User Tag List

Thread: MPS 3 First Mod Help

Default MPS 3 First Mod Help

Hi All

I am thinking of putting a Cold Air Intake (C.A.I) as my first mod in my new mazda, since I know nothing about cars, I htought that I could get some help.

if anyone could tell me what the CAI does, if there is a certain type I should get, and where are some good places to shop for one? Alsi, is it hard to install? Im wondering if i should take it to the dealer where i bought it and ask them to install it?

Also i have the factory issue rim, but would like to have them painted black? how do you go about doing that?

Thanks All!
    nitrongirl

2. Default

The CP-e CAI would be the way to go, No CEL easy to install & will give you a great induction noise.
    Were are you located

First mod =

Haha, just kidding! You have two options for modifying your intake really, a SRI or CAI. Myself, Toddy and Justin (off memory have) CAI's which you would have seen on the weekend. MPS garage is where I got most of my stuff from, as I see they recommend the CP-E unit, which is what I have on my MPS6. Not sure if you heard my car but induction noise will be almost identical.

What a CAI offers is, generally cooler air (as the name suggests). Toddy and I got results of air intake 1 degree above ambient temp. Also a modified filtration set-up offers a higher flow rate of air intake (due to enlarged surface diameter pipework and filter) and also less resistance for air movement as it draws through the filter.

I wouldn't take it to the dealer cause a) half the time they don't know what they're doing b) they'll charge a lot and c) they generally don't like modifying with after market parts. Can I recommend Zack at Cypher Industries (there are others) but I take my work to him. If you give him a call he should be able to help you out, just mention you're from ozMPS or you know Daniel or Andre.

Painted rims, see Alliance Rim Repairs you would be looking around $150 a rim, but yours have minimal damage so you might expect a slightly higher quote. Swing them an email or give them a ring to help you out.

Hope that helps

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

grab a cpe engine mount as well good bang for buck

Get good tyres. The standard ones 'tram track'. Much more pleasurable drive...