User Tag List

Thread: Knocking noise on rear suspension

1. Default Knocking noise on rear suspension

Hey guys

There has been a knocking noise from the rear on my mps3 hatch gen1 ever since I bought this car second hand. And it's pissing me off I have sent it to Mazda three times and it is still there...... Seriously.....
    First they said it's normal
    Seconds I brought it to another dealer and they found a knocking noise and replace the rear right end link.
    Third it was still there and they thought repositioning the rear seat would fix a knocking noise from the suspension... Seriously man lol
    What can it be loose shock? I want to send it back because they found the fault under warranty and don't want it back till it's fixed..

2. Default

no one knows?

I don't own a 3 but I think if I were you I would take to another mechanic or a suspension place and get them to look at it.
    I've heard to many stories of dealers that say "yeah, that's normal" half the time they have no clue about what actually happens in the car, just basic servicing and warranty repairs
    I assume it's suspension related and the noise occurs when you go over bumps etc?

Firstly i'd pull everything out of the back, tools, wheel etc and then see if its better or worse

Shock issues is common, so that is a possibility.
    The first things to change because they are cheap and easy would be end links (which i see has been tried) and the sway bar bushes.
    I've had a knock in the front of my car for some time, i thought bushes as i could feel the clunk through the floor, dealer said end links and definately not bushes, that wouldn't make that sound.
    So i changed the links, and didn't fix it.
    Dealer and Dad (mechanic) then said its shocks, dealer (another) said he's heard that issue its the shock valves.
    So i put in new shocks.
    Didn't fix it. But made huge improvement to the car so it didn't bother me.
    Got around to fitting new bushes yesterday. Its now perfectly quiet.

The suspension on a 3 is a bit thumpy, but definately not clunky.
    But can be described as normal because clunky suspension is common

I had a clunk in the rear when I went over bumps a REAL KLUNK it turned out to be the rear sway bar bolt was loose it happened about a month after again they locktighted the bolt & didn't have any more issues with it .

Col

Quote Originally Posted by YOU LOSE View Post
    I had a clunk in the rear when I went over bumps a REAL KLUNK it turned out to be the rear sway bar bolt was loose it happened about a month after again they locktighted the bolt & didn't have any more issues with it .

Col
    That's the most common one!
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

I have had a clunk from the left rear for a while now and thought it was the rear shock or like the above posts the rear sway bar bolts. (naturaly Mazda said everything is fine), I just checked everything again and found the bolts that adjust the "rear control arms" Not too sure if that the right term) the bolts that have adjustment marks on them for camber maybe............., and found they were a bit loose (probably about one and a half turns in them. I tightened them up (naturally making sure the adjustment stayed the same) and since then the rear has been a lot quieter.

Anyway that might be another thing to check.

Damo
    2006 True Red Gen 1 3 MPS Sports.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Corksport Stuff, Special Mazda 6 Horn

From my experiences I can only suggest looking at rear shocks or end-links.

Quote Originally Posted by YOU LOSE View Post

Col

I had that one as well.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Items to check first.

1: Endlinks.
    2: Swaybar mounts and bushes
    3: Shock mounting points (mostly top, I've heard of the mounting/locating bolt, fixed to the car, actually snap off)
    4: Tyre removal tools (Jack etc)
    5: Pay $14 for a Pedders suspension check - I'm lost.

Quote Originally Posted by markeymagz View Post
    Hey guys

There has been a knocking noise from the rear on my mps3 hatch gen1 ever since I bought this car second hand. And it's pissing me off I have sent it to Mazda three times and it is still there...... Seriously.....
    First they said it's normalSeconds I brought it to another dealer and they found a knocking noise and replace the rear right end link.
    Third it was still there and they thought repositioning the rear seat would fix a knocking noise from the suspension... Seriously man lol
    What can it be loose shock? I want to send it back because they found the fault under warranty and don't want it back till it's fixed..
    got my service done yesterday and asked mazda to look into a knock at the rear.. they come back with "tightened all suspension items" seems normal !only happens over big bumps and seems like something is loose..!

might take out all the jack pieces and failing that do the $14 pedders check..
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

12. Default

Hey guys after speaking to Mazda they said it was fine to go to pedders and get a report from them and confirm if that is it. Pedders found that the shock valves were making a knocking noise. Which then I told Mazda about it and they still stuffed me around saying that they have to check it themselves and that pedders report is nothing to them and NOW may not be coverd under warranty.
    Pretty much they have to send in a request and if Mazda accepts they will fix it..

But why so much stuffing around.....

I'm thinking of just chucking in coilovers. What are good coilovers for the 3?

Thanks guys for the replys