User Tag List

Thread: HID kits how great are they?

1. Default HID kits how great are they?

hi guys

i saw a sale going on for semi slim kaixen hid kits and was wondering since i didnt get the sports pack of the mps3 i might get these?

Who has aftermarket HID's on the car and how better are they then the halogens. plus how would they look in rainy weather?

thanks guys....

Had them on my old SP23, they were awesome. They are illegal however.
    Just level them to make sure you don't blind anyone.
    Will be 10 times brighter then stock halogens i reckon.
    Its cool when all the relectors on the road light up like a christmas tree, sometimes cops hiding with radar guns also light up with their night safe stuff.

In the wet, i think white light isn't the best but i still have no issues seeing the lines.
    The HID's saved me from hitting a small deer once in the royal national park since i saw it a mile away, don't think the halogens would do the same.

Yes they are illegal, so just be aware of that.

You should look into the Phillips HID which are good quality. Bit more expensive however. Regarding rainy conditions, I have factory xenons and its fine. Not sure for aftermarket, but just don't go past 5500kelvin temperature. Anything higher (bluer), you lose light luminance and wont be that great in the wet. The factory xenons range from 4300-5500K depending on the car

4. Default

yeh i know they illegal but that doesnt fuss me

i ended up getting the kaixen kit in 6000k which was recommended temp so why not.....
    anything that is better then halogen... lol

5. Default

Just another question where did you guys mount you ballast? for those who have installed aftermarket ones...

i see if your willing to take the front bumper and headlight out you can mount it under the headlight.... would that include drilling the headlight to mount the ballast with zip ties?
    Here is an example from someone who did it. If any ideas or anyone with pics on where they placed there one would be great help....

THANKS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	5993

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	5994

Gen 1 or 2?

The Gen 2 has a bolt located behind the DS headlight you can mount the ballast to. The PS has one below the headlight (off the chassis rail)

7. Default

It's for gen 1 I would really like to mount it under the actual headlight.
    I'm not sure but maybe the oem ballast goes there. There in the pic looks like three threads for the stock mount?
    It would be good to maybe get the bracket or just make one to fit there?

I'll try and get some photos this weekend of where the stock ballasts go for the Gen1

9. Default

yeh that'll be great man... im gettting them tommorow so hopefully i can find a spot to put them

10. Default

I replaced the halogens with HID for the high beam. Still not a good light but it is brighter. The lens in not adequate as you will still get a lot of light spread instead of the beam focusing down the middle of the road. low beam is OK. Even after realigning them the best I could, I still get a lot of reflected light off road signs. I have the 6000K as well & I think it is a little too white (wouldn't have thought this was possible), but I think a slightly yellower light would be less tiring for distance driving at night (find myself squinting into the light). Mounted the ballast behind the front bumper, very easy to remove. Take your time & don't force anything. I think I made a metal bracket for the passenger side ballast as I didn't want to drill into the car (as it was brand new at the time) - also removed the entire interior & dynamatted the floor & doors to quiten the bugger down but it was the OEM tyres causing all the ruckess. Here are some pics.

Name:	Pic 2.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	6031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 3.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	6030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 1.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	6032

Hey Stormtrooper, welcome! How's the Empire these days?

Seriously, nice pics, very tidy job. You give a practical, day to day account of driving with 6000k HID's which I've been interested in for a while...Much appreciated.

Also, you've done the dyno matt thingy...Was there any improvement in Noise, vibration, heat, etc? I've certainly noticed my Sumitomo's are quieter than the Dunlop's.

Road noise is something that the other half has mentioned and I have definitely considered it...

off topic, but I think most of the road noise comes from the back. you can really notice it when you dont have the parcel shelf. Im gonna look at spraying some stuff inside the wells and stick some spot dynamat on the rear wells inside the cabin. Just need the time atm D:

bleh just noticed you own a gen2 Yeldarb, but I'd imagine its the same or similar to gen1

Yeah, I think it would be the same. Hasn't helped that I've installed a more open exhaust system, but I'd like to be able to control the noise. If I want ppppssshhhh and boooaarrrrr I can slide open the roof and drop the rear windows...

Apologies...for off topic'ness...

14. Default

looks good stormtrooper thanks for the pic will give me more ideas on where to place the ballast....

yes i agree with the noise from the rear in the gen 1's and dont hear much from the front maybe due to engine noise cacelling it out?

15. Default

hey guys i ended up installing the hid's and am really impressed...
    I put them under the headlight with a bit of drilling and zip tieing with the double sided tape they supplied... Dont think it will ever move.
    i have some pics of the HID's and location where i put the ballast if anyone would like to install it this way.

Kaixen HID kit
    Drilling hole in headlight to zip tie ballast into place

Name:	IMG_2278.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	6058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	6059

mounting of Ballast on both head lights with the double sided tape supplied..

Name:	IMG_2288.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	6060

postioned on the car..
    PASSENGER.

Name:	IMG_2286.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	6061

DRIVERS... BTW these are semi slim ballast and they just fit in between headlight and washer bottle tank.

Name:	IMG_2293.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	6062

16. Default

Also had trouble with the 2 clips in the middle of the bumper due to clips being a bit broken at the tab but i found that if you pushed the bumper in and pushed down on the clip it is much easier.

Name:	IMG_2298.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	6063

also end result

Name:	IMG_2303.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	6064

so much glare thats the issue with aftermarket HID. Hope they will be good for you as a driver..