User Tag List

Thread: Question for MPS6 owners

Default Question for MPS6 owners

Hi all...

I've had my MPS 6 for a couple of months now and I've noticed that in 1st gear the turbo only starts to "kick in" when the tachometer passes 3000rpm. As I change to higher gears the turbo kicks in significantly earlier. The lack of boost in 1st gear below 3000rpm is really annoying. I was just wondering if this is normal for a Mazda 6 MPS? Is this what other MPS 6 owners experience?
    Last edited by wesley; 25-11-2010 at 03:06 AM.

Be glad you don't drive a 3 then
    In more seriousness, there is boost limiters in place for 1st and 2nd gears... I think the 6 is much less limited than the 3 though...

This is normal. Because there isn't much load in 1st gear the engine doesn't really get a chance to build any boost and I believe this goes for most turbo cars.

Why would you need boost in 1st gear under 3000rpm? The stock turbo spools so early that i found it annoying because i would be on boost all day while just driving around in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    This is normal. Because there isn't much load in 1st gear the engine doesn't really get a chance to build any boost and I believe this goes for most turbo cars.

Why would you need boost in 1st gear under 3000rpm? The stock turbo spools so early that i found it annoying because i would be on boost all day while just driving around in traffic.
    Correct, it's much much easier to come onto boost in the higher gears, in fact, you can hardly accelerate without coming onto boost in 5th/6th gear. If I remember it was around 2,500RPM stock in first gear, no?
    Have you any mods installed Wesley? I'm coming onto boost around 2,000RPM with mods

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Mine is on boost reliably in all gears from 2500rpm on. If I'm planning an aggressive move such as a pass in limited space, I'll down-shift to ensure I'm in the best operational range of 2500-3000rpm and gradually building rpm on slight throttle opening before engaging what I happily refer to as "full military boost". In my case this also ensure all my very long inter-cooler plumbing is "fully loaded", and saves the engine being goosed by a sudden "unexpected" throttle opening after which it takes a moment to think, seemingly, "do you really want to do this or are you just teasing me?" ;-) And this isn't turbo lag.

Following this, and the unspoken confirmation to "press on", the response is dramatic and I find most passes are over in mere seconds. Great for safety through limited exposure in the outside lane! Washing off the pace then becomes an issue, given the ridiculous attitudes to speed here.

During this stage one is often (and should be) spending more time evaluating traffic than monitoring gauges, as once initiated, there is grave risk of running over that which you intend to overtake if due care isn't taken, especially given an environment like Perth where some wally will pull out in front of you without warning, just as you commence your run.

There is nothing worse than spending moments setting up a run just right than to experience the frustrated anticipation brought on by a sudden change in conditions just as you come on-song.

It's a bit like firing a gun then trying to recall the bullet!
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 25-11-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Thanks for the replies. Yeah my car is stock.

Glad to hear that the lack of boost under 3000rpm in 1st gear is normal. I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with my car.

I normally short shift at around 2500rpm to 3000rpm so I would prefer more power at those engine speeds when I'm in 1st gear.

Hi Wesley.

My car is stock, and 1st and 2nd gear under 3,000 is pretty docile. Feels just like a Mazda 6, in fact. Between 3,000 & 5,250 is where all the fun is at the moment, but I'm looking at having the "fun zone" extended by doing a few intake and exhaust mods.
    As it is, changing gear at 3,250 keeps things in the sensible mode, changing at 4,500+ puts it in the fun zone.

I used to drive a V-tec Honda, and got very used to holding gears till 7,500. Not the thing to do in a 6!

Pete.

Yeah the MPS has killer mid range but runs out of puff pretty early. Does an intake, exhaust, and tune make a significant difference to how the car pulls above 5000rpm? My old XR8 was pretty weak (for a V8) below 3500rpm but hauled ass after that; the sudden kick at around 3500-4000rpm was very addictive. I could always bolt on a GT3071r but that will probably only happen in my dreams.

yes it does... it can make a huge difference
    i've only done a dump pipe, but here is the difference it made (at least on a dyno graph)
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/attac...er-dyno1-2.jpg
    intake, aftermarket intercooler and a good tune will go a long long way to improving torque across the range
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Normal............1st Gear is pretty short (when comparing with my previous ride) and you want to get out of it pretty quickly anyways!!! dont know why you would want/ need more boost!!!

I never haul it hard in 1st. With my set-up, I reckon I'd almost screw off the axles. It spools up so fast its easy to lose track of rpm, and I'd hardly say it is gentle or "like a stock Mazda 6" at any stage, except when I first get it moving in the 1000-1200rpm range, but that changes so fast you don't see it coming and it'd be easy to overcook the rpm, even with a DH alert set.

However, I'll normally roll in first, max 3500-4000 if in a hurry, then up-shift. Even in 2nd it has to be an emergency for me to push it. 3rd is the giant-killer, with a quick shift to 4th available if extending. The MPS6 torque curve is so strong and flat you don't need to rev it out anyway, but the breathing mods on mine give it a solid rush to 6000, with no running out of puff and it sounds great - a very angry grrrrrrr (I've never explored beyond that - simply no need). I'd like to hear it from outside but it's hard to be in two places at once!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18