User Tag List

Thread: engine mount squeaking!!!

Default engine mount squeaking!!!

Hi guys,

I've lately noticed one of my engine mounts squeaking more and more when shutting down, I read on somewhere that the rear mount is to blame for drying out and causing these sort of noises, also read that spraying it with a bit of the good ol WD40 could help.

I got onto it last night with the WD40 and while I had the car on stands, I tested it out and the sounds had totally gone!

Took if for a drive to my mates house which would be roughly 10-15kms and when I pulled up it was still all sweet. Was there for a few hours till I decided to get back home, drove into the garage and thought I'd see if I could hear it (once again shutting down the engine) and what do you know.... The bloody squeaking came back!!!

Now I'm not sure if I should follow this further and try to fix the problem, or give up and live with it, other only option is to replace the engine mount with either a dog bone or a 60 or even 75 duro item....

I've heard great things about this mod, and since the Aus $$$ is so good atm should I just do it???

Keep in mind it is a daily but I don't mind a bit of harshness, I've owned an Integra in the past with mount inserts and that vibrated heavily, so even if I get a few vives I'm sure I can live with that.

cheers!

Alex

yes go the cpe engine mount from mps garage. I too am buying one ($RRP 190) from mps garage. But I hear the 60 duro is better as 75 just too harsh. I have same prob Alex hehe.

I think you'll find that the squeak your describing is coming from the donught gaskets on the exhaust, its a pretty common thing, although I still recommend an aftermarket rear mount none the less, which may also help reduce engine movement, hence reducing the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by premhk View Post
    yes go the cpe engine mount from mps garage. I too am buying one ($RRP 190) from mps garage. But I hear the 60 duro is better as 75 just too harsh. I have same prob Alex hehe.
    The 75 is fine, just takes a while to settle down, mine is only really noticeable when the AC is on, just get some minor vibes at idle.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

True, and you can pay for it with all the silver you recover as your fillings fall from your teeth.

Corksport mount inserts are a good option as well, only $50, you'd be mad not to get at least them. The CPE mounts are the next step up but you get most of the noticable benefits from just the inserts.

I have a similar squeaking noise, must be a True Red thing lol... Does yours do it when going on and of the accelerator? And releasing of the clutch? I think mine has got a lot worse cause now it does it over bumpy surfaces and when going up hill ...

Does it sound like the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    True, and you can pay for it with all the silver you recover as your fillings fall from your teeth.
    What if you've got false ones Matt....

Another common squeak is the handbrake cable.

Try leaving the car in gear (when its off and not on a hill obviously) and getting out of the car without the handbrake on.

My car will squeak with the handbrake up, but if its off there is no squeak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I have a similar squeaking noise, must be a True Red thing lol... Does yours do it when going on and of the accelerator? And releasing of the clutch? I think mine has got a lot worse cause now it does it over bumpy surfaces and when going up hill ...

Does it sound like the same problem?
    Yeah it does it when turning the engine off and when taking off, i.e. lifting off the clutch.... I get to hear it more when I'm at the shopping center car park with the window fully down.

I haven't paid attention to the handbrake being on or off, but spraying the mount did help for a little while, may just end up with the 75 since most of the time it's just me in the car and I also plan on hitting the track a few times and will be getting it to put out more power and torque, with a Hypertech flash, CPE CAI and perhaps exhaust and a FMIC. So imo the 75 will get the job done.

The inserts ain't a bad idea either, I used to have some on my old Teg, I think energy suspension in the states make them, it also being a FWD I noticed the wheel hop and gear shifts feel better once they were fitted.

*edit*

Isn't the CPE mount from MPS garage cheaper if purchased straight from the US??? I swear I have seen it cheaper elsewhere....

Red Al....

I've noticed that the side mounts don't seem to have that much meat from factory, they should have made them a bit beefier imo....
    Last edited by Malicioso; 05-11-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post

Isn't the CPE mount from MPS garage cheaper if purchased straight from the US??? I swear I have seen it cheaper elsewhere....
    Much cheaper if purchased from the US (more so now with the strength of our dollar), only problem is that no shops are allowed to sell cp-e to Australia due to MPS garages vendor agreement with them, the only way to get around this is either by using a freight forwarding company, or if you have friends or family over there.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Yep i have a cousin in Houston that would be more than willing to help out.

Just got to get in touch with him and organize something....

I found the corksport inserts work well . thats what mi running

id go for the CPE 60 as well, I think thats what I fitted for mech81 (or it may have been the 70) a while back now and even at first fitment the vibes weren't bad

but i run a TRZ Delrin so anything is softer less "vibratey" compared to that.

maybe look at getting shifter bushings as well to tidy up shifting a bit more