from the end of warranty, and with 66k on it I figured what hasnt been changed due to outright kays, is probably in need simply due to age....

Id just like to note that the box changed like butter prior to this oil change. Not 1 issue.
    BRAND: Penrite
    TYPE: Syn 75-90
    MODEL: Gen 1
    K'S @ CHANGE :68000
    OIL CHANGE NO: 1 (previous owner never did it apparrently)
    WONG WONG: 10/10
    COMMENT: I shouldnt have touched it!!!

Ok, the oil that came out was cold, not warmed up, and honestly came out like water.....not good. However, it changed perfectly, and the oil was clean. The Penrite has resulted in crunching into second, occasionally third. It did improve after the first day or two to being able to live with it, however, each change (other than 4th or 6th) makes noise (or clunks in) where before it didnt.

Rather than go thru several oils, I chose to take the path alluded to here by one orher member, and that the majority of those on the mazdaspeed forum have. I have ordered the FoMoCo oil reccommended, and hopefully thats the only oil Ill ever need in it.

Sure its more expensive, but Im the sort to do something once, and get it right. I hate mucking around.
    Im looking at appx a 2 week wait for arrival from the states, and Ill update this post once it goes in.
    TBA.....

As a matter of interest, I remember years ago that guys in the racing scene were using auto tranny oil in their race cars boxes. And swore by it. Im not prepared to try it because I dont have the cash for an expensive rebuild; but given the viscosity of the old factory oil that came out of it, it may be closer to what these boxes perform best with....
    Who knows about longevity though....
    Last edited by Dog; 04-11-2016 at 09:47 AM.

11. Default

Way to bring this to the front again!

I've had 1 change @ the recommended interval. Used the Penrite... shifting was clunkier for sure. Now with approx 50k on the clock since, I am used to it, but believe it's not all that it's cracked up to be. I still get crunching into 6th if I don't baby it. Definitely louder on shift...

Maybe next service (150k) I'll ask for a change to factory spec stuff just to see if there's a difference again. Might also get them to change the thermostat which I purchased a few years back too...
    3 MPS - Rolling on Pirelli PZero Neros, sitting on Bilstein B12's, stock internals... still makes me smile with the Zoom Zoom.

Ok....time for an update.
    Ive been running the motorgear stuff from the states for a little over a week now.
    Initial impression is that whilst its better than the penrite, its not as good as the original oil was.
    It requires careful shifts for the first minute or two from cold.....
    Its liveable and not horrible like the penrite was, but honestly......still regretting dumping the original oil.
    Just not sure whether I continue my search for something better, or do I stick with this.......
    Time will tell.
    PS.....I forgot the "wong wong" factor.....
    Ive no other oils that have resulted in the noise until now, so a rating out of 10 is not possible....but its certainly there now with the motorgear oil.....
    Last edited by Dog; 23-11-2016 at 05:53 AM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112