User Tag List

Thread: Noisy LSD.

Default Noisy LSD.

So my car just had a full complete engine fitted under warranty,
    Now the diff has the wong wong or whatever you want to call it, when its still cold, turning slowly (1st gear) but lightly on the throttle.
    So my question is does the gearbox/LSD oil need to dumped when removing the engine? I know there is a few threads on this already so sorry for that, but from what i can gather the Mazda fix for this is using a penrite GL-5 oil instead of a GL-4? And in the long run this is no good for it, so does this wong/ whah noise even matter anyway? I know a few people use the Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. Do i need to worry about fixing this noise or not?
    Thanks in advance......

Damn, new engine???

Was this because of the oil leak?

Yeah, I must have missed that whole story too. I've been watching your Oil leak thread, and then suddenly, ENGINE CHANGE? Crazy!

Porous engine block...

Welcome to the Wong Club Cton! .

Did they mess around with your tranny fluid at any point during the engine replacement (i'm not mechanically minded )?

Cuz my Gen 2 started getting the wong wong noise after a tranny flush....

They actually replaced my whole transmission.... but then a few wks later the noise was back. I'm due for a service in November so i will discuss the matter with my service department soon.

Let me know if u find a solution Cton, its driving me mad

Its normal...
    You get used to it .

My worry is that it did not do it before. So why does it now? Have they used a different fluid?

Blog Entries

Mine didn't do it new. It developed it after thousands of K's, can't recall how many. I've been happy with the penrite SYN-75W90 (? - check that) as a solution. Yes it's a GL5+ oil, but if you read the specs carefully you'll note that it meets the requirements of the diff and gearbox (often GL5 generally don't), and while I was briefly concerned about long term effects, the penrite is compatible with copper alloys (a GL5 specific concern), and meets the LSD needs. Shifts are cleaner quieter and I've not seen any sign of the LSD struggling because of it. When I uptune, I'll pay closer attention to that again and if I think the LSD is going to struggle, I might pull back to a GL4 and put up with the noise, but I'm happy enough with the penrite for now. I don't believe it's doing any damage. People might slag mazda's support off from time to time, but I'm fairly confident they did their homework choosing the penrite, as I haven't found another GL5 yet that specs as well for use in the MPS.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Hey Cton,
    Any update on this issue?
    Or just too busy respray your wheel?
    Looks awesome BTW

I'm due for a service soon so i will be bringing this matter up again.

I rang them about it and he was going to call me back. That never happened, Ill have to try sort it out myself, thanks once again Mazda!

Different gearbox oils make the noise louder / quieter I found Royal Purple to be fairly noisy, Redline MT90 not so much, its just a part of these cars, the noise is just the clutch packs in the diff, a true geared LSD wouldn't make these noises

Oh well, I'll mention mine to my service department again.

See what happens.

You guys know that GL5>GL4...where's our resident oils and lubricants guru to fill in the details?

yeah, theres alot of debate over the correct GL4 or GL5.
    I know alot of the guys in the US are even adding friction modifiers to it. From what ive heard this is not good.
    I dont even care about the noise, as long as i know 100% its not damaging anything.
    and why does it not do it from factory? what the hell oil comes in it?

Hey Cotn, a same situation happened to me. Long story short i had a new clutch replaced @ 20,000km under warranty. After which the Wong Wong noise was there (only when turning). I got Mazda to investigate this issue already (1 and a half weeks) and the manager inquired about the gearbox oil to HQ. They replaced a "new type of gearbox oil recommended by Mazda" and now the wong wong noise is gone. Id say get them to have a look into it and get this "new gearbox oil"

Also, apparently cars like MPS and BT-50 use all "specific" gearbox oil in which if an aftermarket one is used the wong wong noise will be there. (dont know if it's true because i haven't tested anything else)

Thanks, i think they use a Penrite SIN75W90 gearbox oil for this fix, but that is a GL5 oil which some say is no good.

.....Cheers for the info guys, mines developed wong wong too... Must mention it to the service dept.

This is deflnately due to fluid changes. the driveshafts and gearbox would be removed to replace the engine. so the fuild in the gearbox would be required to be dumped. and sounds like they have put int a different viscosity of oil in it when puting it all back together.

mine has had this noise since about 15,000ks im about to get new tranny fluid when i get my 100k service should i be asking them to put a specific fluid in to make the noise less ?

Tunehouse changed my fluid out with Castrol VMX 80. Its Perfect now. Whatever the dealer used sucked balls!