User Tag List

Thread: sri question

Default sri question

hi everyone, i have fitted a CES SRI yesterday and was wondering if it is worth putting a T.I.P on also? My car still has the standard exhaust on it, so is it worth doing it or wait til i do the exhaust?

thanks

Same same but different!
    It will make a difference exhaust or not

Before, after, it's all the same. Every little bit helps.

Did you buy it direct from CES, or from Mercury Motorsport?

To achieve more power out of your MPS it is the installation of a series of small mods that work together to produce results. Sure, there are a few bolt on singular mods that will make a difference but nothing compares to a full intake "and" exhaust system in terms of adding performance. Compliment that with Tune, FMIC, turbo etc (optional) later.

You've done well in getting on board with an intake modification. This is pretty much the first step in increasing HP, as well as pretty much the first point of a working motor (air intake) As you know, any combustion engine requires an air inlet which is mixed with fuel, ignited etc etc. What you've done is pretty much prepare a larger and less restrictive pathway for a higher velocity air flow into the motor.

Although what you've done is great, there are still restrictions. The stock TIP is; in its simplest form, a square bend plastic unit that serves as member between the intake and turbo (inlet). As you will see in the images below, the small air pathway and square bend-like nature, by design can be restrictive and carry though some resistance and possible air turbulence.

By adding a TIP such as a Silicone hose, you are providing a means of air to travel more freely (less resistance due to less bends) you will notice the bend of the silicone hose is a gradual and large radius bend which provides smooth flow, thus gaining maximum advantage based on what your current SRI set-up is already achieving for you.

To be honest, it won't make the world of difference, but it assists in general better air flow through your system. The way I see it, its pointless having a SRI and exhaust in the effort of achieving maximum flow when you still retain a small plastic square bend unit? It's like having a state of the art tennis racket with titanium/graphite light weight head, vibration dampening grippy handle, but then having a neck made of gel!?

If you wish to pursue getting a TIP may I suggest you have it installed the same time you wish to get an exhaust (if you're chasing an exhaust down the track) it's not worth installing a TIP now as it won't offer much (unless you wish to do it on the weekend yourself) This way will actually work out cheaper for you to, having it all installed at once!

Hope that helps a little

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

thanks for the feedback guys. was just thinking if i've done the intake i may as well do the inlet pipe also then that whole part is done and i will just to the exhaust after.

i came down to the CES shed on thursday arvo Troyand picked up the maf housing and the bracket as i had a brand new k&n pod at home unused from a previous car. the maf housing is a great little piece of work u guys do down there.

if i do the inlet pipe is one better then the other ( silicone house vs metal pipe ) ?