User Tag List

Thread: Importing Coilovers from USA

Lightbulb Importing Coilovers from USA

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just trying to find out from anyone with experience, what the pros and cons are, when importing a set of coilovers to Aus from the USA.

With the Aussie $$ still looking pretty favourable to us, I'm looking at importing a set of Coilovers - Tein / BC Racing / H&R / etc.

1. Does anyone know of some reputable US companies that I could use?
    2. Pros and Cons of importing against locally sold
    3. Will Mazdaspeed 3 coilovers be a straight fit to an Aussie spec 3 MPS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mazdaspeed 3 = 3 MPS, so all good there

If one is faulty youll lack the customer service of locally bought.
    My mate bought some coilovers for his MR2. they were a good brand, One was faulty, but he bought them locally so they replaced it very quickly...
    although saying that, id probably import them too. Youll get done for tax over $1000 though.
    Check out www.mazdaspeedforums.org
    Alot of the guys there have coilovers, and there is probably stacks of review threads on them.
    Last edited by Cton; 31-10-2010 at 05:30 PM.

I just picked up a set of Yellowspeed coilovers and got them fitted yesterday - was too lazy + busy to fit myself on weekends. Got them installed in North Melbourne for $200 so it was cheap.
    Coilovers took about 7 days from payment being received and I got them from Protege Garage.
    Reason why I went with Yellowspeed (as I was going to hold off and buy KW3 or Mazdaspeed later) was price (got intro price) even though cheap doesnt mean good, but after running roadmagnet springs which came close to tucking my rear (225/40/18) and ride being really harsh because I think a few of my shocks were near the end of life, i figured why not with the AUD so strong. Also most appear to say they are compared to BC's so good enough for me.
    They feel so much better even though I've only driven the car from the City to Laverton and are set a little firm (15 front 10 rear) they still ride much better and feel more comfortable than my lowered springs/stock shocks. So I'm happy.
    Also found there is a Sydney dealer so I'm sure if I have problems I can contact them..........hopefully no problems though.

If I wasn't going to get coilovers, I would have just got some Bilstein shocks for my springs as I dig the lowness, currenly I'm a touch higher but we will see once its settled.
    Last edited by KRNAGE; 29-10-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Some coilovers are said to be set for Aussie conditions, roads etc etc.... I would be looking into that too.

Thanks for the input guys.

Thinking the importing path will be the most price effective... Now to decide which coilovers?!

Also, that link to the Mazdaspeed forum doesn't work... Found it through Google though.

Ta.
    Last edited by Mafoo81; 31-10-2010 at 07:38 PM.

I have a topic based on this issue with importing from the USA. Its cost efficient, but its not as "easy" as it seems. Especially with MPS garage being the "official distributor" of Corksport etc etc... They will reject all the sales directly.

8. Default

They are not the official importers of most good suspension components.

H&R are good. They have been on my are for the best part of 25,000kms, no issues what so ever with them.

Needed the car raised a little, they were done without issue even after all of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by KRNAGE View Post
    I just picked up a set of Yellowspeed coilovers and got them fitted yesterday - was too lazy + busy to fit myself on weekends. Got them installed in North Melbourne for $200 so it was cheap.
    Coilovers took about 7 days from payment being received and I got them from Protege Garage.
    Reason why I went with Yellowspeed (as I was going to hold off and buy KW3 or Mazdaspeed later) was price (got intro price) even though cheap doesnt mean good, but after running roadmagnet springs which came close to tucking my rear (225/40/18) and ride being really harsh because I think a few of my shocks were near the end of life, i figured why not with the AUD so strong. Also most appear to say they are compared to BC's so good enough for me.
    They feel so much better even though I've only driven the car from the City to Laverton and are set a little firm (15 front 10 rear) they still ride much better and feel more comfortable than my lowered springs/stock shocks. So I'm happy.
    Also found there is a Sydney dealer so I'm sure if I have problems I can contact them..........hopefully no problems though.

If I wasn't going to get coilovers, I would have just got some Bilstein shocks for my springs as I dig the lowness, currenly I'm a touch higher but we will see once its settled.
    MX-Mania in Syd seem to be the authorized dealer for the Yellows....

I've read up some positive posts on MX5 forums, while I was thinking on keeping the MX5 to my self prior to the MPS.

BC ain't that bad either, specially if you get the Gold series, the red ones are rubish....

IMO Teins, KW, H&R etc etc get my vote, thought not cheap....

if cost is a problem, why go through the hassle of bringing them in from the States when you can buy decent sets here in Aus????

btw a friend of mine recently purchased Tein SS for his IS200 and paid $2,600 with EDFC and shipping from Japan, IMO take away EDFC and they could be had for under 2k mark, brand new and if they ever need a rebuild in the future you can get them sent off here in Aus to get them recod...

Alex

yeah thats the place ^^^, tried sending them an email to let them know an MPS is running the coils but it bounced. maybe ill try again on the weekend.
    Not sure on the pricing from them though, but got intro pricing from Protege Garage (where I get all my mods from) and with the AUD strong it was pretty much a $ for $, well ok I paid an extra $4 I think so got them to my door in 7 days for $904 AUD. Fitting was another $200 as I dont have time to work on the car much anymore so it was a bill for $1100 installed.

I've bought all my mods from the US so I'm use to shipping waits and exchange rate was good.

It's the rebuild that is the only thing I'm unsure of but depending on that cost and if MX Mania can help me out. but i havent driven the car for about a week i hardly drive it
    Former 06 Black MPS3

EXE-Crew

Hhhhmmm I've sent inquiries before and had no issues...

For that price it's not bad, specially if it is a daily driver and you want to do some mildly spirited driving in the twisties. I'm thinking on doing some track days in the future so I'd opt for something more tunable and able to be re-built, tho if that goes out the window I'll just bolt up some BCs and call it a day.

Think you can hook us up with a link and also some photos of them from underneath and also how the car's stance is???

Cheers!

Alex

if your at the cruise this weekend you'll get to see. but i do plan to take photos at some stage when the weather stays fine long enough.
    i use to track often but not much any more but id say my coils would do the job. the car stock is great and does the job and does well against many cars that look intimidating

what link you after? underneath probably not till I go for an alignment which is probably not anytime soon. car is not as low as it was........only by a few mm but to me sits flatter
    Former 06 Black MPS3

EXE-Crew

Hi KRNAGE

just a the link from PG mate...

Yeah sweet as man, I'll make sure to have a peek...

I get what you mean, coils with decently valved shocks and higher rated springs will make any MPS sit flatter, IMO the MPS is a tad too soft from factory...

Link to PG here

I haven't had stock suspension for a long time now. If I didnt go Yellowspeed then I was going to look at the Mazdaspeed coils but needed to do something sooner rather than later.

$900! Hrrmmm...got me thinking now. That's about the price of a set of Bilsteins from the states...

Even though I thought I'd never run coilovers, that price has caught my eye.

i had dropped coils off my list and was going to get some bilsteins but when that came up i figured id jump on it
    price has gone up though but you could always ask Ken what he can do, and it arrived within 7 days to me as well

I'm pretty tempted to grab a set of these for the 6 too. They livable with speedhumps etc. Cain? Way too many of those in my area. I'm mostly interested in something that will lower the car and maybe firm up the ride a bit without becoming annoying firm. I've also only seen one review so far which wasn't positive... but the guy said he got the set designed for the 6 not the mps 6. Anyone seen a review of them on the mps 6?

They were awesome at the cruise yesterday, sat so flat and felt in control all the time. Scrapped a little on a few bumps but thats cos im quite low. but normaly id hear the car crash and shudder through the cabin, where now it just "jars" in a sense and not as harsh, probably like what shocks should be doing

Livable, compared to my springs only setup, and im on fairly hard (15/10) so if i soften it up it would be great (maybe 10/8), but im use to a stiff ride (TWSS), plus you probably wouldnt go as low so you should be fine.

I was going to mention that review about them as well, i dont know if they make them for the MPS as it say's they are not compatible for the MPS3 also but they worked fine for me and I'm glad I got them!!!!!!

If I had the cash to join an upcoming track event it would conclude my thoughts so maybe next year if I get the time/money
    Former 06 Black MPS3

EXE-Crew

^^^ Man I forgot to ask you about them lol

Looked like it sat nice and flat from what I could see...

What you have mentioned coincides with what the MX-5 guys say about them, IMO not bad for a budget coilover...

we can discuss on pm or meet up another time!