User Tag List

Thread: Hail Damage in canberra

Default Hail Damage in canberra

Hi guys,

I was caught in a hail storm on the north side of Canberra yesterday and noticed this morning my roof has been seriously damaged, whilst the bonnet seems to have survived. I've been told by some friends that mazdas have notoriously thin metal on the roof and prone to damage. Has anyone else had this happen & if so what's the best way to go about getting it repaired & is it worth it? By the way my MPS is True Red & I know from owning red cars in the past that repainting panels shows a variance in colour over time..............
    Last edited by rogwick; 03-12-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

With "limited" information and no photos its hard to give you the "right" advice
    Going on the repair job i had done from hail (check here | RED3VIL) there are a few options

Get the car assessed and see what your insurance company says
    You may have to pay an excess and loose part of no claim bonus - you will need to ask them
    You may also be able to buy the car back off them if its a write-off, again all deopends

I had the roof, bonnet and boot replaced
    All other panels where knocked out and a bit of bog used + new paint job

Some of your panels may have light dents, that are more difficult to notice, as did my Bro
    They wrote his car off and he bought it back off them, he cme out on top with cash his way and his car doesn't look too bad

Hope this helps
    Last edited by rogwick; 03-12-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added hyperlink

Damn! Sorry to hear mate! Some photo's would help yeah definitely, post them up if you have them. Mat (above) is probably the best to talk to as we got hit by a massive hail storm time time ago which cleared over a Billion dollars damage across areas of Perth. There's at least a few thousand dollars damage and repair without even looking at it I reckon. Take it in for an insurance claim, check the bonnet too, not doubt there may be small dimples. I advise checking out Red3vil's thread

Well, I dont think it's not a write off. Sorry no phot's yet, though I think I'll get it assessed sooner rather than later..............

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm really pissed as I was meant to leave work 1 hour before i did & I would have missed the whole storm.

happens

Make sure you keep on the insurance companies back too, get names and keep dates of who you spoke to etc
    Understandable they are under pressure and will have lots of claims to sort but if they can put one aside they will try it
    Secondly if you have a prefered workshop, push for that, you will still get the lifetime repair ( or what ever its called) if anyuthing faults related to the repair job

Will be interested in seeing how it goes

Blog Entries

Very rarely is a car a write off due to hail..unless its had smashed windows ect

Mine got damaged in hail and had (from a quote from 3 repair shops) $9k worth of damage (parts and labour) and they would not right it off, I got told that there needs to be either structural damage or 80% of the cars value in damage for them to write it off.

With a red car also triple check it when you get it back and make sure all panels are the same colour, red is the hardest colour to match.
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

It got too the point where they were writing off vehicles here to ease the large workload on the panel shops etc
    Rule of thumb was/is, once the repairs exceed 80% of value of the car

8. Default

god sounds like wether has been shit house there since we have been away. ask vanq where he got his roo dmaage prepared i heard the guy did a great job

Man...its sounds like dejavu from the melbourne hail earlier this year. Sorry to hear that mate. The MPS roofs are notoriously thin but its difficult to escape from damage with hail. I suspect that you might have a bit more damage than that. I thought only my roof was damaged but when I took it in to a panel beater (who is now the only one I would recommend - see the panelbeater recommendation thread) he pointed out other damage that was almost invisible to the naked eye and could only see it in a few angles of light.

Best is to get the insurance onto it pronto. Or if you have a panelbeater that you have a good rapport with, they can do the assessment and make the insurance claim for u. Hope it all works out for u.

So sorry to hear mate.

I have an intense dislike for hail, and it makes me sad when someone comes a cropper from it.

Hope when its repaired your car is better than new

Thanks guys,

I am way too busy at the moment to have it looked @ by a panel beater, though I will report it to the insurance company.

I used to live in Sydney & had my red SXR Celica repaired by a mob in Hornsby & they were great. I haven't had the need to have any work done on my cars in Canberra as the yhave all been work vehicles. Well, I'll have to do some research..... Yes I hope she looks better than brand new when she's done, then waiting for the next hail storm..
    Me hopes not.....