User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lowering a mps6?

I used to have some, sold them to Penguin740, Toddy22587 and Rogwick have kings. From memory I think I got mine installed with 4 wheel alignment for $530 I'd shop around before paying $300 for them!

King springs were fairly decent for the money, they're good if I didn't want to spend alot!

I got the Kings off Shakepeare and I still have them in. I do like the King Springs. It lowers the car about 30mm which gives it a nice look on the road. Handling wise it decreases the rear end squat on hard take-off but doesn't elliminate it. Corner handling I didn't notice much of a difference.

I liked the Kings but ended up getting new dampers (Bilstein's) after I noticed the stock dampers getting choppy. Not sure if the lowering caused an early death to the dampers, or if it was the 100k on the clock. Probably a bit of both.

I am definitely happy with the ride now that I have the kings and bilstein combo. The springs are a cheap mod, and make a moderate difference. Add the Bilsteins later when funds are available and they are a good match.

Good luck with it.
    Red '05 6MPS.

As shakespeare said they're a good value for money mod. I have them and would never go back to stock. The install is easy if you have the right tools and want to do it your self

+1 to comments above. Eibachs are also good springs yet more expensive and I think the ride height it slightly higher too.
    Toddy and I talk a little on ground clearance here if you want to know diy-front-lip-mazda-6-mps-rubber-garage-door-seal-type

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    +1 to comments above. Eibachs are also good springs yet more expensive and I think the ride height it slightly higher too.
    Toddy and I talk a little on ground clearance here if you want to know diy-front-lip-mazda-6-mps-rubber-garage-door-seal-type
    Also kmh001 has H&R springs and Bilstein dampers, I believe the HR's with the Bilsteins provide a lower ride height than the Kings on stock dampers! From his feedback I believe this would likely be the best combo for the MPS 6 in terms of the balance between ride and handling.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Yeah, depends on how low you want it mate and if it will effect where you take your car. Some say coilover-set-up is great, but as a daily on bumper roads is annoying and also prone to hitting things. In any case, king springs, as a minimum and cheap upgrade will make the world of difference. Just need to decide if you're happy with that or want more!

7. Default

yea thanks for that guys, i think ill go with the king springs and bilsteins shocks. ill shop around, do my research and let you all know how i go.

8. Default

mark,

stable suspension on research rd are doing my mps 6 either this week or next. Supply and fittment of Eibach springs, 30mm lower than standard and a 4wheel wheel alignment for $550. was contacted last week about a muck up in ordering so there will be 2 full set of springs arriving instead of 1 so it might pay to give them a call if your interested.

regards Adrian ( aka mr_rx4)

I installed those exact kingsprings about 6 months ago and have been very happy with the look and feel
    Ride quality is almost the same and the boat nose lift on take off has been reduced a lot!
    I installed mine myself, was not too hard as there is a really good DIY write up to follow, as you are in to restoring cars you would have no trouble doing it.
    At the cruise you can see the ride height of the Kingsprings will be too see ya then mate!

10. Default

thanks guys, ive ordered king springs. i notice that my seal panel doesnt sit parallel to the ground. it kinda sits a tad higher at the rear? i want the car looking level as i can get it. if this means taking 1/4 to 1/2 a coil off the rear springs i will

pics will be uploaded as soon as they are in..

mps6's dont have any self levelling control i have to worry about do they?
    if anyone knows of any old mazdas, toranas, holdens, fords etc. PM me. i am always intersted in restoring old cars.

Quote Originally Posted by markrx3 View Post
    The low beam headlights have self levelling xenons fitted, from what I understand that unless you've really slammed the car they should be ok, I had mine 40mm lower and the front and the headlights still seemed to point in the right direction!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by markrx3 View Post
    thanks guys, ive ordered king springs. i notice that my seal panel doesnt sit parallel to the ground. it kinda sits a tad higher at the rear? i want the car looking level as i can get it. if this means taking 1/4 to 1/2 a coil off the rear springs i will

pics will be uploaded as soon as they are in..

Using the same springs as you are getting I can just get 2 fingers between the front guard and top of the wheel, and 1 finger between the rear guard and wheel.

A small tip is when fitting them, cut the bottom bump off the yellow (bee hive looking thing) bump stop at the rear, easy to leave in its mount and cut it with a saw

Here is what height you should expect

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good post Mark, yep that's pretty much the ride height and description. The pic is a pretty good representation. The rear end does appear lower than the front but I wouldn't want to go much lower due to hitting or scraping, which I get occasionally on my King Spring setup. Just for another reference, here's my ride on King Springs (low) notice the front and rear appear relatively even, hope that helps. (Sorry, bad pic, far away, only side shot I have handy)

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

14. Default

sweet thanks.

15. Default

lowered the rear of the MPS using the king springs, KMFL-25HD and KMRL-26SL and the rear doent have seemed to have changed at all really? i have only done the rear as i can still fit 2 fingers eeeeasily between the tyre and the top guard?

It won't change much, give it time for the weight of the vehicle to settle, maybe a couple of days for the springs to get used to the load. Should look similar to mine after. How does the drive compare (body roll)

17. Default

ok, update, i done the front also and after driving about 50kms on it last night it has settled, fewwww......

im flat out this week but hopefully on saturday ill get to upload some pics....

Cool, yeah you need to give it some time to settle a little. Post installation of Kings Springs, the rear will drop more than the front (wheel to guard spacing) How you finding the ride now, a little stiffer?
    Yeah post some pics, some before and after if you got them.

19. Default

yea ill post some pics before and after. not the best before shots but ok i guess...

the rides pretty much the same. a litttttle bumpier nothing much tho. handling is alot better throughout the cornering, i am finding now when i hit a pot hole etc it doesnt kinda want to pull me into the hole so to speak,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast