User Tag List

Thread: Mazda shows off new BT-50 pickup in Australia

Default Mazda shows off new BT-50 pickup in Australia

Filed under: Truck, Work, Mazda, Off-Road

2011 Mazda BT-50 - Click above for high-res image gallery

Now that the global Ford Ranger has received its debut, Mazda has taken the time to show off its take on the mid-sized pickup at the Australian International Motor Show. The Japanese automaker calls its version the BT-50, and it wears plenty of the company's Nagare design language. Along with the swept nose and headlights, Mazda has thrown in similarly fluid taillights out back that remind us of the units on the CX-9 crossover. Mazda says that the company was going for a "sophisticated beast" look. We've certainly heard stranger marketing claims, but it the image of sasquatch in a suit does make us chuckle.

And what, pray tell, is under that shapely hood? Mazda isn't saying at the moment, but we'd be surprised if the company didn't plan to share power plants with the 2011 Ranger. If that's the case, buyers can expect to choose between a thrifty 2.2-liter turbo-diesel four-cylinder with 150 horsepower and 276 pound-feet of torque and larger displacement diesel and gasoline options backed by six-speed gearboxes.

Sadly, it looks like you can forget about seeing the BT-50 in the States. Just like the Ranger, this pickup won't be gracing our shores in any official capacity. Hit the jump for the press release.

Gallery: 2011 Mazda BT-50

[Source: Mazda]Continue reading Mazda shows off new BT-50 pickup in Australia

Mazda shows off new BT-50 pickup in Australia originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

I like!

Good to see Mazda are revamping their Commercial vehicles too!

Yeh the boys were out yesterday in them climbing dirty piles of mud , I didn't get a invite dam them, i haven't played in mud for a while ....

As i said on fb to mazda australia

Im not a fan of the grille or front end.....

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Now I've had a closer look.... Hilux anyone?

Ssangyong looking in the pictures.
    Probably look better in the flesh. But not my type of car anyway

it looked quite good, way better than the current stupid smile of the rest of the range.

i own a bt-50 n thats ugly new ford looks alot nicer imo