User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I paint my brake calipers?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post

notice any extra power?
    This is true, I noticed a difference right away, also, more folks checking me and my ride out so I must have gained about 20 points on the "cool" not just the power scale!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    This is true, I noticed a difference right away, also, more folks checking me and my ride out so I must have gained about 20 points on the "cool" not just the power scale!
    Not to mension to short stopping distance!
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Thanks RR!!! yeah dark rims (shadow) effect wouldn't go astray!!!

& lol. @ other comment.......certainly extra power!!! Jokes aside love the deep glossy red look

Any one in Perth willing to meet up and doing it with me? I'll pay for all the paint and stuff and decals, reason being is I'm retarded when it comes to DIY jobs, get to frustrated and lose concentration (A.D.H.D)

I'm looking at doing this, do you need to remove the calipers? Or is it pretty easy to mask everything off and paint them while they're still on?

Easy to paint them with Calliper's still on mate, this might help you out...

To do mine, first of all jack the car up and take the wheels off. I didn't look online or any tutorials for prep I just went at it, this is what I did.

1. After the wheels are off I used a brush (like brush and pan) to get off most of the brake dust off the calliper
    2. Once done, I used a wire brush in combination with the first brush. Wire brush getting off any dirt/surface rust/dust etc then the normal brush to get all the dust off "again & again"
    3. I got some petrol in a tub and used a painters brush to apply petrol (can use kerosene or something) liberally on and around the calliper. Petrol probably works best, for me anyway.
    4. Once its dripping in petrol and looking fairly clean, get some soapy water (car wash or dish-washing det) and scrub the calliper. Doing this pretty much gets all the petrol off the disc, won't clean it much as the petrol has already done that due to its chemical properties.
    5. If you have a high pressure cleaner (if not just a hose), use it to clean everything that is left of the calliper. I don't see too much of a problem using pressure here but if not sure use a low setting. Best not to direct pressue on the brake lines or the pads etc, just the calliper itself (casing)
    6. Leave to dry until you are SURE it is dry. Doing the job outside in the sun is always good (if its not a windy day) Do this for both callipers or all four at the same time if you have vehicle stands

7. Ready to prep for paint.
    8. I used a combination of Newspaper, Duct-tape, electrical tape, old bed sheet or something if you like too. No this isn't Macgyver!
    9. I taped up the disc, brake lines, suspension, struts, pretty much everything other than the calliper. This is where duct tape is good because its wide and covers most of the disc in one hit. The newspaper was pretty much a covering for over-spray. You can also bend and manipulate the tape around inside areas and even scrunch it up inside the calliper with a lip sticking out to grab it later.
    10. You can tape up the bed sheet on your car if you wish, but if its not windy I wouldn't. Clamp it under the bonnet and drape it and tape it.
    11. Once happy everything is covered adequately apply the paint.
    12. I found doing plenty of little light sprays works better rather than a big long spray that can potentially run. Spray from multiple angles too.
    13. Once I've put plenty of light even sprays it should look dark red or maroon in colour (call this your "first" even coat) at this point I moved to the other calliper and repeat steps 7-12
    14. Go back to the first calliper and repeat step 11. Once finished it will look hot red and insanely good!
    15. Rotate the disc in place (make sure in neutral, dur!) Any spray that has got onto the disc, use prep sol or petrol or wax & grease remover to get it off easy
    16. Step back and appreciate your work, crack open a beverage of your choosing

17. Once touch dry (read on can) about 30mins to and hour carefully remove the newspaper and taping around the disc, brake lines etc etc. You will know its still wet if you stick you nail into the calliper and it leaves a mark. Once fully dry it will be like pressing with you nail against a rock...solid.
    18. Pretty much done, repeat for rear callipers unless you did the all the same time. Apply a decal if you wish "MPS" optional.
    19. Put the wheel back and and safely lower the vehicle
    20. Leave to dry for a day before driving (heat), all good!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Heat resistant paint, such as engine enamel, is a good idea too or it will all peel off faster than you can say "crash stop".

8. Post Help on products

Hey guys i just bought a black mps, and i want to paint my wheels black and i am not sure on the color of the calipers but most probably going red i think!... just have a couple of questions on the products that i am gonna need, could anybody that have done give us a list of brands ?

Paint
    Clear coat

I am not very good in painting but i give it a try ...

cheers

Clear coat won't be needed. The colour should be gloss from the can.

If you can't get the colour you want in caliper paint, engine enamel will suffice. It's not a race car. Just use the hi-temp black as a base coat.

Quote Originally Posted by ERICKO MPS View Post
    Hey guys i just bought a black mps, and i want to paint my wheels black and i am not sure on the color of the calipers but most probably going red i think!... just have a couple of questions on the products that i am gonna need, could anybody that have done give us a list of brands ?

Paint
    Clear coat

I am not very good in painting but i give it a try ...

cheers
    Y do red like everyone else, why not brown .. Im going black with red decals
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    My pref too!!
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    I think it's highly dependent too on the colour of the car. For a colour like mine for example (Aluminum), I think red calipers look absolutely brilliant. I wouldn't consider painting them any other colour.

AB also looks good with red. A rich yellow would also look good. Blacks and whites probably have a few more options that would look really good. For reds you'd need to be a bit careful IMO. True Red with red calipers would look ok, but I think the metallic deeper red would be better with black or maybe yellow.

It is a personal preference, but I think there are also some fundamental colour matching and design elements that have to be considered to keep the balance of the car looking right

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

13. Default

You can get this one from auto stores in australia If you get the g2 from u.s.a they cant send you the caliper cleaner because its in aerosole can. to buy the cleaner alone your looking at $15 the g2 kit with postage another $100 The aussi one is made by dupi colar And cost $45 exact same paint

What are some of the important components that you have to tape up around the calipers?? Brake line.. Brake pads? Any screws or anything?

I would cover everything you don't intend to paint. It's also a good idea to tape up/cover the brake disc as you don't want to clog up the pads with paint when the disc rotates. Insulation tape or masking tape is easy to wrap around so just cover it all and peel off once done

Ive got the Aluminium car and was tossing between yellow calipers (with black MPS decal) or blue calipers (with white or chrome MPS decal). I'll be respraying the wheels matte black. Im leaning towards blue calipers. Any thoughts or comments?

Both would look the tits but IMO blue with chrome decal would look good, go for a darker blue. I have a red gen 1 and will be painting them Yellow with the black decal and clear coat.I have all the materials ready to go, just waiting on my braided brake lines to start/finish my brake upgrade. A lot of people paint their calipers on the car. I will be removing mine completely to get the best finish possible and bleeding new dot 5 fluid right through the lines when done. Bit more work and mess but i think the results are worth it.

I've got a true red MPS3 and wanting to do my callipers next but tossing between the colours. Either :

Red with black decals
    Yellow with black decals
    Black with red decals
    Blue with red decals

What do you guys think?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

1st or 3rd options. Like the first more though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

20. Default

Red with white decal?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast