User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wat tyre would you recomdend

Hi all, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm about to replace the original RE001 (38000ks) and I'm looking at either the KU36 or RT615's, now both of these are known as a summer tyre.What exactly does this mean? ie. If I drive out of my driveway first thing in the morning and drive 100m to the next corner, what will allow me to go around the corner faster? The bridgestones (which most people bag) or my cold 'summer tyres'? Also at the first sign of snow are my summer tyres if driving at anything other than camry normal* ,will I go skidding off into the sceanery at the first possible instance? Finally how long before my summer tyres are warm and will perform to there peak performance? Alot of questions I know but I haven't had to buy any new tyres in about 6 years and this 'summer tyre' is new to me so I thought I would pose the questions to members who may of owned them before. Many thanks in advance.
    *No offence is meant to the biege cardigan wearing brigade

Summer is what the europeans class as a summer a tyre I believe. Once they don't work in freezing conditions.

I have ku36 and they are awesome in many ways as long as you build heat in them before hard use.

The wear rating is classed at 18,000km but if you drove hard be lucky to get 15,000 or approx 1 year.

My 2 cents

BnVMPS - Recommend you check all the threads here. Also visit Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and do your own comparisons. The test reviews are good. If you are in Australia, stick with max performance summer tyres, unless you are in snow and ice more than is usual, such as going skiing - just my opinion - but my Sumitomos remain great in the wet too. I'd forget about trying to warm up your tyres. If you are in urban conditions, then I doubt they'll get warm enough to matter. Longer runs on hot days will warm your tyres up more than you want anyway. That's why you get summer tyres, as they tend not to delaminate and blow from heat stress, and can handle higher speeds without overheating to a critical point. Winter tyres not only have different compounds but also usually more water removal pathways.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 11-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12