User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 2 Transmission oil

Default Gen 2 Transmission oil

Hi guys, recently had Tunehouse change my transmission oil after the dealer had done it, when i got it back from the dealer it had bad diff whine and wasnt the best for changing gears especially when cold.
    Tunehouse replaced mine with Castrol VMX 80. which is a 75w/80 GL4 oil.
    It is perfect now. No noise and excellent for changing gears. WookieBMX from here also drove my car and commented on how well the gearbox feels compared with his which still has the stock oil in it.
    I know this has been a problem for a few after an oil change so i recommend this oil 100%.
    Also note that the Gen 2 requires a different oil to the Gen 1.
    Last edited by Cton; 26-11-2010 at 04:57 PM.

The dealership recently put in the Penrite Syn stuff can't remember viscocity.

But deiff noise isn't apparent anymore.

But gear changes isn't exactly the best.

Thanks for that Cton. Mine's up for its 10,000 service soon. Will see how it comes out afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had Mazda put vmx 80 in today at my service. Brilliant stuff, diff wine completely gone, gears feel light and snappy rather than heavy and crunchy.
    I'll try it out completely cold in the morning, see how it goes then.

Thanks cton for recommending this and anyone having problems should deffinatly give it a try

Glad it worked for you. This stuff is great in the gen 2.

Any more info on why the gearbox/diff oil is different between Gen 2 and Gen 1? Would be very interested to know.

I'm up for gearbox oil change number two (80k service), had the Penrite Sin 75/90 in there and it's really degraded over the last 10k, gears are quite difficult to change now at 78k and there's a fair bit of gearbox whine.

Dan had mine serviced the other day. I can't remember what it was but gear change is really smooth now! All I know at this point is that it was 75/90W will edit and post brand when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    Dan had mine serviced the other day. I can't remember what it was but gear change is really smooth now! All I know at this point is that it was 75/90W will edit and post brand when I get home.
    That would be great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    That would be great, thanks.
    Okay Dan its actually the same as Cton's Castrol VMX 80 75w/80 GL4 oil. Fancy that!!

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    Okay Dan its actually the same as Cton's Castrol VMX 80 75w/80 GL4 oil. Fancy that!!
    From the reports so far it looks like the Castrol is the goods. Might get this done on my next service also. Cheers guys

Dan

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks Cton ,dropped the std oil from gbox yesterday and filled with VMX80. YES it now feels better,not as notchy when cold.
    VMX80 deff better than std oem oil.

hi guys,
    planning to change my gearbox oil soon too.

it might sound abit stupid, but do i need to change the diff oil too?
    and how many litres do i need to completely flush and change the gearbox oil?

thanks

Hmm interesting, sorry to bring up an old post but i also had a similar situation with mine and after much "looking into" by the service department they put in a "new formula" thats gotten rid of the sound.. Unfortunately i had no idea what grade or what oil it was. Wonder if i can just buy and get them to throw the castrol vmx 80 at the next service..? I mean, i already do that with my engine oil so what does it matter? lol

i put mazdas version of the VMX80 in, seems worse gears hard to get in esp 2nd

weird

use Castrol VMX80 if you have a gen 2. dont use Mazdas version.....
    Thats the exact reason i went with it in the first place, Whatever Mazda is using sucks.

I had VMX80 in mine and second gear was still notchy, especially when cold. Put in Penrite SIN75 and the gearbox is really smooth now - on all gears and at all temps.

Quote Originally Posted by GoonBong View Post
    I had VMX80 in mine and second gear was still notchy, especially when cold. Put in Penrite SIN75 and the gearbox is really smooth now - on all gears and at all temps.
    Hey Mr Bong, how many k's on your GENII?
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

$59 on some random site.

$42 @ Supercheap.

At 44000k's now. Occasionally first gear won't engage at first attempt when cold. Maybe due for a change?

Done around 34,000km now. Can't really recommend the VMX, but get the Penrite, you wont be disappointed.

Hmm thats interesting how theres two side of the story, so Penrite or Castrol? I'm thinking i'm needing a flush soon after my track day. Mazda reckons gearbox oil needs to be done every 100,000km or something weird like that.. I can feel the shift is crappy on cold starts already. How does the Castrol go once u get abit of heat into them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast