User Tag List

Thread: Got Gloss?

Default Got Gloss?

Hi Guys

Has been a while since I posted up a detail. Still the same MPS a bit over 3 years on. No before shots as I wasn't that organised. Just some pretty after shots.

One thing for those opposed to machine polishing, in the sun shots note the lack of swirl marks on the bonnet etc If you get your car machined, and it has swirls and buffer trials (holograms) they didn't do it right!

Process was:

The usual wash etc
    Wet sanded a few marks out with 3000 grit
    Optimum Hyper Polish on rotary and Lake Country Hydro Tech Finishing Pad
    Prima Finish on dual action and Lake Country Hydro Tech Finishing Pad
    Isopropyl wipe down
    Optimum Opti-coat
    Cured overnight
    Optimum Gloss Enhancer

That's pretty nice Joel. Would the companies who are doing the Opti-coat for you follow the same kind of process?

Looking great! One day I'll get round to doing this to mine! Need some time on my hands! Preferably after I purchase another motorcycle so I can still have transport if needed while my car is out of action for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    That's pretty nice Joel. Would the companies who are doing the Opti-coat for you follow the same kind of process?
    Yeah mate. If Redline also did some paint correction for you beforehand this is pretty much how it works. They wouldn't pull out the wet sanding though without consulting you first, but the polishing is pretty stock standard.

1. Swirl Removal
    2. Finishing Polish

Then the Isopropyl Alcohol removes all the polishing oils ready for the Opti-Coat.

If there is no machine polishing required though it will just be a non abrasive paint cleaner followed by the IPA.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Looking great! One day I'll get round to doing this to mine! Need some time on my hands! Preferably after I purchase another motorcycle so I can still have transport if needed while my car is out of action for the time being
    You are right. It does take some time! Yesterday was pretty much a write off for me.

Looks awesome Joel

Hmmm. I'll need to send you some photos. Maybe I'm being too picky.

What did you find? I should also add there is a difference between a 2 stage polish (what I mentioned about swirl removal followed by finishing polish) and a "paint correction".

A 2 stage polish will remove most if not all swirl and scratches, but it is just that. A two stage polish. They hit it with a heavy polish, then they hit it with the finishing polish.

A "paint correction" on the other hand they will sit there panel by panel using every combination of products they have until the panel is absolutely flawless.

The price difference between the two is that a 2 stage polish will have a set price based on around 3-4 hours work. A paint correction on the other hand will be charged at an hourly rate and you pay however many hours are required.

My car took me about 7-8 hours all up. It is far from a paint correction though. If you were to look closely around places like door handles, wings, mirrors and other fiddly parts you will find marks. I'm sure if you put it under spdcial LED lighting also some light marks on the main panels might even be there. But under regular sunlight you cannot see them.

Is this what you have experienced or something else?

Under bright sun, at the right angles I can see imperfections. Again, I don't have any expectations. The beading of water is excellent, it's so easy to clean and detail the car. But should I expect a finish like a brand new car?

I'd say what has happened here is the polishing process hasn't removed all the marks. My best suggestion is if you aren't totally satisfied, go and have a chat with them and they might give you a good explanation.

If you spent the money on a paint correction, then you would expect a finish like a brand new car (actually I should say better than new. If you take a look at a car that has just been purchased they have usually already been hammered).

It's hard for me to form an opinion without actually seeing them myself versus what you paid for.

Hi Guys

Anyone considering getting the Opti-Coat, make sure the dealer fully explains your options to you. In this case Brad has not been offered the additional service of the machine polish, even though this is what he actually wanted!

The problem with Brad's car is being resolved, but I'll be putting steps in place to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen in the future