User Tag List

Thread: Sporattic boost gauge behaviour

Default Sporattic boost gauge behaviour

hey guys

installed a boost gauge, autometer mechanical one

I used rubber small fuel hose to get into the car, T piece in the BOV line n all that

once it gets to the gauge i had to use the plastic tube due to the conenctor supplied so i used a bit of that and pushed it inside the black line i ran, its real tigjt

weird thing is when its makin boost, the needle holds its pressure but really rapidly moves back n forth say .5 psi each way really quick

performance shop reckons its just the gate controlling boost

a small clip is below
    http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=ac3f35e3.mp4

Any opinions?
    Last edited by buzurk; 05-11-2010 at 01:27 PM.

I have heard of this occuring before, although I never had any issues with my mechanical boost gauge when I was using it, did you use the Autometer t piece, or a generic one, I believe this has quite a bit to do with it, as the autometer one has a small brass pill in the outlet that goes off to the gauge, I think this helps regulate the pressure variations, resulting in cleaner readings.
    I would also suggest using the autometer nylon tubing as well, you can buy longer hose kits if required.

I had a similar issue when i installed a mechanical boost gauge exactly the same way you have. it would be fine but once i hit max boost it would start to jump around.

I fixed it by buying an electric gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    I had a similar issue when i installed a mechanical boost gauge exactly the same way you have. it would be fine but once i hit max boost it would start to jump around.

I fixed it by buying an electric gauge
    ^ lol @ fix. I have a defi gauge and when it hits max boost it bounces off the max psi due to being limited in the first 3 gears. other gears its fine.

Just watched the video, mine does that but like i said only first 3 gears which I think its limited to 13psi or something? what gear was that video in?

I might change where its tapped into
    can anyone else recommend a spot other than the boost gauge line

You can tap into the brake booster line (as per attached pic), this will give you a much more stable reading on your gauge, I believe the line is 3/8", I was running my gauge off here for a while, but you need to be mindful of heat though as its sitting around that whole exhaust / turbo area, there is a large grommet located in the firewall not far from this location that you can run the line through, it enters the cabin just behind the glove box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mazda3-MPS-engine.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	6314
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

are there any saftey issues with that? I mean if you get a vacuum leak there, what will happen....

Brake pedal gets hard to push in, but the engine will run like a dog due to the air leak before you notice the pedal issues, besides if you do the job properly with quality hose clamps etc there shouldn't be any issues.