User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel consumption

Not meaning to hijak this thread

Do people find much diff between fuel brands? My personal perspective is that the BP Ultimate seems to provide better consumption than (in my case) V-Power. However thats my personal experience. I know full well that both are 98 and thus very little difference should be noticeable.

I'm just curious as to ppls experiences. Has anyone had a noticeably different experience from one brand to the next? Or am I just smoking crack

2. Default

Currently, there will be a noticeable difference between vendors depending on supply points.

Caltex + BP Refineries together provide over 90% of 98, 95 + 91 RON fuels to Australians, with Shell about 7%, Mobil about 3%. Caltex & BP have exclusive fuel sharing agreements, as does Shell and Mobil. Caltex & BP do not supply Shell, but BP supplies 98 RON (Mobil 6000) to Mobil from time to time when Shell cannot. Mobil only produces 91 + Diesel.

Currently Caltex, BP and Mobil are the only companies in Australia with active Fuel Refineries. Shell's Refinery has been shut down since October last year with Cracker issues (the heart of the refinery), and therefore imports spec fuel from Singapore/India/Asia. Shell has not ordered any Crude (for March + April 09), so we suspect it wont be operational for another 3-4 months.

So, basically to answer your question, Shell fuels are currently imported, and generally lesser quality (even though they have to be Knock tested to Aussie spec before releasing to servos).

So, while Shell is 98 RON rated overseas supplied, BP + Caltex fuels are produced locally and we know where the crude comes from. The Crude most likely used to produce Shell's fuel is most likely dirty crude, and Shell will be blending sources from Singapore, India, and other supplies. Keep in mind that the RON rating is the main spec by which differentiates fuel. This is based on a certain Octane rating.

Therefore, if the fuel is poor quality, Shell may just add Octane to meet spec, but the fuel may still be less efficient, compared to the nice clean locally made non-blended, Aussie made BP + Caltex 98 RON spec fuels.
    Last edited by Wardski; 05-02-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kblume View Post
    I keep a record of kms and fuel used every time i fill up, here's some interesting stats..

2008 Mazda3 MPS w/ Cp-e 3 inch turbo-back & SRI.

Avg Fuel Consumption: 11.52 L/100km

Lowest Fuel Consumption: 8.82 L/100km

Highest Fuel Consuption: 15.92 L/100km

Avg Trip Distance: 435.25 km

Least kms from tank: 307km

Most kms from tank: 556km

Total Spent on Fuel: $2386.45

Above stats have been taken over 32 tanks of fuel, with a total of 14,362km since new. Car is driven how it should be and always use 98 octane V-Power or Ultimate.
    Yeah I keep detailed records too and this looks pretty similar to my figures. My vehicle is closer to 30,000klms now.
    Cheers, Clarry
    Mods: MazdaSpeed CAI, Blue Callipers, Custom Striping ("whiskers"), Garmin Nuvi 760, ScanGauge II, MPS FloorMats

it would be good to have a feature like most vehicles have already, shows how many KMs to go before an empty tank on the MPS

Blog Entries

Yeah its been discussed before and Mazda need to pull their finger out and get it sorted for the new models.

You can do it with a scangauge but it just isn't the same.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Yeah its been discussed before and Mazda need to pull their finger out and get it sorted for the new models.

You can do it with a scangauge but it just isn't the same.
    The 6 has it
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Blog Entries

yes yes yes I know damn you 6 drivers...getting all the cool things

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Currently, there will be a noticeable difference between vendors depending on supply points.

Caltex + BP Refineries together provide over 90% of 98, 95 + 91 RON fuels to Australians, with Shell about 7%, Mobil about 3%. Caltex & BP have exclusive fuel sharing agreements, as does Shell and Mobil. Caltex & BP do not supply Shell, but BP supplies 98 RON (Mobil 6000) to Mobil from time to time when Shell cannot. Mobil only produces 91 + Diesel.

Currently Caltex, BP and Mobil are the only companies in Australia with active Fuel Refineries. Shell's Refinery has been shut down since October last year with Cracker issues (the heart of the refinery), and therefore imports spec fuel from Singapore/India/Asia. Shell has not ordered any Crude (for March + April 09), so we suspect it wont be operational for another 3-4 months.

So, basically to answer your question, Shell fuels are currently imported, and generally lesser quality (even though they have to be Knock tested to Aussie spec before releasing to servos).

So, while Shell is 98 RON rated overseas supplied, BP + Caltex fuels are produced locally and we know where the crude comes from. The Crude most likely used to produce Shell's fuel is most likely dirty crude, and Shell will be blending sources from Singapore, India, and other supplies. Keep in mind that the RON rating is the main spec by which differentiates fuel. This is based on a certain Octane rating.

Therefore, if the fuel is poor quality, Shell may just add Octane to meet spec, but the fuel may still be less efficient, compared to the nice clean locally made non-blended, Aussie made BP + Caltex 98 RON spec fuels.
    Handy information. Thanks Ward

should have it standard across all mazda range tho.

wonder if they would have some sort of ECU update with that extra feature :P heheh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SIRMPS View Post
    it would be good to have a feature like most vehicles have already, shows how many KMs to go before an empty tank on the MPS
    The new SP25 has a trip computer. Which to me means that the new MPS will have it too.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

shame that they didnt include it in the 2008 model *sigh*

HellionXR6T Guest

...Bout time

Oh and yeah! Good info Wardski... Why I try to use BP Ultimate when ever I can. Shell is too unpredictable. BPU is way more consistent which obviously helps with modified & tuned cars.

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

I've done over 50 000klms in mine and have averaged 8.57l. The best has been 7.93. I drive approx 120klm highway, 60klm city per day. Usually get around the 500klms before i fill up.

Sheesh....I can't believe the differences.....worst I've gotten is 400km - best 600kms! Driving like a nanna is the best - but I'm with Dotti - it's no fun!! My half nanna / half non-nanna driving I average about 450kms....I reckon it's worth it!! Definately have to use high octane!

What fuel do you use MEL321???

I drive mine as much as I can and the fuel consumption remains around the same. I fill up when the light comes on. Usually around the 400km mark and this usually takes about 48 litres to fill.

I've just done 60,000 km's in mine. It used only slightly more when new.

I use 98 RON from anywhere during the week and 100 RON on the weekends.

Im gonna need to start driving like a granny, as it is right now im lucky if I get to 450km on one tank

I'd be happy with 450...

I said if I am lucky, which is not the case often at all

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post

Caltex + BP Refineries together provide over 90% of 98, 95 + 91 RON fuels to Australians, with Shell about 7%, Mobil about 3%. Caltex & BP have exclusive fuel sharing agreements, as does Shell and Mobil. Caltex & BP do not supply Shell, but BP supplies 98 RON (Mobil 8000) to Mobil from time to time when Shell cannot. Mobil only produces 91 + Diesel.

Great info Wardski, I use Mobil 98 RON (8000), work account, no choice and with all town driving I get 370-390km and highway driving + city about 440-460km.I think there is better than Mobil but in my case it's better than paying for it.
    I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.........Groucho Marx

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast