User Tag List

Thread: My performance mods

Default My performance mods

Hey all. I installed my corksport sri today. here are my thoughts on the process...

I am not a mechanic by any means. Except for car stereos i have no experience in modding cars. I have learned everything i know about turbo engines and performance mods by being a part of ozmpsclub. thanks everyone.

Engine mods on my 07 MPS3 prior to install:
    Turbosmart dual port BOV
    CPE rear engine mount 60d
    2XS short shift plate

My car this morning
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	6603
    All the bits i took out... stock airbox, battery and stock TIP. The battery conpartment is out drying... thought id wash it out after descovering quite a bit of dirt under the battery... im guessing it got there through the vent from the bonnet scoops?
    The instructions didnt mention taking off the hose from the crank (or something) which i found easy to do using a couple of skinney allen keys to undo the clips.

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	6606

The empty space where it all came from.

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	6602

Parts to install

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	6604

TIP in! was fairly easy though the hose going from the pipe to the crank thingy was pain... i could only get it on most of the way... but it aint going anywhere.
    Also had to trim the stock hose from the BOV on the TIP end... there was a slight curve in it which wouldnt allow it to go on far enough to let it get back on the BOV.

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	6605

continued on following post...

View of the TIP on the turbo

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	6609

After putting the battery back when the instructions suggested... i realised it would be easier to finnish the job without the battery being in the way... so i took it out again...
    The filter didnt seem to line up perfectly on the MAF housing once the airbox was in... but the clamps still made it secure enough.

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	6610

Ready fo a test drive... Heaps of induction and BOV noise even though its set to recurc...
    Was raining so no comment on performance... only wheel spin to report in low gears... boosts nice in higher gears though.
    Best of all... NO CELS!!

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	6611

You can see the 2XS shift plate now without that big ugly box in the way.

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	6608

All done... time for lunch.

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	6607

Well all up it was a fun experience. Took me about 4 hours to do by myself with no experience. Was great that all the bolts were 10mm so i only needed a basic socket set, a ring spanner and plyers for the hose clamps, and allen keys for the MAF and CS airbox.
    I plan to get a FMIC by christmas. Hope this helps anyone who may be interested but apprehensive about performance mods.

Thanks mate. Promising for those newbs to installs. Keep us up to date on how the new SRI feels.

Looks good. Congrats!

Great work, well done with the install.

Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by langer5489 View Post
    You can see the 2XS shift plate now without that big ugly box in the way.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Thanks Langer.
    I'm going to be doing pretty similar work over the chrissy break, so I hope to keep it all as clean as you have.
    Cheers.

I also had my Corksport SRI installed today but I chose to pay for mine to go in. 2 hours / $160 and they had the same hassles as you did. Very happy with the result. Now for my EcuTek tune in early 2011 as my car can now breathe in and out (dp fitted a few months ago) properly.

This is to help the performance of keeping bugs of my radiator and soon to be fmic...

Hopefully I'm not sacrificing any airflow?

To keep the bugs out, perhaps you could have a motein purge, pass it off as nitrous to your mates!

Think I need some of this to keep the leaves out.... there's a heap of them trapped up against the radiator now, and the only way I can see realistically getting them out is to take off the plastic undertray under the car......... really annoying

Justin has a mesh grille on his 3 but replaced the existing grille

the aperture of the mesh is way too small. it will restrict the air flow going to your radiator and even more so after a fmic. the faster you go, the less air actually gets through due to turbulence, and will most likely deflect away. sorry for the negative comments, just simple physics really.

the bigger bugs will tend to get hit by the grill already there and the smaller ones that get through will eventually dry and fall off.

good work on the install of your parts though rewarding when you install things and they work just be prepared for the opposite when things don't... all part of modding cars, love-hate relationship lol