User Tag List

Thread: Not happy with Mazda HQ

Angry Not happy with Mazda HQ

I'm sorry for the long story, but here goes...

I've had my '05 6MPS from new (nearly 4 1/2 years). I've done 40,000 kms. I don't drive hard, and I've never 'launched' it. DSC is always on. In fact I could probably count on 2 hands the amount of times I've gone over 5000 rpm. Some might ask why the hell I have this car... but that's another story.

I've been having a minor issue (for nearly 2 years) where if I put the car into reverse, drive a few metres, then brake, I'd hear a loud 'Clunk' sound. If I then went forward a few metres (changing into 1st gear) and braked, 'Clunk'. I had no idea what it was and in normal driving, there was no noise when braking. It seems that it will only happen when changing directions.
    I took it to Blacktown Mazda about 18 months ago and told them about this, and they reset the anti-rattle clips and 'tightened the suspension components'. They said it might be brake disc related and would have to live with it until replaced. After a few days it started 'clunking' again. I just ignored it.
    I took it to McGrath Mazda Liverpool on Feb 2010, and asked them to check this (car still had 2 months manufacturer warranty). They basically said the exact thing that Blacktown Mazda did. Clunking persisted.

Last week I took it to McGrath Mazda for the 40k . Dealt with a guy called Elie. Really nice guy (I overheard a conversation he was having and apparently he's only been there for a week, came from Holden). I told him about the 'clunking'... again.
    This time, it's a whole new story (car is now out of warranty). It would seem that the 'bushes' (suspension??... I don't know too much about the nitty gritty of car components) are damaged and need replacing, and that is what's causing the 'clunking'.

Elie volunteered to see if they can get the work done under 'warranty' as I have complained about this issue for nearly 2 years.

Mazda got back to him and said NO. Elie wasn't happy with this and can't understand why they have rejected this claim. He is going to talk to a Mazda rep next week.

To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement. As much as I love the car (and the various RX-7's I've had along the way), I am now in a position where I may have to look elsewhere for any future car.

I have some questions. Does the problem sound like it is related to the bushes? (for the love of god, what are they and what do they do?)
    As they quoted about $1000 to replace (including labour), are there any alternatives to the stock mazda components (maybe from a performance point of view )?

Thanks for reading.

Sorry for the bad service you seem to have gotten from Mazda mate. Your car seems to have done fairly low kms for its age, nice work. I can't comment too much about your problem but I would say it is definitely suspension related,especially seeing the noise comes from altering direction and shifting the weight around. May I ask if you get any noises during low speed turns, left right left right? Also...do you get any noise turning the wheel left right left right 'on the stop' The reason I ask is, I have a problem with my Ball joint which causes a "click" or "clunk" noise.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Hi Rogwick. The only noise I get is that 'clunk'. Normal driving, turning, braking, full wheel lock on the spot is all quiet.

Maybe give here a read and see if any of it helps... creaking-noise-coming-front-end

Guess it depends on whether it is a "creak" or a "clunk".

1. The most common one is lose brake pads in their retainers. A light clunk or click. I get it sometimes, not often, when maneuvering around my carport area. Nothing to worry about.
    2. Next is a locking up back axle on a hard surface when reversing under load, such as over a bump, or up a slope, on a tight lock. A heavy clunk. This is transmission wind-up as the wheels aren't slipping and the rear diff is not unlocking. Nothing to worry about, unless it happens all the time, in which case I'd reset the diff tensions.
    3. "Creaking" sounds when maneuvering forward or back is usually from front end suspension and/or engine mounts. Nothing to worry about. Get them tightened up at the next service.

I've had them all. Car is running better than ever. I have 45K km on mine, drive pretty much like you most of the time, but mine is tweaked.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 20-10-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I've had issues with Liverpool. I'll never be going back. Call Mazda and put in a complaint. Next time do yourself a favour and take it to Tom Kerr, speak to John Gilmore and let him know justin from Ozmps sent you. I get nothing out of it but he will look after you. ask Cton.

^ Yep, John is awesome. Top guy who is very good at his job!