User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help choosing rims for a black 07 3MPS

Yes it doesn't compare but still doesn't mean I'm a newbie P plater that doesn't have a bloody clue on how to check his oil or pump his tyres, heck I've even had a so called experienced mechanics strip the sh*t out of my wheel studs when bolting the wheels back on while doing a RWC, another one also was trying to suck big bucks out of me, by telling me I needed a whole new steering rack, when in reality all I did was replace the tie rod which I did my self, took it back and he had no choice but to pass it. I think that is part of the reason as to why I gave up with that trade, too many Mr know it alls and too many mechanics trying to get me to do doggy work....

Vehicle manufacturers obviously specified the offset they have to be comply with ADRs, and it is the optimum setting to work together with the design and geometry of the suspension and components, but also remember that the Mazda 3 is sold in other countries where the 25mm track rule is different, it is only applicable to us here in Australia.

Don't see why so much hate for wider wheels when even the late Peter Brock used to mention in his later days that back in the 70s and 80s wider wheels with lower offset was needed to be able to fit wider tyres for more grip.

Like I said I'm now down for keyboard wars on any forum...

Now to go back on topic; Igor just bolt up some 18x8.5 +45 or +48 and call it a day...

THREAD CLOSED!

I'm now going to unsubscribe from this thread and let the kid decide what he would like to run on his car...

Again, with the race car theory.......
    FACT and you can practically test it and theoretically test it. WIDE TYRES DO NOT GIVE MORE GRIP
    *now putting flame suit on expecting arguments*
    Race cars however, different story. They run slicks, can't compare to road cars tyres.
    And not once has anybody said not to run wide wheels. We say DON'T use significantly lower offset than standard if you actually want to use and enjoy your car.

Funny though that after all the discussion and arguments about low offsets, it all comes back to +48 (very close to standard) is the ideal offset with wider wheels

This thread has obviously gone way too far, agree to disagree.
    The world will not blow up if the OP doesnt want his wheels to look like hubcaps and runs more offset. It may put more strain on certain parts. But will his wheel overtake him whilst driving down a freeway, I highly doubt it.
    I'm done here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    This thread has obviously gone way too far, agree to disagree.
    The world will not blow up if the OP doesnt want his wheels to look like hubcaps and runs more offset. It may put more strain on certain parts. But will his wheel overtake him whilst driving down a freeway, I highly doubt it.
    I'm done here.
    this ^
    the amount of bickering that's gone on here is quite silly...

ontopic: the first ones are my choice
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Blog Entries

My 2c - green good, orange getting borderline in some way, red is on the legal limit in QLD. underlined red is not legal.
    Going wide? Roll gaurds. It's a must, really. Following considers how much rolling and clearance you think think about.

I found three piece wheels were going to be the way to get a good bit wider and still have offsets appropriate (not considering what it looks like etc - what fits and loads appropriately)

18x7.5 +35, +40, +42, +45, +48, +50, +52 : AOK
    18x8 +45 +48 +50 +52
    18x8.5 +37 +45 +48 +50 +52
    18x9 Why?

What's Ideal?
    18x7.5 +48, +50
    18x8 +48, +50
    19x7.5 +48, +50
    19x8 +48,+50,+52

In my opinion...I ended up choosing a fitment first and then shopping for a wheel that meets that fitment...
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Seriously ???
    Mate 3 years hardly compares to 30years experience.
    That's just stupid to compare.
    I've had 10 years experience in the trade and the ONLY wheelstud problem I've seen are on either really old cars where they have rusted or on cars with aftermarket wheels

The problem is with most modifiers is that they don't see the long term effects on cars.
    Just because something doesn't go wrong right away doesn't mean it's not going to.

I don't care what people may think. But things are done for a reason.
    There is a reason why Mazda chose the offset they do, just like every car company.
    And there is a reason why ADR made the rule that track width can't be increased by more than 25mm.

I think the comments were made by RD415 not to criticize but to inform and educate

By the way, drift cars were also mentioned. So that's 2 race car references. "funny that"
    Agree with that we are just tryn to help, that mazda have choosen the wheels they did for a reason. with offset u need to change spring rate, damper. But whats not seen is the stress on wheelhubs and other parts of the drive train. Man 3 years is not a lot 'Not having a go at u' there are guys here that have had a lot of experience wish i could do half of what they do and know. personally i'v had 16 years serious modding many rebuilds. This datsun sounds interesting i love them, cant wait to see what it turns out like
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

im running ADVAN RS 18x8 +45 offset i have slightly flared and rolled rear guards and i still scrub over speeedbumps with 235 tyres

there is a definate improvement in handling and grip however at the cost of inside tyre wear for me

dont go to agressive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123