User Tag List

Thread: Anyone run RAYS volk wheels? Need recommendation

1. Default Anyone run RAYS volk wheels? Need recommendation

as i said, i need some info about rays wheel on mps.,
    could anyone run these wheels please post some pictures.

Cheers.

Check Blackbetty's rims. They're not bad if that's your type of thing?

3. Default

hello,
    i need forged, of course, light, wheel, and i like JDM stuff.
    also, the caliper clearance is very important,
    is that true rays wheels are not popular in Australia?
    cheers.

The reason you don't see them much is cost; Volk are very expensive in Australia. $700+ a wheel is not uncommon so your'e talking $2800+ before you even consider tyres.

Having said that, you dont have to go forged to get lightweight. Enkei are an example of a JDM lightwight wheel that are reasonably popular and quite well priced, certainly a LOT cheaper than Volk. While not forged, they are verging on being effectively so because Enkei use a different method of casting that makes the wheels extremely strong. RP03 and RPF1 are classic examples.

Lucifuge is right.
    I think most people buy the volks/rays just for brag rights.
    There are plenty of wheels that are nearly as light and nearly as strong for much less money. I don't think anybody would notice the difference. Your bank account will however.

The most important thing you'll need to look at is the offset.
    Mazda have a strange offset, and very few companies make rims of the right offset.
    Rota does, and I think they are excellent value (father and brother have them)
    +45 offset (common) and you could have rubbing issues especially when lowered. Will need to have your guards rolled.
    My mps 3 at stock height has no problems though with +45

6. Default

Much like bd581 I was going to suggest the offset as being a reason why people do not run them, but thats just not true.

Most of the Volks come in 18x 7.5 +43 and +50 or at least the RE30's do, which are a very popular wheel for Evo's and STI's.

This is a link to the Rays NZ site, choose a wheels you like and it will have specs.

Much like this for RE30's in 18s

I think the simple reason is other wheels of the same quality are cheaper, while Rays is also a little unknown in Australia.