User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Fuel consumption

My fuel comsumption has improved greatly since Im not flooring it all the time anymore together with slow get aways and gear changes before hiting 3000rpm.

Well just the other day i got 590 out of 48 litres and 720 out of 63 litres. Thats on the highway, so that give fuel economy at just over 8.1l/100.

Funny though that my trip computer says i get 7.6-7.7l/100km, it's off by nearly 1/2 a litre/100 km!!!

Around town i still get under 10l/100km. But i took my new beastie for a fang up yarraman range and got 25l/100km when i reset it for the climb.

Shes only 6000km old so it will keep getting better i hope.

Cheers shibbs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    5. Way too many variables unless economy is tested accurately. Even the trip computer on my MPS6 not accurate as it shows zero fuel useage when car not moving - it must be using fuel or it would stop
    The l/100k fuel economy is calculated from various other measurements

(1) specific gravity of the fuel, the fuel/air ratio, mass airflow are used to calculate Litres per hour L/h.

(2) Take the vehicle speed (km/h) and divide by flow (L/h) = Km/L

(3) Take 100Km and divide by Km/L = L/100Km

As the speed approaches zero, calculation 2 + 3
    (2) breaks down, becomes less and less real-world accurate until at zero Km/h, calculation gives a 0Km/L - correct awnser, but useless. when we try to convert that to L/100K we get an undefined result that computer replaces with a zero.
    Last edited by Nexus; 21-11-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Sorry to dig up an old post but i think it's worth mentioning.

My dad just drove my MPS to sydney from brisbane.....

800 km from ONE tank!!!!! That's insane right?? I can't believe that, soo proud of my car

That's great going!

My MPS series 2 average to date is 10.1L/100km, with a best of 8.3L/100km.

If I could average 8.3L/100km for a whole 60L tank it would be 723km ... so your dad has done very well. I have no doubt that you could get that type of result, especially once you are at Coffs Harbour where there is dual carriage way most the way back to Sydney. That is a very economical drive from Coffs to Sydney

Port Macquarie to Sydney I was able to average:
    7.8L/100km in Liberty 3.0R (earlier this year)
    7.4L/100km in a VZ Acclaim I had back in 2004
    11.2L/100km in a Discovery Series 2 V8 in 2001
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

Excellent fuel reports going on guys!

My last tank- vpower. Mps6
    9.46L per 100kms!! That's hills, suburban and city driving. No highway or country trips!
    634kms to 60L. I actaully ran out of fuel... Woops lol.
    Computer said 9.4. Wow it was actaully accurate for once lol

If anyone wants to no my driving style let me know,
    it doesn't always consist of granny driving to achive these sorts of results.
    Last edited by nissanman; 04-12-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MPShiv View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old post but i think it's worth mentioning.

My dad just drove my MPS to sydney from brisbane.....

800 km from ONE tank!!!!! That's insane right?? I can't believe that, soo proud of my car
    This amazing highway consumption is thanks to lean cruise mode. In highway cruising type circumstances with steady load, the ECU leans things out as much as it can. The more highway you are doing in a run, the more finely it tunes this mode and if you are doing highway only it can give amazing results.

If you have a dashhawk or similar it might be interesting to observe the spark advance and fuel flow etc over a long trip. I haven't had an opportunity to do this myself yet.

Great for economy, bad for detonation (once you want to give it curry)

9. Default

My fuel economy seems to be attrocious by comparison.
    MPS6 running of BP ulitmate 98
    ~ 16 L/100k
    Is this normal?

I drive mostly short trips and do give it the odd fang but i would have thought i would be getting better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    My fuel economy seems to be attrocious by comparison.
    MPS6 running of BP ulitmate 98
    ~ 16 L/100k
    Is this normal?

I drive mostly short trips and do give it the odd fang but i would have thought i would be getting better than that.
    have you got any mods ?
    M P S - 3 - | K&N Filter | AEM CAI | CES Racing TIP | CES Racing Dumppipe | CES Racing 3" Stainless Exhaust | | 200CEL CAT | Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers | JBR REM | Painted Badges | COBB AP Stage 2 | JBR Heavy Gear Shit | FMIC |

11. Default

No mods, completely stock.

Whats the best way to go about tackling poor fuel consumption?
    I replaced the spark plugs recently and oil/filter change about 4k ago.
    Last time i checked, the air filter was looking fine.
    I also ran a tank of fuel system cleaner recently (although I am aware its not particularly useful on DI engines) and did an ECU reset.
    Last edited by discodave; 30-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.

16L is definitely not normal. Usually get around near 12L (50% traffic jam 50% of others)

U can try to clean the maf. Or.....u might be running lean where the engine will add more fuel to compensate, which mean more consumption?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

13. Default

Thanks for the advice lovecolt.
    Just cleaned the MAF/IAT, replaced the air filter and ran a can of the nulon foaming intake cleaner.
    I have also reset the ECU and will see if any of this makes a difference.
    If not i may consider cleaning the intake valves (which seems to be a pretty pain in the arse job from the how-to's I've seen), unless anyone has any other suggestions?

I usually average around 8.2 L/100km, 60/40 mix of highway and city driving.

Filled up down the coast yesterday for the cruise back to my place, cruise control set at 110, all highway driving and the trip computer says 6.6 L/100km. Average speed 80 something.

Might have to do my own manual calculations to verify that.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDr View Post
    I usually average around 8.2 L/100km, 60/40 mix of highway and city driving.

Filled up down the coast yesterday for the cruise back to my place, cruise control set at 110, all highway driving and the trip computer says 6.6 L/100km. Average speed 80 something.

Might have to do my own manual calculations to verify that.
    I have a spreadsheet tracking my fuel consumption since I've owned the car. The car's fuel consumption tracker is generally underestimating the fuel consumption by 1L/100km since I've owned it. I average about 10.3L/100km going off my spreadsheet, the car says I'm 9.5L/100km.

I used to use an app on my phone called fuel friend for my previous car, but for this car I started using Fuely. I've found it pretty good because it connects online and you can view it all through there, but can also put in the info at the pump when you fill up with your phone.
    Got all the usual stats etc also so that's good. I've averaged 9.9L/100km so far, but that's been about 50% fanging it and 50% highway. It'll hopefully even out and get a little more accurate as I settle down into normal life lol
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

17. Default

I usually get 420kms, fuel light comes on at 380-400.
    I fill up 45-47L every time with BP ultimate. Have used shell v-power and got the same Kms.
    Half thrashing half normal and not much highway Kms
    Stock car + pod filter (for bov sound - stock bov)
    Btw some satnav systems show avg. fuel consumption !

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678