User Tag List

Thread: How do i access the ECU on my MPS 6?

Default How do i access the ECU on my MPS 6?

Hey all,

im sitting here with my Haltech interceptor, ready to go with my soldering iron... now i just gotta work out where and how to get to the ECU !

anyone got a link to some instructions? or maybe to a service manual??

I've never looked at my ECU but it's in the cabin, passenger side near the fuse box, may need to remove some trim to get at it.

Link here may help a bit

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...p-manuals.html

you have to pull up the carpet on the passenger side floor and remove steel floor panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    you have to pull up the carpet on the passenger side floor and remove steel floor panel.
    Any more info on this mate? abt detailed instructions on how to pull the carpet out?

Stanley knife.

Take the glove box out first to give your self some more room. there are a couple of clips holding the carpet down right on the edges that should come off easily and then just slowly pull the carpet back until you can see all the bolts (5 bolts with 10mm heads) on the steel floor plate. You might need to pull off the small panel that covers the fuse box on the side of the foot well if its stopping the carpet from pulling back.

when removing the floor plate you'll notice another small electrical box bolted to the under side. you'll need to disconnect this or unbolt it to remove the floor plate completely. then you should have a clear view of the ECU in its mount.

Hope that helps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7266.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	6416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3594426818_b3285c3920.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	6417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7265.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	6415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3593615139_930c15090a.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	6418

RAYD - Hi. Take account of Toddy's comments plus following:

Be careful of that "small electrical box". It is the small black square one in the attached pics and controls the ABS. It must be remounted in the same attitude as you find it. Attd some photos of the underfloor area.

The ECU is the large silver box on the RHS of the pics.

Be careful of the tiny plug connections too, as they break easily, so be kind to the plugs when you are mating stuff in. Don't stick in lots of heat with that soldering iron either.

My pics show the removed underfloor plate (a false floor under the pax mat). You will see three spot welded captive bolts (flat faces) in the upper surface of that plate. These secure the ABS controller in a small metal clip under the false floor. You have to pull the plug out of it carefully before you can lift and remove the floor. I will see if I can get some .pdf instructions from my Standback installation to you if you PM me your address.

- Pic #1 shows the initial Standback - PNP layout with all my leads in protective spiral wrap as it is a tight fit under there and I wanted to eliminate any chance of chafe.
    - Pic #2 shoes what the false floor plate looks like in position.
    - Pic #3 shows the false floor plate as removed.
    - Pic # 4 shows the ECU and the ABS controller as you find them after the floor has been removed and the ABS moved from the plate but still in its pressed steel cradle under the floor plate but the ECU still in its cradle. All the bolts and nuts are 10mm.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 18-11-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    Take the glove box out first to give your self some more room. there are a couple of clips holding the carpet down right on the edges that should come off easily and then just slowly pull the carpet back until you can see all the bolts (5 bolts with 10mm heads) on the steel floor plate. You might need to pull off the small panel that covers the fuse box on the side of the foot well if its stopping the carpet from pulling back.

when removing the floor plate you'll notice another small electrical box bolted to the under side. you'll need to disconnect this or unbolt it to remove the floor plate completely. then you should have a clear view of the ECU in its mount.

Hope that helps
    RAYD - Hi. Take account of Toddy's comments plus following:

Be careful of that "small electrical box". It is the small black square one in the attached pics and controls the ABS. It must be remounted in the same attitude as you find it. Attd some photos of the underfloor area.

The ECU is the large silver box on the RHS of the pics.

Be careful of the tiny plug connections too, as they break easily, so be kind to the plugs when you are mating stuff in. Don't stick in lots of heat with that soldering iron either.

My pics show the removed underfloor plate (a false floor under the pax mat). You will see three spot welded captive bolts (flat faces) in the upper surface of that plate. These secure the ABS controller in a small metal clip under the false floor. You have to pull the plug out of it carefully before you can lift and remove the floor. I will see if I can get some .pdf instructions from my Standback installation to you if you PM me your address.

- Pic #1 shows the initial Standback - PNP layout with all my leads in protective spiral wrap as it is a tight fit under there and I wanted to eliminate any chance of chafe.
    - Pic #2 shoes what the false floor plate looks like in position.
    - Pic #3 shows the false floor plate as removed.
    - Pic # 4 shows the ECU and the ABS controller as you find them after the floor has been removed and the ABS moved from the plate but still in its pressed steel cradle under the floor plate but the ECU still in its cradle. All the bolts and nuts are 10mm.

Hope this helps

LEGENDS! will try this friday arvo i think

thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by Rayd; 18-11-2010 at 05:23 PM.

RAYD strongly recommend you PM me for the full access instructions before you take a spanner to it - there are some details which will make your life easier. I can't publish here as it will potentially breach copyright.