User Tag List

Thread: Upcoming Ecutek tune - advice

Default Upcoming Ecutek tune - advice

hey all,

I'm booked in to get an Ecutek tune o the 9th with a group down here in canberra called Ultimate Tunes - Ultimate Tunes

They have done the majority of my mods so far and always do a great job.

While I'm still learning the in's and out's of modifying etc. I am after some advice on specific do's and don'ts for tuning. I know these guys will know what they are on about and do a great tune but to ensure I don't have to revisit for more dyno time. What are some things I should make sure they do and don't do ???

i.e increase boost to ?? or don't touch boost
    remove 1st and 2nd gear restrictions (definitely !!!)

you get my drift, any advice would be great !!

I'm actually on the bus home now from dropping my car at Tunehouse to have this done.
    I totally left it in their hands to do what they see fit. This is what they do everyday, nobody better than the person tuning to make the call, they'll be able to see how the car reacts to different things.
    But from what I've been told, 17psi is about all you would want or need to go to. Good luck!

The main things I would want from a tune are;

Remove the limitations in 1st & 2nd
    Torque increase above 5500RPM, the torque curve drops off very sharply past this figure with a stock tune, if you can get the engine to keep its pulling power up to 6000RPM or beyond then that gives you even more useable torque, and peak power goes up significantly as well.

Incremental increases in power come naturally with a tune, but plugging those holes will make a bigger difference to how it drives than just a nominal power increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    I'm actually on the bus home now from dropping my car at Tunehouse to have this done.
    I totally left it in their hands to do what they see fit. This is what they do everyday, nobody better than the person tuning to make the call, they'll be able to see how the car reacts to different things.
    But from what I've been told, 17psi is about all you would want or need to go to. Good luck!
    dont want to hijack thread, but epic keen to see how this goes (and cost...)

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    The main things I would want from a tune are;

Remove the limitations in 1st & 2nd
    Torque increase above 5500RPM, the torque curve drops off very sharply past this figure with a stock tune, if you can get the engine to keep its pulling power up to 6000RPM or beyond then that gives you even more useable torque, and peak power goes up significantly as well.

Incremental increases in power come naturally with a tune, but plugging those holes will make a bigger difference to how it drives than just a nominal power increase.
    supposedly 18psi is do-able with the stock turbo... depends how much the owner/tuner wants to push it i guess
    but as reedy said evening out the curve past 5500 to 6000+ and removing 1st/2nd gear limiters are the big things (can ECUTEK do that?)
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

^yes it can do that.

The tuning also helps the mid and low rpm. u will find it pulls more even through the rev range, u will get a lot more mid swelling

remove restrictions for sure.

Personally would not boost over 17psi (that doesnt include the normal mps boost spike around 3k rpm)

While the mps turbo will boost to 18psi, I believe it is out of it efficiency range in the high revs at that pressure.

Ideal boost pressure is relative to other supporting mods , which in turn effect the turbos efficiency, i.e the stock IC drops 4psi at the throttle body, most aftermarket ICs only drop 2 psi, where you see 18psi at the manifold, on the stock IC the turbo is pushing 22 psi, aftermaket IC would be 20psi.
    Other factors to consider are intakes and downpipes, these reduce the load on the turbine / compressor wheels, once again, less load = greater efficiency, and as an added benefit a DP will also help reduce the EGT's, which in turn reduce the temp of the turbo housing allowing it to run cooler, less heatsoak of the charged air = greater efficiency.

Besides, tuning is about sooo much more than just boost pressure, a good tuner will achieve more power with less boost, than someone who will just turn up the wick and send you out the door.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

i like the idea, more power, less boost. Good rules to live by....hence, i will never change from my tuner.....arguably the best tuner in oz but 100% best in NSW..

You couldn't if you wanted to now. You would be in trouble from the other half

well mod's are fmic, cpe dp, sri, cpe rem so see what happens i guess !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    You couldn't if you wanted to now. You would be in trouble from the other half
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    well mod's are fmic, cpe dp, sri, cpe rem so see what happens i guess !!!
    I have the same mods. I have the MazdaEdit ECU tune and I pushed 191kw@(about) 5500rpm with 495nm@3000 on 17psi. I estimate roughly around those figures for you...
    Last edited by Grajy; 20-11-2010 at 05:40 PM.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;: