User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 215/40/18 vs 225/40/18

Default 215/40/18 vs 225/40/18

Hi everyone.

So the factory Bridgestone 215/40 tyres on my gen 1 MPS 3 need replacing soon. Is it a good idea to replace them with 225/40 instead? Will there be any issues? My only concern with the 225's is it might make the wheels look chunky and balloony taking into consideration that the sidewall height will increase as well as the width.

Your thoughts?

Easy...

Done over 90K kms on 225/40 and heaps better than 215...and cheaper and more selection of brands.

Less tram lining....and better positioning on road...

Some will argue on this forum you cant put 225 on a 7" rim

But afrer 2 sets myself and 90K kms....and others have them as well...

I can personally say....NO PROBLEMS at all.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

I now have 235/40 on a 7.5 CX7 rim....and again....some say you shouldnt do that.... oh well.

Blog Entries

My recommendation is 225/45. 225/40R18 mostly specify 7.5" rim. Generally people ignore that, but it's not really by the book to do so.
    Having said that, the 225/40 on the OEM 7" rims don't look especially baloony to me. 225/40 are a smaller diameter - the sidewall hight is actually a little smaller.
    225/45 on the OEM rim have just a hint of bulge depending on the tyre you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    Hi everyone.

So the factory Bridgestone 215/40 tyres on my gen 1 MPS 3 need replacing soon. Is it a good idea to replace them with 225/40 instead? Will there be any issues? My only concern with the 225's is it might make the wheels look chunky and balloony taking into consideration that the sidewall height will increase as well as the width.

Your thoughts?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Mate, you'll be fine with the 225/40

40 or 45?

Std are 215/45. Alot are going to 235/40. With the 235 you will get abit more roll during cornering and they will be more sensitive to tyre pressures.

I ran 225/45 no problems, it also helps to correct the speedo inaccuracy too.

Have you got any pics of 225's on stock rims by any chance? Close-up ones would be good too!

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    Easy...

Done over 90K kms on 225/40 and heaps better than 215...and cheaper and more selection of brands.

Less tram lining....and better positioning on road...

Some will argue on this forum you cant put 225 on a 7" rim

But afrer 2 sets myself and 90K kms....and others have them as well...

I can personally say....NO PROBLEMS at all.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

I now have 235/40 on a 7.5 CX7 rim....and again....some say you shouldnt do that.... oh well.

I went to 225.40 Just before I sold it. Looked a bit too weird for me. Stuck out too much. Tyre shine made it appear better as it kind of blends all the angles a bit. It did handle a little better though. Bit more grip.

8. Default

yeh get the 225/40 more options --->>> cheaper

I'm thinking of going back to 225 on 8" rims instead of the 235. I find the 235 wear more on the corners compared to the 215's i had on stocko's so I may try 225's next time...

forgot about cost! 215 45 18 are not popular and therefore cost too much.

I took everyone's advice and changed my tyres to 225/40/18 Pirelli Nero's, now it handle's like a fukn boat compared to the Advan 215/45's which were on there

Worst decision ever - I turn, car decides to actually move 1/2 a second later... so retarted - has been like this since fitted

12. Default

Is it just because the tyres are very new ? shouldnt make that much difference to the handling so much so that you call it a boat

I run 225/45 on standard rim and handles great much better than 215/45 standard more grip do balloon a little but looks fine.

Have Yokohama Sdrives changing to Pirelli Pzero's next month, quieter and same grip as Yokohama's.

Think you just need to give it a bit of time for the tyres to bed in properly.
    I honestly don't believe you will notice much of a difference under normal driving unless your real name is michael Schumacher.
    In theory, the 225's should give a little less turn in. But like I said, you shouldn't notice much. Or at least shouldn't be the extreme difference you describe.

Just changed the tyres for a second time today. Tyre bed-in should have nothing to do with the roll that I received in the Pirellis (225's), as the grip was still quite good (even though theres still silicon galore over them).

The main issue was the amount of sidewall flex that the Pirellis have, pretty shit really.

Have changed to Bridgestone RE050s (215's), feel is very good.

16. Default

Did you have them pumped up enough I know as soon as my pressure is down cause everything feels sloppy and not precise in the steering, I still find it hard to believe you are getting such a crap driving experience from Pirellis

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Guess it probably doesnt matter diddly squat now youve changed them and seem happy with the birdgestones, im sure someone here will buy the pirellis off you

What you're describing is contradictory of the case construction of the Nero. More likely to be a wheel alignment issue that was revealed by a better quality and more communicative tyre.

What KMH says is very likely.
    Better the tyre, more likely it is to accentuate any faults the suspension may have.
    It's highly recommended to get a wheel alignment when you get new tyres

Also Blackbetty's idea of tyre pressures could be right.
    My car is very sensitive to pressure changes. If it's not spot on, you can certainly pick it right away. That's the 1st thing I would look at.
    Never have I owned or driven a car where even the slightest tyre pressure change makes such a difference

Were they fitted to the std 7" rims?

when i fitted the 225's the new buyer of my car liked the suspension set very firm. I drove it to work and on the lynbrook entrace to the freewy its a full u- turn at speed and it hung on so much easier than 215's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast