User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clicking sound from right hand side wheel...

Default Clicking sound from right hand side wheel...

Hi

I've recently started hearing more of a clicking sound when accelerating off the lights or backing off the throttle, it was more evident since the drive at the Reefton/Black Spur cruise and it has gotten a little bit louder.

Been thinking that it could be CV joint or perhaps something in the hub???

anyone else on here has experienced the same???

Thought I'd check before I start jacking up the car and taking the wheel off.

Thanks is advance...

Alex

I have experienced the same noise, can I ask if you get the same noise

a) turning on the spot
    b) altering direction (turning) at slow speed, left, right, left, right?

Alex, remind me before the dyno day, and I'll bring tools to check your driveshaft nuts for you.

I get a rather loud knocking sound when I am at full lock. Is very evident in parking lots.

Sounds alot like CV joint, could be bearings too. Jack the front up and jiggle ya wheels, any movement is bad movement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    Hi

I've recently started hearing more of a clicking sound when accelerating off the lights or backing off the throttle, it was more evident since the drive at the Reefton/Black Spur cruise and it has gotten a little bit louder.

Been thinking that it could be CV joint or perhaps something in the hub???

anyone else on here has experienced the same???

Thought I'd check before I start jacking up the car and taking the wheel off.

Thanks is advance...

Alex
    Or a slip-stick in the wheel hub assembly. There was, I think, an advisory on this, that suggested greasing/anti-sieze the wheel hub. Worked but came back for me. If persist it mentioned cleaning some surfaces by lapping them...I'm not sure of the details, but I think I've got same noise.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Might sound silly but check your wheel weights if they are stick on.
    I had a clicking noise on my old car, drove me nuts for ages, turned out to be a weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Or a slip-stick in the wheel hub assembly. There was, I think, an advisory on this, that suggested greasing/anti-sieze the wheel hub. Worked but came back for me. If persist it mentioned cleaning some surfaces by lapping them...I'm not sure of the details, but I think I've got same noise.
    What he said! I've had this issue.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

^^^ would a wire wheel at the end of a drill work fine for this???

I haven't gotten around to doing it but I have some free time tonight so I think I may as well get onto it, it is driving me crazy!

Hey Alex what did we find out it was at the Dyno day???

Is yours like as you accelrate harder is clicks more, then once you back off it clicks again... Also if you reverse up a hill does it do it???

Just asking cause you wouldn't believe what just started happening in my car after the dyno day lol.

Grey Alex (premHK) was saying that it is the away bar links on the front moving under acceleration and making that clicking.

I'm yet to have a look underneath and see what is going on, was too busy yesterday fitting Cusco Swaybars on my mates IS250 lol

I've heard of some loose sway bars doing this under torsional stress (ie turning corners). Haven't heard it under linear acceleration/deceleration stress though.

Not saying it's not possible, but sway bars are torsional devices meant to dampen attempts to twist the chassis (ie hard cornering), so they're going to complain the most in corners

To me it sounds weight-transfer related.
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 22-11-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
    ^^^ would a wire wheel at the end of a drill work fine for this???

I haven't gotten around to doing it but I have some free time tonight so I think I may as well get onto it, it is driving me crazy!
    Fine grain sandpaper was suggested by the advisory. Must find it; there was a specific grade suggested. I'd be worried about scoring the surface with a wire brush.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

14. Default

I had the same issue. When i accelerate in 1st and 2nd.. i can hear it.. after that.. not really. when when i downshift.. from 3rd to 2nd.. and 2nd to 1st.. i can hear it to.. also, when i reverse, i got the noise.

Its the driveshaft. They're fine. they just need to be lubricated. Mazda did my right side.. and then the left side started doing the same thing.. so i took wheel, the caliper and brake disc.. and behind the hub, theres a gap.. i sprayed a shitload of silicon spray into the gap and kept rotating the driveshaft by hand.. Noise was gone after that =)

Its been 6 months since..
    Last edited by Dark Authority; 22-11-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks Nexus, if you can find it and post up on here that would be great!

Caff, I was thinking the same thing but the sway may also move when the struts expand and the control arms move down from the weight transition to the back of the car and the front lifting.

The links have a hip like arrangement where the stud going through the eyelet on the bar is pressed into a greased up cup with a dust boot. It could be that the angle of the stud changes when the bar moves, and if there is something wrong inside the cup it may be enough to cause that sound.

My first thought were CV joint or perhaps something in the hub, but now when I think about it the above also makes sense too!

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Authority View Post
    I had the same issue. Its the driveshaft. They're fine. they just need to be lubricated. Mazda did my right side.. and then the left side started doing the same thing.. so i took wheel, the caliper and brake disc.. and behind the hub, theres a gap.. i sprayed a shitload of silicon spray into the gap and kept rotating the driveshaft by hand.. Noise was gone after that =)
    Oh snap just when I posted the above this pops up! lol

Yeah it sounds like it could be much more Drive Shaft related than S-bar links.

Wonder how much Mazda would charge me for just doing that, it does need a service soon but I was aiming on doing it my self

16. Default

The proper way to do it is the remove the driveshaft and clean/relubricate it and put it back.. Mazda did it for me under warranty around a year ago.

I'd say take it to a local mechanic and get him to do it [make sure you buy a new driveshaft bolt when its done]

I was told by the foreman @ John Newell mazda [dont trust the desk guys or the apprentice mechs] and he said its a common problem in mazdas. Every now and then, u get one come in with that issue.

Alex i'm about 3500 away from 60,000km service i was thinking of taking it to HP-F and getting a performance service... On saturday they told me was about 285ish including sparks and castrol oil...

When im due im going to say dw about plugs, and ill byo oil to save some coin and ask them to look at the all the links and driveshafts.

Apart from this Clicking/Squeaking noise the car is perfect.

If you do a MazdaEdit tune there soon they might throw in service for free .
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Was thinking on looking into this my self, not too hard to get the shaft out, have done it numerous times on FWD cars in the past, I would just like to know which section needs to be lubed up???

is it the spline end of the shaft as it goes into the hub, or do is it the actual CV it's self??? I've got a breaker bar and all tools to take it out, heck I might even change the Gearbox Oil while I'm at it since it's one of things on my "To Do" list.

IMO HPF service sounds good, but I can save all that cash and do it my self, Oil, filter and plus is easy, I just haven't had the time to get around to doing it all.

19. Default

I think its just the end of the shaft that goes into the hub. It just needs to be cleaned up and regreased =)

I'll probably do mine properly in december when im completely free

I have dropped the car at Brighton Mazda for them to have a look, they tell me even tho the car has a few weeks left in it's warranty such thing wont be covered as there may be a charge for them to inspect and potentially pull out the drive shaft and lubricate it.

They also tell me that it's the first time they have heard of such thing....

Worst case I'll just let them tell me what they have pin pointed out and then try fix it my self, when I've finish the new dog kennel, and the garden oh and arranging the garage.....

Been way to busy to have a look!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast