User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 Transfer case oil leak

Default MPS 6 Transfer case oil leak

Hi all,
    At my last service (40,000km) I alerted the service department at my Mazda dealer to a possible gearbox oil leak, as you can smell gearbox oil through the vents when on outside air. Upon collecting my car was informed that there is a very small oil leak from the transfer case seal and they would have to 1) contact Mazda to see if they can fix it (assuming covering warranty labour) and 2) order the parts.

Well today I received a call (1 month later) saying the parts are in and they can replace the seal, but they need my car for a full week (ouch) fortunately I am away for work soon and booked it in to be done during this time. They did offer a loan car for the week for only $30 (daily charge)

My question to other MPS 6 owners/past owners is, has this problem occurred on your ride and if so did you get it fixed? how long did it take? and where they any issues post repairs?
    Thanks all
    Chris

Blog Entries

Yes, I had this recently. They ended up replacing the entire transfer box under warranty - $6500 worth of parts alone. They had the car for 2 days... and they don't charge me for a loan car either. If they tried I'd have something to say... . But I did buy the car from them and it's always been back there.

blakehh Guest

thats insane

I had a leak on the extension housing of the transfer case on my 6MPS. Was picked up at the 40,000km service, and was booked in 2 weeks later for the repair. They had the car for a full day. It was covered by warranty. The invoice they gave me showed a cost of $440. This was mostly labour charges. This included a wheel alignment, so they have to dig pretty deep to fix the problem. According to the invoice they removed front A frame, control arms and steering rack to access the transfer case.

They didnt replace the whole transfer case like in Swallowtail's case - the leak on my car was apparently caused by ' a lack of sealant on mating surfaces', so they just cleaned the surfaces and resealed.

Ive had no issues since the repair. A mate of mine also had this problem.

Hey all, Picked up my beast on Saturday from the sales guys at Mazda as the workshop guys had left for the day, so couldn't get an invoice or ask anyone what they'd done. However the leak is all fixed and what's even more interesting is I had a constant vibration (like worn diff bearings) at a cruising speed in 6th since the car was new and this has now dissapeared - completely. There was also some vibration under hard accelaration in first and now this has gone too!!! My faith has been restored in this service department. I'll try and get some detail on the work performed.